Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Heh, plane is flying from near Pac-12 HQ to Ames. Naturally, we MUST be going westward.

Yeah, that can't be anything else. As I recall, Ames has an experimental aerospace company HQ'd at the airport that does lots of flying, and it is a pretty significant private aircraft landing point. But it must be that the Clones are headed to the PAC 12!

Where did you pick that up, anyway? Is someone so bored they are scouring flight plans?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Yeah, that can't be anything else. As I recall, Ames has an experimental aerospace company HQ'd at the airport that does lots of flying, and it is a pretty significant private aircraft landing point. But it must be that the Clones are headed to the PAC 12!

Where did you pick that up, anyway? Is someone so bored they are scouring flight plans?

Yea. Flights from Oakland are still a bit unusual. Whoever it is appears to have leased a plane from Wells Fargo and is traveling comfortably.

Of course, as ISU fans, we don't even get that much conjecture. The few insiders have either said "ISU and the Big 10 have a prelim agreement in place" or "ISU and Oklahoma are in lockstep".

Naturally, I believe we will either land in the Big East or the Big 12 will survive.

On another note, sounds like we might bust these out on ESPN2 Friday night:

r75t.jpg

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 10, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
Agreed, it's sad to see. Michigan would have been so much better with RichRod's offensive strategy this year.

How would that be? Did you see how well the offense did last year against good teams? Take out the ND game and we sucked against every good team. While the offense was exciting and explosive, it wasn't very good against defenses that knew how to play it.

Right now they are trying to develop a running game beside Denard. Their best back (so far) Fitz Toussaint was out for the ND game. If they can't develop any kind of run game from Denard, they'll adapt as they did in the 2nd half against ND. As far as passing, teams are ruching the two ends upfield to make Denard step up in the pocket. The DT's aren't really rushing to help contain (along with 1-2 LB's) Denard and make him pass. Denard can throw the short passes well. Right now he is struggling with the deep ball because of foot work, but he can throw. If they can get him to calm down and get his footwork right, he'll be able to throw from the pocket. It will take time. Al Borges is very capable of adapting and I think that showed. Think of the potential if they can develop a running game with a tail back. Play action will open up, bootlegs, FB passes, etc. It could make Denard more dangerous when he runs. But the bottom line is, Denard got hurt in 10 out of 13 games last year and had to miss some time. He doesn't need to be carrying the ball 20x week in and week out.

To say they need to go all spread only puts us back to where we where last year when we got stymied by good defenses, especially after they got enough film to adapt.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
The main thing that separates the SEC from all the other conferences are its defensive lines - they're all so big and fast. It's as close to the NFL as you can find. And Melvin Ingram is a prime example of that defensive line talent. How many d-lineman can outrun an entire team for 70 yards on a fake punt and also be on the "hands team" for kickoffs? It's amazing.

And deep. You are absolutely correct. The DL athletes in the SEC are night and day above the rest of the country.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
That didn't work very well against OSU last year, did it?

Yeah but you are talking about one of the best defensive teams in the country then, ND's defense is much much worse. UM would win at least 8 games if they just ran the read option over and over with an occasional pass.

All LSU has to do is avoid turnovers on offense and they'll win every game on their schedule except at Alabama due to that defense. I actually think LSU has a better defense than Alabama (Alabama has more NFL prospects, but I think LSU has a better unit). However, Alabama's offense is ahead of LSU's ,and the only way I could see LSU winning at Alabama is if they can win the turnover battle by 2 or 3. The winner of LSU/Alabama will go to Atlanta 12-0 IMO, which is interesting because I think it's very possible South Carolina will be 12-0 headed to Atlanta.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
All LSU has to do is avoid turnovers on offense and they'll win every game on their schedule except at Alabama due to that defense. I actually think LSU has a better defense than Alabama (Alabama has more NFL prospects, but I think LSU has a better unit). However, Alabama's offense is ahead of LSU's ,and the only way I could see LSU winning at Alabama is if they can win the turnover battle by 2 or 3. The winner of LSU/Alabama will go to Atlanta 12-0 IMO, which is interesting because I think it's very possible South Carolina will be 12-0 headed to Atlanta.

How many years of college football have you watched? It's extremely rare to see a number of BCS undefeateds, let alone more than 1 in the SEC.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 01:07 AM)
How many years of college football have you watched? It's extremely rare to see a number of BCS undefeateds, let alone more than 1 in the SEC.

The SEC is down this year in terms of depth. The fine people in Bristol won't admit it, but look at the teams. Also, look at the schedules. Alabama will be comfortably favored in every game left, South Carolina will be in every game left except 1, and LSU will be in every game except two (with one of those being next week, and I don't think West Virginia is capable of beating them to be honest). I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least 1 undefeated team in the SEC Title Game, and I'd also be very surprised if this isn't the 3rd year in a row with two undefeated teams in the BCS Title Game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
The SEC is down this year in terms of depth. The fine people in Bristol won't admit it, but look at the teams. Also, look at the schedules. Alabama will be comfortably favored in every game left, South Carolina will be in every game left except 1, and LSU will be in every game except two (with one of those being next week, and I don't think West Virginia is capable of beating them to be honest). I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least 1 undefeated team in the SEC Title Game, and I'd also be very surprised if this isn't the 3rd year in a row with two undefeated teams in the BCS Title Game.

After the way LSU just shut down Miss St, I cant imagine LSU not being a favorite. And given the perception of SEC schools playing big teams from other conferences, especially considering they are playing a Big East team, I would guess LSU being a 3-5 point favorite.

I dont see South Carolina going 12-0 either. Three consecutive weeks on the road at Miss St, Tennesse and Arkansas will be killer. I'm not too high on Florida but South Carolina then plays UF right afterwards and who knows how much they'll have left in the tank.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
After the way LSU just shut down Miss St, I cant imagine LSU not being a favorite. And given the perception of SEC schools playing big teams from other conferences, especially considering they are playing a Big East team, I would guess LSU being a 3-5 point favorite.

I dont see South Carolina going 12-0 either. Three consecutive weeks on the road at Miss St, Tennesse and Arkansas will be killer. I'm not too high on Florida but South Carolina then plays UF right afterwards and who knows how much they'll have left in the tank.

If someone doesn't step up at QB, we're gonna be lucky to get to 9-3. The passing game is atrocious right now. Luckily, our bye week is between Miss. St and Tennessee, so that helps as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
Zen, 2002 NC game on. Holy s*** there were so many NFL players in that game.

the amount of not just NFL players but high quality NFL players involved in that game was just sick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
Congrats heads. UCONN really downgraded in their coaching staff from last year to this year.

Yeah they did.

UCONN is a school that needs to hire young up and comers and hope they find gold like they did with Edsall.