Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Which they were going to lose anyway, which I think you were inferring. Personally I don't think it was enough and the statement, aka half-assed apology was ridiculous. He claims he was provoked. Provoked on all three PF penalties? Strange to me that the Big Ten had to do the dirty work and MSU didn't get out in front of it, instead stating they would do a thorough investigation.

//end rant

MSU was trying to investigate all the way past this weekend so they could suspend him after Wisky. They've done this before in activating a player right after jail time for the Iowa game.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Yeah, I was worried about this with Kiel. My guess is Wilson pissed off Dusty, Gunner's older brother, who is one of QBs who has started for IU.

Thats the rumor I just read. His bro got taken out of the 2-deep.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Thats the rumor I just read. His bro got taken out of the 2-deep.

That's because he's injured. At least, he's supposedly injured, but I actually buy that, because he looked TERRIBLE in the Penn St game. Terrible enough that I would have been more surprised if he wasn't injured (it's an ankle, so he's having trouble planting).

EDIT: I more meant that, if he wasn't injured, he looked so bad (and Roberson, the true freshman, looked decent) that he legitimately deserved to get demoted

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
He will probably still go to Indiana, but come on, it's college football. Until they sign that dotted line, never say never. It's a dirty world out there. Either way, that's a great get for IU, just to create some buzz for the football program.

Like I said....

True freshman Tre Roberson starting for IU. This will be interesting -- he's small (6'0" 184) but quick and athletic. He could definitely be very very good over the next few years. He was Mr. Football in Indiana last year.

Edited by farmteam

My cousin goes to Purdue, so we always have quite a bit of banter back and forth (since I went to IU). First I told him not to go to the game so I could just hope for the stadium to blow up. Then I told him I actually hope Purdue wins for two reasons -- 1, It would be amusing to me if Illinois collapses and 2, I don't think Purdue will make a bowl anyway, and even if they do, that means they'll probably keep Hope, who is a terrible coach. Then he'll get to experience what I did with Lynch. In 2007, my freshman year, Lynch was the interim coach after Hep died. Even I could have lead that team to a bowl game, but he got an extension anyway. Even though our record is worse this year, at least there's some hope.

Speaking of which, I've heard mixed things on Wilson, and a lot of this probably ties into Kiel re-opening his recruitment. Apparently Wilson is rather crazy and a hardass, and I've heard tell it takes a "special kind of player" to play for him, according to people who played under him at Northwestern. I don't care if any of that is true as long as he wins. Roberson actually looked pretty good in the first half. As is always the case with IU, though, the defense is craptacular. That needs to be fixed more than anything. That and the penalties. We can't have this many penalties and be a good team. I've always thought that penalty problems indicate a coaching problem (lack of discipline), and I won't stop thinking that now. However, I realize it probably is a little harder given that not only is it a new system for all these guys, but Wilson is playing a TON of young guys (I think something like 16 TRUE freshmen have played, and a ton of redshirt freshmen and sophs have played too), and they tend to get penalized more. Because of all the youth on the field, my hope is that we'll get better over the next few years, and that Wilson can recruit pretty well to add to it (even if he loses/lost Kiel, the class he brought in this year, even in a limited time, was better than anything Lynch brought in [yes a lot of them were Lynch guys, but Wilson brought in a fair amount of his own guys after he was hired, and theyve done well]). His 2012 class is shaping up to be pretty good as well.

But again, along with penalties, we can't go anywhere if we can't play defense. I really really want some studs brought in on that side of the ball, and preferably a few JC players to add a bit more experience in the short term. They've shown flashes of playing well on defense, but today has been pretty bad.

I've liked what I've seen from Roberson today, though. He reminds me a lot of Kellen Lewis (and the commentators mentioned that too). Hopefully he likes the nose candy less than Lewis did -- I haven't heard any of problems of that sort, and actually he's supposedly pretty mature.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I'm glad they start playing with a sense of urgency starting in the 4th. Down three td's, prolly want to play quicker starting oh I dunno the 3rd.

They still aren't playing with a sense of urgency. They are running off 20+ seconds of the play clock before every play and they did the same thing last week. The best thing that could possibly happen for this team would be to fire Zook and bring in a real head coach while there is still a good amount of talent on the roster.