Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Wisconsin chant is a remnant of when Wisconsin was terrible. Before Alvarez came to Wisconsin, their football team was brutal. Thus because they couldnt really chant at the other team, they came up with chants amongst the students. Basically student sections are at war with O and P being the biggest rivalry(or were when I went there). Eat s*** f*** you is chanted between the student sections.

Its definitely juvenile, but if you want it to stop, the best way is to not to make it an issue.

And for the record, I meant "Why is it news" in terms of the school/media making it seem like this just happened.

As for the tradition, Wisconsin games are fun, but definitely not for everyone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Good stuff, Rex. Would like to see the Spartans take some hits.

Were there no dirty plays committed by UM In that game? Before the punch the UM lineman was clearly being dirty when pushing his head into the ground. Obviously he should have been ejected after the punch, but there was dirty s*** all over that game, always is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Were there no dirty plays committed by UM In that game? Before the punch the UM lineman was clearly being dirty when pushing his head into the ground. Obviously he should have been ejected after the punch, but there was dirty s*** all over that game, always is.

Show the videos of UM players being dirty then! I'm not saying its never happened, but I haven't seen anything like that this year. And I've watched the punch video several times and don't see what you're seeing. There isn't enough on that video. Lewan's arm was below gholston's head, not pushing it down. What it looked like to me, expecially if you catch the beginning of the play at the bottom of the screen, is that Lewan buried Gholston on the play and kept him down, which is what a lineman is supposed to do! On the flip side, a defensive lineman's goal is to break away from an OL, not grab his arm and pull him down with a twisting arm bar.

Somehow I knew you wouldn't be able to take your jersey off and look at things subjectively. I can tell you this. I've watched every UM game this year and this is the least penalized team we have had in a long time. Very few penalties due to lack of discipline. And I can't recall any that measured up to the 4 or 5 personal foul penalties MSU had in one game. So unless you want to come up with some video proof, your first sentence is pure OSU BS.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
This is the one that pisses me off the most, though they're all cheap shots of varying degrees.

that one pisses me off too.

there was definite intent on that play.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
Show the videos of UM players being dirty then! I'm not saying its never happened, but I haven't seen anything like that this year. And I've watched the punch video several times and don't see what you're seeing. There isn't enough on that video. Lewan's arm was below gholston's head, not pushing it down. What it looked like to me, expecially if you catch the beginning of the play at the bottom of the screen, is that Lewan buried Gholston on the play and kept him down, which is what a lineman is supposed to do! On the flip side, a defensive lineman's goal is to break away from an OL, not grab his arm and pull him down with a twisting arm bar.

Somehow I knew you wouldn't be able to take your jersey off and look at things subjectively. I can tell you this. I've watched every UM game this year and this is the least penalized team we have had in a long time. Very few penalties due to lack of discipline. And I can't recall any that measured up to the 4 or 5 personal foul penalties MSU had in one game. So unless you want to come up with some video proof, your first sentence is pure OSU BS.

Lol and I'm the one with the bias? Jeez. I watched the whole game, this rivalry is always very dirty, unlike The Game. Msu deserved to be penalized at least as much as they were and Gholston should have been booted. Either way it wasn't that close of a game and this looks like sour grapes for a loss. UW will run all over them next week and it will make you feel better.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
Lol and I'm the one with the bias? Jeez. I watched the whole game, this rivalry is always very dirty, unlike The Game. Msu deserved to be penalized at least as much as they were and Gholston should have been booted. Either way it wasn't that close of a game and this looks like sour grapes for a loss. UW will run all over them next week and it will make you feel better.

Kiss my a$$ Rock. You're a smart guy, but sometimes an idiot. If you even half paid attention to what I've posted you know it has nothing to do with sour grapes. We'd have lost that game with or without those plays. But forgive me for trying to isolate plays that anyone on this site would take offense to if it happened to their team. And again, if you can show me where Michigan players were dirty in this game, I'll be happy to take your point as valid. Problem is you like making blanket statements that have nothing to back them up.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Kiss my a$$ Rock. You're a smart guy, but sometimes an idiot. If you even half paid attention to what I've posted you know it has nothing to do with sour grapes. We'd have lost that game with or without those plays. But forgive me for trying to isolate plays that anyone on this site would take offense to if it happened to their team. And again, if you can show me where Michigan players were dirty in this game, I'll be happy to take your point as valid. Problem is you like making blanket statements that have nothing to back them up.

Come on really? The plays you posted were flagged, thats what happens in football. Gholston is going to get suspended like he should have for the punch, just like your player did against ND. That guy is dirty as hell and had some cheap shots when we played them as well. In the Sugar Bowl Cam Heyward was put in the exact same arm bar that happened in your game, in fact it tore his elbow out so bad that he's had to have multiple procedures on it since that game. Dirty s*** happens all the time in football involving meathead kids.

When your post was first put up on the Scout site (and now on this site) I felt the same as alot of people thinking that he should have been kicked out and suspended. Now that its going to actually happen what is the point of whining about it? Outside of the punch (clearly dirty) your own players have said it was a tough game all around without being cheap. Thats about what it looked like to me who watched the entire game. And saying that it doesnt bother you that MSU (your little brother) beat you 4 years in a row with that dirty f*** Dantonio at the helm you are kidding yourself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Come on really? The plays you posted were flagged, thats what happens in football. Gholston is going to get suspended like he should have for the punch, just like your player did against ND. That guy is dirty as hell and had some cheap shots when we played them as well. In the Sugar Bowl Cam Heyward was put in the exact same arm bar that happened in your game, in fact it tore his elbow out so bad that he's had to have multiple procedures on it since that game. Dirty s*** happens all the time in football involving meathead kids.

When your post was first put up on the Scout site (and now on this site) I felt the same as alot of people thinking that he should have been kicked out and suspended. Now that its going to actually happen what is the point of whining about it? Outside of the punch (clearly dirty) your own players have said it was a tough game all around without being cheap. Thats about what it looked like to me who watched the entire game. And saying that it doesnt bother you that MSU (your little brother) beat you 4 years in a row with that dirty f*** Dantonio at the helm you are kidding yourself.

That wasn't my post on the Scout site, thank you very much. And as far as what I am thinking, why don't you just ask rather than tell me what I'm thinking. My problem with you is this thread asked for objective opinions on the plays posted. Never did I say football is not a tough game. Never did I say UM players have not done something dirty, in fact Lewan was way too aggressive and hot headed in the early part of last year. I can't argue with anything you just said above other than the fact you had to inject other non-related matters into your first two posts. OF COURSE it bugs the crap out of me that we've lost to MSU for 4 years. But that has nothing to to with the points being made in this thread.

But as I've stated in a previous thread, my hope going into the season was that UM's schedule would break down as follows:

1st 5 games - No worse than 4-1 (we finished 5-0, I'll take it)

Next 5 games (four on the road) 3-2 (still have a shot at that)

Last two against OSU and Nebraska - was hoping we could pull out a split of those two, but figured it was a long shot. I think we still have a shot, but I'm not holding my breath. Before the season I thought 8-4 was probably, give or take one. It seems the season is playing out exactly that way. I'm no delusional fan that thinks UM is going to go 11-1 or 12-0 every year. I know we aren't anywhere near where we need to get to. As to which games we lose, of course I'd like to knock off MSU and/or OSU, but if we stay competitive I'll be okay if the final bell rings at 9-3 or even 8-4.

Sadly, we could be better next year and start much worse. The schedulers did us no favor in 2012. We open against Alabama in Dallas, play Air Force and that offense next and then go on the road to ND. Add Nebraska and OSU on the road at the end of the year and it bookends quite difficult!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Looks like a 3 game suspension is in the works for Gholston.

Obviously a good choice, but f***! We already played them, I need MSU to hand out some damn losses.

Which brings me to a question on the new Big Ten format. How do they determine the winner of each division? Overall conference record? Record within the division only? Overall record (not thinking that is likely). Anybody seen a link that explains tie breakers as well?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
Which brings me to a question on the new Big Ten format. How do they determine the winner of each division? Overall conference record? Record within the division only? Overall record (not thinking that is likely). Anybody seen a link that explains tie breakers as well?

How on earth would it not be overall conference record? If the Big Ten is any normal, head to head would determine a two-way tie.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
False. Head to head

Yeah, that's how every conference with divisions does it, from the SEC to the MAC and everyone in between. It's why the head to head games are so massively important if between two teams expected to finish near the top of the division. The fun part with division titles is a three team tie, especially if all three teams have a 1-1 record against each other.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 01:37 AM)
Yeah, that's how every conference with divisions does it, from the SEC to the MAC and everyone in between. It's why the head to head games are so massively important if between two teams expected to finish near the top of the division. The fun part with division titles is a three team tie, especially if all three teams have a 1-1 record against each other.

That's why I love division play in football. Individual games are so huge, but there's usually a pretty tight race. It keeps more teams in the race later in the year and still creates must-win games in October.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Clean up your act, Wisconsin

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/10/14/11...amp;feedID=5062

Seriously, what a bunch of idiots (NSFW with speakers on).

Instead of having Barry and Bret write a sanctimonious, CYA letter for public relations relief, the University could end this "tradition" in a couple of weekends simply by announcing the revocation of ticket privileges for any student chanting profanities that could subject the school's broadcast partners to severe FCC sanctions, if aired. It probably would then require only one or two extra security guards to take down a couple of names each week before word got around.

This, of course, would apply to other schools too, but I note that in particular, Wisconsin has had no problem taking action to crack down on offensive traditions when engaged in at Camp Randall by visitors. And for all its faults and controversies, an inauthentic, dancing Indian could at least be broadcast on the public airwaves.