Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

What the f*** is going on in Iowa. WE can't keep good RB's at all. Coker gone after putting up a ridiculous season and he had 2 years of eligiblity left. He had a shot at shattering every Iowa record. I don't follow the little details of college football but they seem to have had a ton of off the field problems lately as well as just guys leaving the program. It certainly seems like more than normal attrition and it irritates me since Ferentz seems like a classy guy (and he's clearly a well above average coach).

It sounds like Coker was very grateful to the Iowa program and that something had happened at his house and that is why he is being dismissed from the team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
What the f*** is going on in Iowa. WE can't keep good RB's at all. Coker gone after putting up a ridiculous season and he had 2 years of eligiblity left. He had a shot at shattering every Iowa record. I don't follow the little details of college football but they seem to have had a ton of off the field problems lately as well as just guys leaving the program. It certainly seems like more than normal attrition and it irritates me since Ferentz seems like a classy guy (and he's clearly a well above average coach).

It sounds like Coker was very grateful to the Iowa program and that something had happened at his house and that is why he is being dismissed from the team.

Sexual assault investigation.

There is no way to not devalue one of their properties.

Their are 2 choices, a) no guaranteed bids or b) guaranteed bids.

In a no guarantee system, ESPN devalues all of its assets.

In a guarantee system, ESPN increases the value of some of its assets and devalues other assets.

Im just working with the system thats been suggested, 4 team playoff and currently 5 power conferences.

How do you think it would work? Because I just dont see the Big10 agreeing to a new system out of the kindness of its heart, there has to be some tangible advantage.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
There is no way to not devalue one of their properties.

Their are 2 choices, a) no guaranteed bids or b) guaranteed bids.

In a no guarantee system, ESPN devalues all of its assets.

In a guarantee system, ESPN increases the value of some of its assets and devalues other assets.

Im just working with the system thats been suggested, 4 team playoff and currently 5 power conferences.

How do you think it would work? Because I just dont see the Big10 agreeing to a new system out of the kindness of its heart, there has to be some tangible advantage.

If the Big Ten doesn't agree then it's just possible nothing gets done.

The only way to make something start is to make it so that the people who currently have money don't lose it. More money has to come in, so that there is no loss from the people who have it now, but there's something new for the people to grab after.

Add a game after the bowl round. Keep the bowls as-is, then add on top of it.

The problem is you just cant keep adding games and keeping the previous games having the same value, not to mention fans arent made of money and most fanbases wont be able to say, travel to Cali for the Rose Bowl and then go to Florida for the NC game.

There would have to be games played at home (like the playoffs for FCS), if you want any chance of filling these stadiums. Many schools dont have big enough fanbases to sell out 1 bowl game, let alone 3.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
The problem is you just cant keep adding games and keeping the previous games having the same value, not to mention fans arent made of money and most fanbases wont be able to say, travel to Cali for the Rose Bowl and then go to Florida for the NC game.

There would have to be games played at home (like the playoffs for FCS), if you want any chance of filling these stadiums. Many schools dont have big enough fanbases to sell out 1 bowl game, let alone 3.

I think the assumption that the fans are made of money is a reasonable one for them to operate under until proven otherwise.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Sexual assault investigation.

He's not being charged with anything. I know a Chicago detective who tells me you wouldn't believe the number of women who come into police stations on Saturday and Sunday mornings claiming to have been sexually assaulted. He said 99% of the time they leave without pursuing it as they realize that just because now they regret what happened, at the time it happened it was consensual. If Coker actually sexually assaulted someone, I hope he would be fully prosecuted and punished, but I think there's a good chance he's a victim here and instead of continuing in Iowa City with this thing over him, he's better off somewhere else.

?

Many of these bowl games arent selling out already, Big10 championship game didnt even sell out because many fans wanted to save money for the trip to Pasadena. If you cant sell out a Championship game that is in driving distance, you arent selling out preliminary games. The other option would be a NCAA style, where they have multiple games in the same stadium and try and attract random people as opposed to just fanbases.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
He's not being charged with anything. I know a Chicago detective who tells me you wouldn't believe the number of women who come into police stations on Saturday and Sunday mornings claiming to have been sexually assaulted. He said 99% of the time they leave without pursuing it as they realize that just because now they regret what happened, at the time it happened it was consensual. If Coker actually sexually assaulted someone, I hope he would be fully prosecuted and punished, but I think there's a good chance he's a victim here and instead of continuing in Iowa City with this thing over him, he's better off somewhere else.

Well, no one knows anything about it yet.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Well, no one knows anything about it yet.

The Iowa City police know enough to say he won't be charged with anything. That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't do something he shouldn't have done but it could also be an indication something went on that was consensual that the girl regretted later on. That's the jist of my first post. Supposedly it happens quite often.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
After watching LSU's offense last Monday, he probably wanted nothing to do with them.

reason why it looks that bad is because they have no one at QB. It worked out for JaMarcus Russell.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Even with just 10 teams the Big 12 is the second best conference in the country. Texas, OU, TCU, Ok State, heck even West Virginia just won a BCS bowl.

I'd like to see the bowls return to the way they were before the BCS and then have a title game that picks the top two teams that won bowl games. That's probably more effective at getting the best two teams in the title than a contrived 4-team playoff.

That would be no better than what we have now. What happens when there are three teams that win their bowl games and all deserve a shot? Or what about years where there is one clear cut best team? Make them play again? You could at some point have four teams that seem pretty equal or one team that is clear cut and 3 or 4 others with little or any separation behind them.

Any plus one simply has to be the top four ranked teams 1 v 4 & 2 v 3.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
Yeah, but it's better than cutting everyone off at 4. It allows for more information about the teams because bowl games are generally good matchups so everyone has an extra chance for a quality win and you can't b**** about being left off when you don't win your bowl game. Honestly, I think a 4-team playoff is a mistake and I'm very pro playoffs.

And wtf was with the NCAA president saying a 16-team playoff is too many games on the players' bodies? FCS champ North Dakota State played 15 games this year. Somehow their bodies are more able to handle that? They seriously say the dumbest things all to avoid a playoff.

12 game regular season, conference championship, four rounds of playoffs. Two teams would play 17 and four would play 16 in that scenario.

Adding the 12th game a few years ago really made it difficult to put together anything more than a final four.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
Which is ultimately what I believe happens.

No way are the power conferences going to turn football into basketball where they get a pittance from the NCAA.

How do you figure they get a pittance? The money goes through the NCAA which covers its expenses and gets its money and then distributes the rest to the schools.

In football, the bowls control the money, cover their expenses and gets its money and then distrubutes to the schools, which in most cases is actually distributed to the conferences and then evenly to all schools.

The only difference is more teams in basketball waters down the pool. I would venture to guess that the bowls probably take a bigger chunk in football than the NCAA in hoops, though I have zero proof.

Rex,

Look at the numbers I posted,

"In 2012 the Big10 got over $40 mil from their 2 BCS games and another 10mil+ from other bowl games."

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-0...ball-tournament

Total payout for all conferences was 180mil, of which the Big10 received $18.5mil ($240k per game).

The Big10 usually receives more money from 1 BCS game than the entire NCAA tournament payout.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
Rex,

Look at the numbers I posted,

"In 2012 the Big10 got over $40 mil from their 2 BCS games and another 10mil+ from other bowl games."

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-0...ball-tournament

Total payout for all conferences was 180mil, of which the Big10 received $18.5mil ($240k per game).

The Big10 usually receives more money from 1 BCS game than the entire NCAA tournament payout.

Yeah, but you made it sound as if the NCAA was pilfering all of the basketball money. Or at least that's the way I read it. The money in football is bigger. When you can sell 60k seats at $150/pop plus the TV contract it adds up. Plus you have fewer schools with their hands in the pie. Maybe I misunderstood your point. What I'm trying to say is I don't think football schools are getting a bigger % of the revenue because the NCAA is not involved. The bowls do quite well for themselves and get a nice chunk of the pie. Maybe the NCAA gets more because the TV money funnels through them?

It has nothing to do with the NCAA, it has everything to do with access. In football the big conferences control the access to the games where the most money is paid out. If you create a tournament where "everyone has a chance" you give more teams access and therefore are likely to split the money more.

The NCAA being more involved, generally means more access to everyone and thus the revenues being split more. If all bowl revenue was split between all conferences (even if its done by game, because game doesnt take into account whether its the Sunshine Bowl or the NC) the big conferences would get less money in the current system. Hence why they dont want to turn the BCS into the NCAA tournament.