Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
LOL, what was dirty about it. He was about to get beat deep for a TD so he hit his guy out of bounds. Smart play by a freshman that completely backed up his talk in the papers.

No he really didn't. He wasn't covering Jenkins on the play he had his interception and Jenkins was wide open on that play, that was just a brutal throw by Scheelhaase. And then of course he got killed by Jenkins on that deep route and if that is the NFL that is a 40 yard penalty (which it should be, that rule in college is ridiculous).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
No he really didn't. He wasn't covering Jenkins on the play he had his interception and Jenkins was wide open on that play, that was just a brutal throw by Scheelhaase. And then of course he got killed by Jenkins on that deep route and if that is the NFL that is a 40 yard penalty (which it should be, that rule in college is ridiculous).

Ok. Two plays are all that mattered.

Good game, see you boys on the hardwood.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
Ok. Two plays are all that mattered.

Good game, see you boys on the hardwood.

Jenkins had 8 catches for 80 yards. He wasn't shut down and he was being double teamed. I'm trying to figure out how anything in that game showed he wasn't special or that Roby shut him down in any sense of the word.

Illini still lacking some talent apparently, oh well if they can beat at least one of PennState/Michigan preferably both still a very nice season. Forget all the talent on OSU because of the struggles they had, I still think Illini win that game if game planned better on offense, hopefully Petrino takes note for the Penn State game.

Michigan's season (at least the W/L record) is going as I had hoped. 8-4 was always the target in my mind with 9-3 or 7-5 possible. At this point I would be disappointed with 7-5 and think 9-3 is realistic. There isn't a team on the schedule UM can't beat, but possibly sans Purdue, not a team they might not lose to. Before the season, I looked at their current 5 game stretch with 4 on the road and hoped they would go 3-2. A win over Purdue at home and beating Iowa or Illinois on the road would make that happen. It would be nice to split the final two home games against Nebraska and OSU, which would make for a 9-3 season. None of it will be easy.

As far as the particulars, the defense is better than I expected, yet still has a long way to go. The offensive transition has been tough, but expected. Pretty much, the team goes as Denard goes. He doesn't have to do it all, but he has to be better at getting the ball to his receivers. He can't run the ball for 200 yards/game. Some days (or halves of games) he can be horrible throwing the ball. Other times he gets in a reason and he is better than adequate. That is what will be necessary to finish 9-3. If not, we're looking at 8-4 or a meltdown as in the past few years happens. I think this group has a little more fortitude than past teams, but the next several weeks will tell us for sure.

I have only seen the 2nd half of the Notre Dame game and this all the Michigan football I have seen this season because of work on Sat. Didn't even realize they were ranked 11. That is absurd since they haven't played anybody.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
I have only seen the 2nd half of the Notre Dame game and this all the Michigan football I have seen this season because of work on Sat. Didn't even realize they were ranked 11. That is absurd since they haven't played anybody.

Even Hoke said they were overrated. They started out this way under RichRod too, conference play is where you'll see if they've made any strides.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)

They were ranked 11th only because they were undefeated and Michigan. Way too premature. As Rock said, Hoke said they didn't belong there. My guess is they ultimately land somewhere between 15 and 25.

Brian, one of the improvements this year has been the defense has been creating turnovers, which they did very little of the past few years. You know they do have a thing called a DVR now, right?

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)

That's a lot of college football this year. Not many teams outside the top handful pass the eye test. You can say most of the teams outside the top 10 aren't that good, but then no one below them looks better.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
They were ranked 11th only because they were undefeated and Michigan. Way too premature. As Rock said, Hoke said they didn't belong there. My guess is they ultimately land somewhere between 15 and 25.

Brian, one of the improvements this year has been the defense has been creating turnovers, which they did very little of the past few years. You know they do have a thing called a DVR now, right?

Ha. I can't DVR a game and watch it as if it is live. I just look at the score and stats. I catch highlights on BTN. I don't work too many more Sats so have time to watch games now.

And do you see how much I post in the TV thread because of my DVR? I obviously have no life right now.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 06:42 AM)
Ha. I can't DVR a game and watch it as if it is live. I just look at the score and stats. I catch highlights on BTN. I don't work too many more Sats so have time to watch games now.

And do you see how much I post in the TV thread because of my DVR? I obviously have no life right now.

I hear ya. Saturdays are about the only thing in life fun for me. That's a slight exaggeration, but I get your point. As I said before, if we can beat Purdue, take one on the road from Iowa or Illinois and split with Nebraska and Ohio we'll be good at 9-3. One slip we'll be 8-4, which won't be bad, but it won't taste as nice if it comes in the form of losing the last 2 or 3 games.

When you get a minute, check out the video clips I am going to post sometime today.

I hate to be whiny, so I will post a few videos with my thoughts and ask the masses for yours. I found the Michigan State game to be very disturbing Saturday because of how dirty MSU played. I know football is a rough game, but I think the videos speak for themselves, especially if you take them all in the context of one game. I'm hoping William Gholston will be suspended this week against Wisconsin. I hope I am doing these links right.

I would appreciate if you guys can take your team jerseys off and give objective feedback. Would you want this crap done to your team?

The following two videos show William Gholston taking down Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan with an arm bar (an arm known to be hurting already - he missed all of spring and most of summer workouts due to the elbow on that arm). What you don't see is at the very end, there is an additional twisting of the arm after they hit the ground. There was an obvious intent to injure here. If you doubt it, you'll see another piece of work by Gholston soon.

The next video is of Gholston throwing a punch at Lewan. He was flagged, but not kicked out. I guess you could stretch your view to call this a shove, but I'm not buying it.

Next is Rashad White body slam of Denard Robinson. Probably the least egregious of the group, but when looking at them as a whole, I think it fits. The headline says Jerrel Worthy, which is incorrect.

Another by choir boy Gholston. This one doesn't look bad on the initial full speed look at the play, but check out the 2nd and 3rd angles. I know s*** goes on in the pile, but he tried to rip his freakin' head off.

The last one knocked Denard out of the game. I can't remember if he came back in or not. The hit itself wasn't that late, if he would have pulled his hands back. But the slam to the ground twisting to make sure he landed on top of Denard leaves me with zero doubt they had some kind of bounty on knocking Robinson out of the game. That hit on the QB is not allowed in any league.

Another by choir boy Gholston. This one doesn't look bad on the initial full speed look at the play, but check out the 2nd and 3rd angles. I know s*** goes on in the pile, but he tried to rip his freakin' head off.

This is the one that pisses me off the most, though they're all cheap shots of varying degrees.