Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
Hopefully 2 things come from this game, Illini start playing offense in first half and Ford gets less playing time.

Ford shouldn't see the field again. He is terrible. Time to start the Donovonn Young era and then give the other carries to Pollard and Ferguson.

Absolutely incredible comeback. Illinois should have started throwing the ball a lot earlier. NW was selling out on the run the entire game after being embarrassed last year and leaving themselves open to the pass. So instead their defense got embarrassed by giving up an Illinois receiving yards record this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Pretty awesome nut-shot by Brown. I can't believe he didn't get booted.

NUTSHOT2.gif

Ahh, and he was making me so proud until that (he went to my high school)... Oh well, still a stud. Small lapse in judgment.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
Ahh, and he was making me so proud until that (he went to my high school)... Oh well, still a stud. Small lapse in judgment.

He's very self-entitled, but I guess what football player isn't...

I don't know who to root for in this game, I want Nebraska to give Wisconsin a loss to help Illinois but I want Wisconsin to send a message to Nebraska that this is the Big Ten and it's not that easy to just come into our league.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
There's A LOT of time. I was really hoping Schmidt was down on that run lol.

I was thinking the same thing when it happened. AWFUL pass coverage, just a ton of plays where there was no one within five yards of the receiver.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
I was thinking the same thing when it happened. AWFUL pass coverage, just a ton of plays where there was no one within five yards of the receiver.

Jenkins was on a tear that game too though, like I mentioned earlier, he can break away from most CB's.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Jenkins was on a tear that game too though, like I mentioned earlier, he can break away from most CB's.

He had a huge game largely because NU contantly had poor positioning/blown coverages/awful matchups. His first TD he was covered by a linebacker with no help over the top. It was pretty obvious that no one knew who was supposed to cover him on that 50 yard TD. There were several plays where they expected a safety playing the middle to cover him one on one on a corner route (admittedly I'm not sure all of those were Jenkins). Even when he was covered by an actual cornerback, for some reason it was always Matthews, who isn't very good and a far inferior option to Maybin.

Yes, he's a good receiver, but the Wildcats put up very little resistance in coverage.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
I don't know who to root for in this game, I want Nebraska to give Wisconsin a loss to help Illinois but I want Wisconsin to send a message to Nebraska that this is the Big Ten and it's not that easy to just come into our league.

I was torn for just these reasons for about a minute.

Go Huskers.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
He had a huge game largely because NU contantly had poor positioning/blown coverages/awful matchups. His first TD he was covered by a linebacker with no help over the top. It was pretty obvious that no one knew who was supposed to cover him on that 50 yard TD. There were several plays where they expected a safety playing the middle to cover him one on one on a corner route (admittedly I'm not sure all of those were Jenkins). Even when he was covered by an actual cornerback, for some reason it was always Matthews, who isn't very good and a far inferior option to Maybin.

Yes, he's a good receiver, but the Wildcats put up very little resistance in coverage.

Yea they definitely didn't play him perfectly, that's for sure. But just look at his first TD, that's why he is one of the best in the Big Ten.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Well the Huskers simply arent that great. Martinez throws like a girl and the run option crap doesnt work all that well in the Big Ten.

Yeah when Northwestern can shutdown the run option I think that shows it isn't legit unless you have first round talent at RB position(Rashard Mendenhall).

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Yeah when Northwestern can shutdown the run option I think that shows it isn't legit unless you have first round talent at RB position(Rashard Mendenhall).

Yup, NW made it obvious you can shut down the option fairly easily with what we have running out there currently.

I think it's safe to say Wisconsin is easily the class of the Big Ten this year. I just hope they slip up somewhere and the Illini can take advantage of a home game vs. them.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

Um...Illinois has been running a ton of option since Zook got to Illinois and we have led the Big 10 in rushing over the last 3 years. The read option is very effective in the Big 10. Michigan scored a ton of points last year running the option. You just have to have the threat of throwing as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
Um...Illinois has been running a ton of option since Zook got to Illinois and we have led the Big 10 in rushing over the last 3 years. The read option is very effective in the Big 10. Michigan scored a ton of points last year running the option. You just have to have the threat of throwing as well.

Effective with the right players, and play calling, and it can be done anywhere. That wasn't the case today for Illinois, at least we adjusted before it was to late (and just barely).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)

How many times has an option team won the Big Ten? You can generate alot of running yards at times, but the offense just isnt very effective in the conference. Michigan racked up alot of yards with their offense until conference play started and then their numbers went down considerably. Illinois has had the luxury of several NFL running backs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
How many times has an option team won the Big Ten? You can generate alot of running yards at times, but the offense just isnt very effective in the conference. Michigan racked up alot of yards with their offense until conference play started and then their numbers went down considerably. Illinois has had the luxury of several NFL running backs.

And in the Rose Bowl in 2008 the option was stopped almost every time, fortunately Mendenhall was able to do something but it can be the most obvious play to defend vs. if that's all you do well.

South Carolina's Melvin Ingram is my favorite non-Tennessee player. He's just fun to watch. Today's stats for the defensive lineman: 9 tackles, 5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 INT... And to think he doesn't even get the most pub on that defense (see: Jadeveon Clowney).