Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

Well Im not going to get into extreme speculation that involves absolutely no evidence (money exchanges hands like that at every university) which is why I stated "pay college athletes" because that would make it legal and then we wouldnt have to worry about nonsensical investigations about how college kids were interested in free things.

The second part, well its unfair that team decided to break the rules to get an advantage over the rest of the conference. As for the players, they can transfer (which many do).

There have to be some penalties for breaking the rules and the NCAA just doesnt do enough.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Well Im not going to get into extreme speculation that involves absolutely no evidence (money exchanges hands like that at every university) which is why I stated "pay college athletes" because that would make it legal and then we wouldnt have to worry about nonsensical investigations about how college kids were interested in free things.

The second part, well its unfair that team decided to break the rules to get an advantage over the rest of the conference. As for the players, they can transfer (which many do).

There have to be some penalties for breaking the rules and the NCAA just doesnt do enough.

When a team is punished in this matter the players should be able to transfer without the year penalty, if that was the case I'd be 100% behind it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
lol College athletes get "paid".

Anyways, the reason they still have to play is that other teams have that team scheduled as well. For example, if Wisconsin couldnt play OSU this year, Wisconsin would be penalized as well. That doesnt seem fair now does it?

So the penalized team still plays its games, it just cant reap the rewards.

To be fair, they get a free college tuition, room and board.

Good,

Maybe it will make players think about committing to an institution with a shady track record. Im pretty sure that recruiting is the area where a lot of the rules are broken, so as a recruit you have a pretty good idea about what teams are playing by the rules and which are not.

You feel bad for the kids who had nothing to do with it, but at the same time does anyone honestly believe that Miami/OSU recruits had no idea what was going on? That they were all shocked?

SS2k,

Unfortunately the education they receive isnt worth nearly as much as the revenue they bring into the school. Some of the most talented are risking millions in the NFL for thousands of dollars in college. Even worse, a college degree is only worth something if you can use it. Just because a football player has a degree, doesnt mean theyll get hired.

Id rather they get some cash in their pocket, that way if they are injured, etc they at least have something tangible for their sacrifice. A college scholarship is great, I just think they deserve more.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Good,

Maybe it will make players think about committing to an institution with a shady track record. Im pretty sure that recruiting is the area where a lot of the rules are broken, so as a recruit you have a pretty good idea about what teams are playing by the rules and which are not.

You feel bad for the kids who had nothing to do with it, but at the same time does anyone honestly believe that Miami/OSU recruits had no idea what was going on? That they were all shocked?

Are you serious? How about kids that commit to a "clean" school, then has teammates commit infractions while they are there? Then he is forced to play his last two years under NCAA probation, while he did nothing wrong. Should he have know better?

And how is a HS kid supposed to know every shady deal going on at every college in America? Come on now.

Why is it Miami/OSU? There were no recruiting violations at OSU, so not sure why you are lumping them together there. Miami actually had recruits at those events etc. Did the 26 players that were found to be getting extra benefits at Wisconsin gain a recruiting advantage because it was clear players took money? I would say recruiting advantages happen in conjunction with coach contact outside of the rules instead of actual cash exchanging hands with current players.

Second, the players DO get paid outside of room board etc, they get a stipend although its very small. And they get this as well as other benefits all the way down to the non-BCS schools.

And I just got back from Madison, where in the hell is the tailgating there? I walked all around Camp Randall this morning and couldnt find anything. Is it all off campus somewhere?

Edited by RockRaines

Rock,

Was just using the most recent examples of teams getting in trouble. As for Wisconsin, if Wisconsin broke the rules and couldnt play in the postseason I wouldnt expect them to be able to play in the CCG. It has nothing to do with recruiting advantage (I dont even think I mentioned that).

Regardless of the small stipend I think the players should get more.

Im not sure where they would be tailgating on a Thursday. I know that on Saturday games they have huge areas around the stadium, and Ive never driven so not sure where the lots are. Id say it was the Southwest corner.

Yeah, I didnt find anything, maybe they had restrictions on thursdays, I know the locals were concerned about the noise (not sure why they live there then). I went to dinner last night at the Great Dane, what a f***ing awesome place. Madison is unbelievably cool, I forget about it from time to time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Meanwhile, Georgia Tech gets harsher penalties than anyone for not even having their players do anything illegal in the long run. Oh well, we all know the NCAA is an absolute joke.

3 players from OSU were suspended today for taking home a gift bag from a breast cancer awareness event containing a mouse pad, tshirt and other small items that were given to all attendees.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
3 players from OSU were suspended today for taking home a gift bag from a breast cancer awareness event containing a mouse pad, tshirt and other small items that were given to all attendees.

Well this Wisconsin game looks like it could be very 1 sided and boring.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Rock,

Was just using the most recent examples of teams getting in trouble. As for Wisconsin, if Wisconsin broke the rules and couldnt play in the postseason I wouldnt expect them to be able to play in the CCG. It has nothing to do with recruiting advantage (I dont even think I mentioned that).

Regardless of the small stipend I think the players should get more.

Im not sure where they would be tailgating on a Thursday. I know that on Saturday games they have huge areas around the stadium, and Ive never driven so not sure where the lots are. Id say it was the Southwest corner.

Badger, do you REALLY think giving the players more would stop them from taking other money? Hell no it wouldn't. These kids aren't taking stuff because they have no money. They take it because its offered and it is a materialistic, selfish world.

And for the football player that gets his degree and can't get hired... its his own damned fault! The players have networking opportunities no other student has, if they would simply be smart and take advantage of them. A major college athlete can pretty much write his own ticket if he graduates, applies himself a little, takes advantage of the networking opprtunities available and has a half way decent work ethic when in a situation where a coach isn't yelling at him to do so.

Let's not act like these players have it bad. They simply don't!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
Badger, do you REALLY think giving the players more would stop them from taking other money? Hell no it wouldn't. These kids aren't taking stuff because they have no money. They take it because its offered and it is a materialistic, selfish world.

To say they don't take stuff because they don't have money is a laughable notion. Do a lot of players take stuff just because it is offered? Of course they do. But to pretend economic background doesn't play a role in some of these kids taking benefits is 1000% wrong.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
Even though it was expected, last night really sucked from an entertainment standpoint. I cant remember the last time I wasnt excited about the opening Thursday night games on ESPN.

If nothing else, it was amusing to watch Kentucky tally a whopping 76 yards of TOTAL offense midway through the 4th quarter. Of course, the 2 plays on their only earned touchdown drive, made it look better.

And that against a team that is 4-32 in the last 4 seasons of D1 football...

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 07:36 AM)
If nothing else, it was amusing to watch Kentucky tally a whopping 76 yards of TOTAL offense midway through the 4th quarter. Of course, the 2 plays on their only earned touchdown drive, made it look better.

And that against a team that is 4-32 in the last 4 seasons of D1 football...

lol, I watched most of that game because my dumbass had the over. My goodness UK sucks. Vandy might not finish last in the East this season.

There is no way Kentucky wins more then 1 game in conference.