Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
I understand that. Doesn't make it less strange. Of all the places for a truly national University to be it's in Northern Indiana?

Hey, easy there buddy!!!

And don't think for a moment that tons of people aren't fans simply because they are of Irish heritage. If there was a team called the Fighting Italians instead, they would probably get a lot of Italian fans too. Their rich history of success and their mascot play in to it a lot, I believe.

I thought coming into the season that Illinois was about an 8 win team based on their offense and schedule. But that defense played a very good game last night against a pretty good offense. Even with some of the losses after last season, it still isn't short on talent. I think Illinois, realistically, could finish 2nd in the Leaders Division. They get their 3 toughest Big 10 opponents at home, and Northwestern and Minnesota are two of the crossover games. Short of swapping Penn State as a road game and Northwestern as a home game, they couldn't possibly have an easier road schedule, either.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Pittsburgh and Syracuse officially accepted into ACC. Very good pick-ups for the ACC.

Looks like the OU, Okie State, Texas, Texas Tech group to the Pac is picking up steam as well.

They are gonna have to.. Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference eventually here or they are really going to be left out of it when there are 4 super conferences.. too much to overcome as an independent in that scenario IMO

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)
That's a decent comparison. I've had typical experiences with ND fans that are just ridiculous. For the MSU game last year I was at a friend's place watching it and a few ND fans were there. One of them wanted Kelly on the hot seat immediately.

Not to mention, a football program in Indiana? How were they ever good? Hard to imagine an entitled fan base for football in a well below average football state in terms of talent and popularity of the sport.

They were the destination team for Catholic players. At least that's why they were good initially.

I understand that. Doesn't make it less strange. Of all the places for a truly national University to be it's in Northern Indiana?

Silly to found a Catholic university in the Midwest. Should have put it in the South where all the Catholics are.

They are gonna have to.. Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference eventually here or they are really going to be left out of it when there are 4 super conferences.. too much to overcome as an independent in that scenario IMO

Basketball is going to end up the driving factor in ND's decision to join a conference more so than football. Even with all the conferences realigning, teams are still going to play 4 nonconference games a year, and the $$$ you get from playing ND will keep plenty of teams willing to schedule them. Now, if these super-conferences all go the way of the Big Ten and move to playing 9 conference games, that might make finding opponents more difficult for ND.

However, if the Big East loses more than Just Pitt and Syracuse, then it's time for ND to leave the Big East, and any of there new prospective conference homes are unlikely to accept them in basketball + other sports without joining in football.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
Silly to found a Catholic university in the Midwest. Should have put it in the South where all the Catholics are.

Not at all. There are a ton of Catholics in that part of the country, especially back in the day. There were huge numbers of European, especially Eastern, people coming to the US and settling within a hundred miles of ND. Heck I believe Chicago was the biggest single Polish population in the world outside of Warsaw. It is the same thing with the Irish and Germans too, plus a lot of other very Catholic nationalities, such as Italians.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
Not at all. There are a ton of Catholics in that part of the country, especially back in the day. There were huge numbers of European, especially Eastern, people coming to the US and settling within a hundred miles of ND. Heck I believe Chicago was the biggest single Polish population in the world outside of Warsaw. It is the same thing with the Irish and Germans too, plus a lot of other very Catholic nationalities, such as Italians.

Pretty sure he was joking.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
However, if the Big East loses more than Just Pitt and Syracuse, then it's time for ND to leave the Big East, and any of there new prospective conference homes are unlikely to accept them in basketball + other sports without joining in football.

I don't see why they would need to leave the Big East for their other sports. There are plenty of non-football schools in the Big East and frankly there were too many in basketball anyway. They could play with the other non-football schools in olympic sports and be fine.

I don't see why they would need to leave the Big East for their other sports. There are plenty of non-football schools in the Big East and frankly there were too many in basketball anyway. They could play with the other non-football schools in olympic sports and be fine.

The Big East has lost Western PA and Upstate NY at TV markets. If Rutgers and UConn bolt, the conference loses it's biggest remaining draws in New England and New York. ND would no longer be getting nearly the media exposure they now get from the conference, and that would probably be enough to push them to give up football independence.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
The Big East has lost Western PA and Upstate NY at TV markets. If Rutgers and UConn bolt, the conference loses it's biggest remaining draws in New England and New York. ND would no longer be getting nearly the media exposure they now get from the conference, and that would probably be enough to push them to give up football independence.

Media exposure for non-football sports? Really? Basketball is the only one that gets regular TV and for ND it's not a big money maker.

Looks like the NCAA is alleging multiple major violations for South Carolina. Players renting hotel suites for $14.59/night.

http://sc.edu/ncaaresponse/NOA.pdf

Interested to see what Capn thinks... After suffering through a long, drawn-out process as a Tennessee fan, I can definitely say this sucks for any fan to have to go through.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)

They really dont need any help with exposure:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/1...ef=ncaafootball

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Looks like the NCAA is alleging multiple major violations for South Carolina. Players renting hotel suites for $14.59/night.

http://sc.edu/ncaaresponse/NOA.pdf

Interested to see what Capn thinks... After suffering through a long, drawn-out process as a Tennessee fan, I can definitely say this sucks for any fan to have to go through.

Some seriously recruiting violations in there. Not good. Sorry Cap, its not fun.

Pac-16???

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/...om-1865834.html

LOS ANGELES — Pacific-12 commissioner Larry Scott hasn't convened his school presidents to discuss complete details of his discussions about conference realignment with Texas president William Powers and other schools' administrators, but Texas and three other Big 12 schools appear to be on the verge of seeking membership in what would become a 16-team league.

Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are engaged in serious discussions with the Pac-12, but the level has not yet reached the point where Scott has asked his 12 school presidents to approve invitations for the four Big 12 schools

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
Some seriously recruiting violations in there. Not good. Sorry Cap, its not fun.

No offense to Capn, but is anyone surprised this happened at a school that landed Clowney? Anyone who seriously also considered Clemson is shady enough for me.

Nothing that wasn't unexpected. 10 football players were paying $450 a month to stay at a pretty crappy hotel. NCAA deemed that under 'market' value, ok I guess, whatever. All of the violators were made to move out asap last year, and pay all back rent.

As for S.A.M, the University has turned a pretty cold shoulder to that outfit. Part of the problem there is that the founder is a S. Carolina alumnus, which obviously is a big no-no. But here is the thing, we received 1 commit out of the 16 or so kids that went through that program. That kid's father was on the board of trustees for that organization, but still let them pay for things for this kid. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Overall though, like I said, its pretty sad that the NCAA can spend a year + hanging around, looking for things we did wrong, and only come up with the Whitney hotel crap, and the S.A.M. organization junk that just happened ~2 weeks ago.

I never want to compare situations, but in terms of wrongdoings in comparison to other schools in hot water, I don't see very much. We'll see.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
No offense to Capn, but is anyone surprised this happened at a school that landed Clowney? Anyone who seriously also considered Clemson is shady enough for me.

Clowney is a super mama's boy, that wasn't going anywhere where mama couldn't drive to watch him play. That commit was 'sealed' long before he ever went public.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

Ah, he's a local kid, thats pretty much what landed him. Otherwise he would have gone further away to a better program.

And I know I shouldnt be, but I am always surprised at what little coverage every other scandal gets on ESPN etc. Boise has 75 athletes and several staff members involved in pay for play and its already off the radar.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
Nothing that wasn't unexpected. 10 football players were paying $450 a month to stay at a pretty crappy hotel. NCAA deemed that under 'market' value, ok I guess, whatever. All of the violators were made to move out asap last year, and pay all back rent.

As for S.A.M, the University has turned a pretty cold shoulder to that outfit. Part of the problem there is that the founder is a S. Carolina alumnus, which obviously is a big no-no. But here is the thing, we received 1 commit out of the 16 or so kids that went through that program. That kid's father was on the board of trustees for that organization, but still let them pay for things for this kid. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Overall though, like I said, its pretty sad that the NCAA can spend a year + hanging around, looking for things we did wrong, and only come up with the Whitney hotel crap, and the S.A.M. organization junk that just happened ~2 weeks ago.

I never want to compare situations, but in terms of wrongdoings in comparison to other schools in hot water, I don't see very much. We'll see.

This I agree with completely (as someone who's school got busted when no rules were violated).