Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
Not on defense he isn't. He seems kinda bad at that (although that's not why they are 0-2; the TOs aren't the Head Coach's fault).

They're defense played great the first 7 quarters of the season, and the last 5 or so games of last season. They played like garbage in the 4th last night though.

I don't get it ND keeps finding ways to lose to Michigan in the last second. I was at the Big House last night though, and let me say I've been to a lot of college football games and that crowd was unbelievable the best I've ever seen. They really embraced the night atmosphere I just wish the game went the opposite direction.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Yep, but now a real test vs a real opponent comes. Tennessee vs Florida at Florida should be a game to watch this week. I'm looking forward to that, and Auburn at Clemson, before the Oklahoma-FSU game.

The video of the Bulldog in your signature is cracking me up... Awesome.

And yes, going into the Swamp will be tough, but I'm very excited to see this Tennessee team against a high-level opponent. Kind of surprised to see Florida open -10. We'll see how that line adjusts through the week.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
The video of the Bulldog in your signature is cracking me up... Awesome.

And yes, going into the Swamp will be tough, but I'm very excited to see this Tennessee team against a high-level opponent. Kind of surprised to see Florida open -10. We'll see how that line adjusts through the week.

Funny seeing a 270 lb DE/DT rumble that far and not a single Georgia player wanted any part of hitting him. Ugly game, and we still haven't clicked as a team, but hell, still 2-0.

I think 10 points is WAY off in that game. Not sure why they think that Florida has shown themselves to be anything more than a 2-5 point favorite.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
Funny seeing a 270 lb DE/DT rumble that far and not a single Georgia player wanted any part of hitting him. Ugly game, and we still haven't clicked as a team, but hell, still 2-0.

I think 10 points is WAY off in that game. Not sure why they think that Florida has shown themselves to be anything more than a 2-5 point favorite.

You have a very fun team this year...thanks for beating UGA! Is that Ingram guy a highly rated NFL prospect? Clowney's just awesome, it's hard to imagine him not being a top 3 pick after 3 seasons.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)

The main thing that separates the SEC from all the other conferences are its defensive lines - they're all so big and fast. It's as close to the NFL as you can find. And Melvin Ingram is a prime example of that defensive line talent. How many d-lineman can outrun an entire team for 70 yards on a fake punt and also be on the "hands team" for kickoffs? It's amazing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
You have a very fun team this year...thanks for beating UGA! Is that Ingram guy a highly rated NFL prospect? Clowney's just awesome, it's hard to imagine him not being a top 3 pick after 3 seasons.

Man, there are TONS of 'boo hoos' going on around me, living in Clemson (ugh) country. But fact remains, these are the type of games that Georgia has beaten us in, in the last 10 years. There have been numerous occasions in the last decade where we flat outplayed them, and some fluke play (our fumble on the Georgia 2 yard line to lose, David Pollack sacking our QB in the endzone and taking the ball from him at the same time) caused us to lose. Its nice to be on the other side of that ledger for once. We went on the road, played a team that was back against the wall with a coach they are trying to save, played half ass, and STILL came away with a win.

As for Ingram, he was a linebacker, that had no home, he moved to the D Line last year, and had 9.5 sacks. Coming into this year, though, we had 1st Team SEC DE Devin Taylor on one end, and of course, Clowney on the other. So Ingram has been turned into a DE/DT hybrid that is absolutely wreaking havoc so far. Our D Line has won the games for us so far, thanks to the back 7 playing some extremely s***ty football so far.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
The main thing that separates the SEC from all the other conferences are its defensive lines - they're all so big and fast. It's as close to the NFL as you can find. And Melvin Ingram is a prime example of that defensive line talent. How many d-lineman can outrun an entire team for 70 yards on a fake punt and also be on the "hands team" for kickoffs? It's amazing.

Its funny, the team and coaches talk about him a lot. How he can throw farther than Garcia, can punt if needed, and was a running back in high school. And how he does standing back flips in practice all the time. Kinda ridiculous.

Now, we get to prepare for a Navy offense that will absolutely baffle us. I'm nervous, but its our home opener, so I feel pretty good.

That was a rough one. Brian Kelly will get them going eventually, he's a good coach.

Outgaining your opponents by an average of 150+ yards per game, averaging 5 turnovers per game, losing both games, including giving up a winning touchdown after going ahead with 30 seconds left are the very definition of bad coaching.

Of course he never should have gotten to this year because he should have been fired on the spot after the Tulsa game last year, not to mention the off-the-field issue of sending a student to his death.

The guy who should be Notre Dame's coach has coached a game in ND stadium this month--on the other sideline.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
Outgaining your opponents by an average of 150+ yards per game, averaging 5 turnovers per game, losing both games, including giving up a winning touchdown after going ahead with 30 seconds left are the very definition of bad coaching.

Of course he never should have gotten to this year because he should have been fired on the spot after the Tulsa game last year, not to mention the off-the-field issue of sending a student to his death.

The guy who should be Notre Dame's coach has coached a game in ND stadium this month--on the other sideline.

NO on everything you just said.

Brian Kelly huffed and puffed and got that wind started so he could kill a student. That was his plan from the get-go. I also think Brian Kelly is solely responsible for every single turnover the Irish make. IMO Cierre Wood should put super glue on his hands and they should give it to him all 4 downs so that they decrease the chances of a fumble and completely eliminate the chance of an interception. I hope they go to two hand touch too just in case someone dies. That would be Kelly's fault.

Brian Kelly huffed and puffed and got that wind started so he could kill a student. That was his plan from the get-go. I also think Brian Kelly is solely responsible for every single turnover the Irish make. IMO Cierre Wood should put super glue on his hands and they should give it to him all 4 downs so that they decrease the chances of a fumble and completely eliminate the chance of an interception. I hope they go to two hand touch too just in case someone dies. That would be Kelly's fault.

I guess saying "Tell that kid to get his a** up there or he's fired" could be considered huffing and puffing. It's not like everybody was oblivious to the dangers. People recognized it and made him aware of it, and he chose to risk the kid's life in order to get a better-quality film of a practice.

2-3 turnovers in a 2-game stretch can be a fluke, maybe even 4-5, but 10 turnovers by a variety of players is a sign of poor coaching. Also wondering why the best QB didn't start the first game?

Also still waiting for somebody to tell me that the fade route at the end of the Tulsa game was a good idea.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I know it was just South Dakota St., but it's still nice to see the Illini roll an inferior opponent like that, instead of playing down to their level. I don't know what's gonna happen vs. ASU, but good to see some excitement down in C-U.

I'm heading down there this weekend for the game. Hopefully they'll be like the Bears and make it a showcase game.

People are already calling for a new ND coach?

So I guess if you don't win the national championship in the first year, you are fired.

Nobody is saying that is the standard, but I don't think that beating Tulsa and not causing student deaths are unreasonable standards for the first year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
People are already calling for a new ND coach?

So I guess if you don't win the national championship in the first year, you are fired.

I don't care what happened on the football field, the man should be blacklisted for what happened to Declan Sullivan. That's just my opinion though.

I guess I never followed the case close enough to understand the role Kelly played in keeping him out there. I was under the impression that he never actively said "Get up there or you're fired" or anything along those lines, and it was more of an assistant worried about upsetting the boss that led them to keep him on the scissor lift.

I was under the impression that he never actively said "Get up there or you're fired" or anything along those lines

That was the impression I got from a friend of my father who was standing within earshot of Kelly when he said, "Tell him to get his a** up there or he's fired"