Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
I just have trouble where many Mizzou fans are basing that the increased competition in the SEC argument doesn't hold water in terms of future success in the SEC when many of them base that fact on the recent 10 win teams in divisions that were far weaker than what they will encounter in the SEC.

I just think they will have issues at the beginning of their switch as their Texas recruiting slows down and their facilities will have trouble matching up against most SEC schools.

I didn't say those would be 10 win seasons in the SEC, but I don't think the success drops off that much. In 07 they won 12 games with what was a top 3-5 team in the country. That team would have won the SEC East that year. In 08 they won the North, but weren't competing for anything more than that. They wouldn't have won the division anywhere else and were only the fourth best team in the Big 12, but that was still a top 25 team that's going to win some games. Last year they won a bunch of games, but no division. 9-3 in the SEC or 10-2 in the Big 12 is really not much of a difference when that team didn't win anything significant season wise anyway. It's not like Mizzou was competing for national titles based on playing in the North. They contended for the national title once and that team would have done so no matter what league they were in.

It's not like Mizzou is playing Boise's schedule and ranking in the top 5 of the BCS every year without deserving it. The Big 12 North wasn't some scam that was giving them false praise.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus, we're in the Eastern Division, so that means more games farther out by SC and Florida.

Can't the SEC realign the divisions like this:

West: A&M, Mizzouri, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Vanderbilt

East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
Again, it's not all Texas' fault, but I do hate the destruction of rivalries.

No, it's pretty much all texas and ou's fault, bullying the rest of the conference. But there's no doubt in my mind this wouldn't have happened had the longhorn network not gone down the way it did.

As for recruiting in texas now being harder for mizzou, Colorado's Texas recruiting went UP since their PAC move. Why? Because the story that the texas kids wanted to be seen by their families doesn't hold a lot of water. The more accurate narrative is that Mizzou made some really great lines with Texas high schools, especially South Water.

I also don't really give a s*** about rivalries. The best rivalries imo have nothing to do with history, more to do with two competitive teams at their peak going at it. Mizzou-UofI was a good rivalry for basketball in the early 00s, had nothing to do with being in the same conference. I'm not going to cry about losing the KU game, and I think the mizzou-vanderbilt basketball rivalry will be great (i'm very excited about traveling to nashville).

BUt most of all, we're going to get more money and not be in a conference so top heavy with 2 programs that the rest get consistently screwed. We may never again have a 1-loss season under Pinkel. But, we'll have a lot of great games to watch every year. And now, I don't have to worry about if the Big 12 dissolves, Mizzou being stuck in the mountain west.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
No, it's pretty much all texas and ou's fault, bullying the rest of the conference. But there's no doubt in my mind this wouldn't have happened had the longhorn network not gone down the way it did.

As for recruiting in texas now being harder for mizzou, Colorado's Texas recruiting went UP since their PAC move. Why? Because the story that the texas kids wanted to be seen by their families doesn't hold a lot of water. The more accurate narrative is that Mizzou made some really great lines with Texas high schools, especially South Water.

I also don't really give a s*** about rivalries. The best rivalries imo have nothing to do with history, more to do with two competitive teams at their peak going at it. Mizzou-UofI was a good rivalry for basketball in the early 00s, had nothing to do with being in the same conference. I'm not going to cry about losing the KU game, and I think the mizzou-vanderbilt basketball rivalry will be great (i'm very excited about traveling to nashville).

BUt most of all, we're going to get more money and not be in a conference so top heavy with 2 programs that the rest get consistently screwed. We may never again have a 1-loss season under Pinkel. But, we'll have a lot of great games to watch every year. And now, I don't have to worry about if the Big 12 dissolves, Mizzou being stuck in the mountain west.

Oklahoma and Texas are not blameless, but if you want to talk about inequities that existed in the Big 12, Texas A&M and Nebraska were in lockstep with many of the things that created the inequalities, including unequal TV revenue sharing. Missouri's continued flirtation with the Big Ten also helped create some of the instability that they cite as part of the reason they are leaving to go to the SEC. As far as the LHN - it was something the rest of the Big 12 allowed to happen, including A&M and Missouri. Nebraska also planned to take advantage of these third tier rights, as they had looked into starting their own network.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Oklahoma and Texas are not blameless, but if you want to talk about inequities that existed in the Big 12, Texas A&M and Nebraska were in lockstep with many of the things that created the inequalities, including unequal TV revenue sharing. Missouri's continued flirtation with the Big Ten also helped create some of the instability that they cite as part of the reason they are leaving to go to the SEC. As far as the LHN - it was something the rest of the Big 12 allowed to happen, including A&M and Missouri. Nebraska also planned to take advantage of these third tier rights, as they had looked into starting their own network.

But it all comes back down to you had schools who built conferences around themselves. It will always be an unequal conference that will continue to patch over it's problems and kick the can down the road.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
But it all comes back down to you had schools who built conferences around themselves. It will always be an unequal conference that will continue to patch over it's problems and kick the can down the road.

I wasn't ever disputing that fact with you. I'm just saying that laying the blame simply at Texas and Oklahoma's feet is unfair and misguided when there were at least three other schools (Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri) that were contributing to the league's instability.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Can't the SEC realign the divisions like this:

West: A&M, Mizzouri, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Vanderbilt

East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia

Nope... That East division would simply be insane, especially once Tennessee returns to the state that they have been for basically their entire existence as a football program.

LSU would win the West 9 out of every 10 years.

Edited by dasox24

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories...state-ncaa.html

And the final response to the NCAA (long) Student names are blacked out but it doesnt take a genius to figure out who they are.

http://www.osu.edu/news/ncaadocs/pdf/Repon..._(00153031).pdf

Best part so far: Bobby D HID in a locker trying to hear Tressel's pregame speech in 2002.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
The streak is ova. Wisconsin should end up in the title game.

The leaders division could get real ugly pretty easy.

Penn St could easily lose the next 2 (OSU and WIS)

OSU could lose at least one more (MICH)

WIS could lose one (IL)

IL could win out (MICH and WIS)

PUR could win out (IND and IOWA)

5 teams, 3 losses each. What a mess.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
The leaders division could get real ugly pretty easy.

Penn St could easily lose the next 2 (OSU and WIS)

OSU could lose at least one more (MICH)

WIS could lose one (IL)

IL could win out (MICH and WIS)

PUR could win out (IND and IOWA)

5 teams, 3 losses each. What a mess.

It certainly is a mess, but in what world is Illinois winning out in those two games?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Is Ohio State still eligible? I thought the Buckeyes had a postseason ban this year.

Not sure where you heard that. As of now they are eligible and without LOIC I dont see how they could get a ban.

If for some reason they give it to them, this year would be a good one to take it. And I hope today costs Fickell his job. WE have young talent and this is a perfect time for a new coach.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Not sure where you heard that. As of now they are eligible and without LOIC I dont see how they could get a ban.

If for some reason they give it to them, this year would be a good one to take it. And I hope today costs Fickell his job. WE have young talent and this is a perfect time for a new coach.

I didn't hear it obviously. I haven't followed it, but I figured they would get a similar penalty to USC.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
I didn't hear it obviously. I haven't followed it, but I figured they would get a similar penalty to USC.

They really aren't similar situations at all. USC was charged with loic and more violations. Boise st just had 60 violations and loic and they only lost scholarships.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd. i'm out. Zook, f*** you. Hope you get fired after this complete no show. Prob gonna be the first team in NCAA history to go 6-0 and then 0-6.

Edit: What the f*** his Hoke doing? Terrible decision to go on 4th, terrible play call.

Second edit: LOL, Ford. Ugh. And i'm really out this time.

Edited by Jenksismybitch