Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Ah, he's a local kid, thats pretty much what landed him. Otherwise he would have gone further away to a better program.

And I know I should be, but I am always surprised at what little coverage every other scandal gets on ESPN etc. Boise has 75 athletes and several staff members involved in pay for play and its already off the radar.

Yep, doesn't it seem like it should tarnish their program? Instead, it's barely even covered. Kinda like what happens when an NFL player gets busted for steroids compared to a MLB player.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Yep, doesn't it seem like it should tarnish their program? Instead, it's barely even covered. Kinda like what happens when an NFL player gets busted for steroids compared to a MLB player.

They got tagged for LOIC, which at this point depending on the final ruling, looks to be worse than what OSU will be charged with. However looks at the zero articles written on the subject. Its crazy. USC had 41 violations, almost half of what Boise had, yet USC is considered the worst of the worst. Granted the money is a very different level, but still.

The whole Boise thing, gets NO airplay which is kinda crazy. It seemed to me like it was very far-reaching, in terms of the scope. Yet I bet there are people out there, college football fans, who don't even know Boise was in trouble of any kind.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
Ah, he's a local kid, thats pretty much what landed him. Otherwise he would have gone further away to a better program.

And I know I shouldnt be, but I am always surprised at what little coverage every other scandal gets on ESPN etc. Boise has 75 athletes and several staff members involved in pay for play and its already off the radar.

Well, I know you're not including Tennessee in that. Bruce Pearl/Lane Kiffin were the talk of ESPN for over a year. It was ridiculous.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Well, I know you're not including Tennessee in that. Bruce Pearl/Lane Kiffin were the talk of ESPN for over a year. It was ridiculous.

No, im talking about the last several months, Tenn was kind of out in the front of the wave now.

They really dont need any help with exposure:

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/1...ef=ncaafootball

Don't need help with exposure for football, but it's no coincidence that the basketball program has gotten a lot better since joining the Big East. Football games are all on Satrudays and get national TV exposure anyway, but college basketball TV exposure is still very regional, and getting ND on TV in New York/New England/Philly/DC/Pittsburgh is a big deal. Moving a lot of that exposure from the Big East to the ACC at the very least makes ND reconsider its options.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Latest rumors now are that the Big 12 and Big East - the conferences themselves, not the individual teams - are in some sort of negotiations, possibly for a merger of the remaining pieces from each conference.

I guess technically it would be the remaining 5 teams in the B12 absorbing the remaining teams from the Big East

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Latest rumors now are that the Big 12 and Big East - the conferences themselves, not the individual teams - are in some sort of negotiations, possibly for a merger of the remaining pieces from each conference.

In a weird way it makes sense. It gives each other a ready made other half, instead of having to do it piecemeal with the remaining conferences.

I guess I'll be okay with Missouri to the SEC if it ends up happening, but it'll cause Auburn to move to the SEC East. That means Bama-Auburn will keep their cross-division rivalry, ending the one of the oldest (and probably most significant) rivalries in SEC history - Tennessee v Alabama. That, I don't like.

Does anybody have links for more info on the Boise State scandal? Quite frankly, I really don't like their program AT ALL, but haven't been able to find things like 75 guys involved in pay for play out there anywhere. I would love to have such links, though. I know some Boise fans, and I'd love to show such information in their faces.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 12:35 AM)
Does anybody have links for more info on the Boise State scandal? Quite frankly, I really don't like their program AT ALL, but haven't been able to find things like 75 guys involved in pay for play out there anywhere. I would love to have such links, though. I know some Boise fans, and I'd love to show such information in their faces.

ESPN had two articles on their front page about it, a few days back. I'm sure if you searched their site you'd find them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
ESPN had two articles on their front page about it, a few days back. I'm sure if you searched their site you'd find them.

Yes, under the heading "Boise under probation" but actually they lost schollies and practices and had to fire coaches and the AD.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
And if you're a middle of the road sports school, why would you want to join a conference you literally will never win?

LOL sounds like a shot at Missouri, but it's not like we've won the Big 12 or anything (in football) so what's the difference.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
LOL sounds like a shot at Missouri, but it's not like we've won the Big 12 or anything (in football) so what's the difference.

No, its a shot at any school that thinks the SEC is going to help them somehow. Why not stay in the conference that is losing teams so that you can make a BCS game perhaps and make a ton of cash.