Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
Were the indictments today totally unexpected or was a previous arrest something that has already been reported?

The fact that we dont know shows you how buried it is. The tree poisoning is easier to find.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
The fact that we dont know shows you how buried it is. The tree poisoning is easier to find.

From the Google, it seems like they were actually arrested on March 11th of this year, more than 2 months ago. They were charged with the crimes at that time and dismissed from the team at that time. The indictments are just additional charges on top of the previous stuff.

In other words...yeah, the indictments coming down are old news.

Except the indictments were brought down today, which is new news. Alot newer and relevant that some of the s*** I've been seeing in college football headlines thats for sure.

I'm still holding out hope that ESPN will retract its inaccurate story about Thad Gibson getting his car for free, but im not holding my breath.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Except the indictments were brought down today, which is new news. Alot newer and relevant that some of the s*** I've been seeing in college football headlines thats for sure.

I'm still holding out hope that ESPN will retract its inaccurate story about Thad Gibson getting his car for free, but im not holding my breath.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2...on-paid-for-car

Just read the article, although still citing some inaccurate facts, at least ESPN the mag pointed out the other schools that have been busted or punished in the last year and I'll give em credit for that. Many of which didnt end up at prominent stories.

USC

USan Fran

AZ

Moorehead

Tennessee Chat

Michigan

Texas Tech

UConn

Cal

SMU

ASU

UNC

Boise St

Tennessee

LSU

Oregon

South Carolina

San Diego

Auburn

All in one years time.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
Just read the article, although still citing some inaccurate facts, at least ESPN the mag pointed out the other schools that have been busted or punished in the last year and I'll give em credit for that. Many of which didnt end up at prominent stories.

USC

USan Fran

AZ

Moorehead

Tennessee Chat

Michigan

Texas Tech

UConn

Cal

SMU

ASU

UNC

Boise St

Tennessee

LSU

Oregon

South Carolina

San Diego

Auburn

All in one years time.

If you don't see the difference between Ohio State and Tennessee Chattanooga, you are more of a homer than I thought.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
If you don't see the difference between Ohio State and Tennessee Chattanooga, you are more of a homer than I thought.

You gotta admit, it's sorta impressive to have both the main campus and the #2 satellite campus facing separate NCAA investigations in the same year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
You gotta admit, it's sorta impressive to have both the main campus and the #2 satellite campus facing separate NCAA investigations in the same year.

None of this would have attracted much attention if Tressel doesn't do his best Bruce Pearl impersonation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
None of this would have attracted much attention if Tressel doesn't do his best Bruce Pearl impersonation.

Actually they are very different situations.

My point was there are a ridiculous amount of schools that are being punished, and alot of them havent made a single headline. kudos to ESPN for actually putting the list out there.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Sad news, Austin Box, OU LB passed away.

http://enidnews.com/localnews/x467553598/B...sive-in-El-Reno

This is really too bad. sounds like it may have been an OD. I suspect football at both the college and pro levels has an absolutely enormous problem with players abusing pain killers, and it seems to get such little press.

Edited by daa84

I don't get it... the guy even says;

"They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening to all of them rules," Small said. "You go out and you just, people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like 'Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back."

So basically he was well aware that what he was doing was against the rules, but he did it anyway.

What exactly is the team to do? You educate them, you can't sit there and hold their hand.

The guy knew the rules, but he went against them. How is that the team's fault?

QUOTE (T R U @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
That would be awesome if Ohio State got the ole SMU Death Penalty

Lol. Couldn't be more different situations, but I'm sure you knew that before posting this.

Lack of institutional control is the new death penalty, which is what was upheld in USC's case yesterday for which they lose 30 scholarships and bowl games. Players selling their own property when being taught it was against the rules does not fall into the same category.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't get it... the guy even says;

"They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening to all of them rules," Small said. "You go out and you just, people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like 'Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back."

So basically he was well aware that what he was doing was against the rules, but he did it anyway.

What exactly is the team to do? You educate them, you can't sit there and hold their hand.

The guy knew the rules, but he went against them. How is that the team's fault?

Which is why he spent half of his career suspended from the team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Lol. Couldn't be more different situations, but I'm sure you knew that before posting this.

Lack of institutional control is the new death penalty, which is what was upheld in USC's case yesterday for which they lose 30 scholarships and bowl games. Players selling their own property when being taught it was against the rules does not fall into the same category.

I know, I was only dreaming

QUOTE (T R U @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
I know, I was only dreaming

You could help that dream if you want to move to Columbus. They have 2 openings in their compliance dept, making it by far the biggest in the country. Of course you have to monitor all 1100 student athletes, not just the football team.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 26, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
That would be awesome if Ohio State got the ole SMU Death Penalty

Nobody will ever get that again, I think the NCAA themselves said that. How much trouble Ohio State gets in probably depends on how many of the accusations against them are true. The NCAA usually takes far too long on their investigations, but I can see why they would take long on this one, because it seems like there is a new accusation against Ohio State every couple of weeks. They are going to get in a ton of trouble, but USC basically lost basically half of their scholarships for three years (10 a year for 3 years, and when you consider the scholly limit is 85, that's about 21 a year), a national title, and two years of potential postseason games. It doesn't get much more brutal than that. Then again, I really don't see how Ohio State is going to defend themselves. They might not have had a lack of institutional control, but their ignorance defense is clearly a crock.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 26, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
Nobody will ever get that again, I think the NCAA themselves said that. How much trouble Ohio State gets in probably depends on how many of the accusations against them are true. The NCAA usually takes far too long on their investigations, but I can see why they would take long on this one, because it seems like there is a new accusation against Ohio State every couple of weeks. They are going to get in a ton of trouble, but USC basically lost basically half of their scholarships for three years (10 a year for 3 years, and when you consider the scholly limit is 85, that's about 21 a year), a national title, and two years of potential postseason games. It doesn't get much more brutal than that. Then again, I really don't see how Ohio State is going to defend themselves. They might not have had a lack of institutional control, but their ignorance defense is clearly a crock.

Actually their defense is that Tressel hid the infraction and then lied, and that pretty much looks like the truth at this point. All that dumbass had to do was report the emails to the compliance dept.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 26, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Tate Forcier tried killing himself.

something weird took place but its still early to say he tried kill himself.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...rn=ncaaf-wp1928

The strange tales of Tate Forcier continued today after a Grand Rapids television station reported that the former Michigan quarterback had an episode at an apartment complex last month that led to the police being called and Forcier being hospitalized.

Police were called to the apartment complex where Forcier's girlfriend lived on April 22 after someone spotted Forcier hanging out of the third-floor apartment window.

No one will say whether this was a suicide attempt, but the police report says the woman who called was concerned Forcier would jump from the window.

Officers were able to get Forcier to open the bedroom door. He was not arrested, but transported to a hospital.

GRPD released a report, redacting several details. When contacted, officers would not provide additional details, citing medical privacy laws.

Not exactly sure what to make of this latest Forcier story especially since there's no definitive evidence that this was a suicide attempt or even a cry for help. The details of the report are so vague that it's difficult to understand what Forcier's motives really were.

Earlier this month, Forcier told Miami he had no intention of playing there despite signing a financial aid agreement back in February. Forcier began his career at Michigan, started briefly, was replaced by Denard Robinson, placed on academic probation and ultimately sought a transfer.

Once Forcier backed out of Miami there was wide speculation about where he might end up, but this latest incident will definitely raise some questions with potential suitors.