2010 Federal Tax returns

Texsox

29 members have voted

1. 1. When will you file your 2010 return?

• Before Feb 1
    • February - St. Valentines Massacre
    • March Madness
    • April Showers
    • Extension - Overtime
    • Will not file a return
  2. 2. Did you over pay or under pay?

• Underpay, I owe, I owe
    • Overpay, show me the money!
    • I'm waiting for an all bacon economy
  3. 3. Will you e-file or send in the paper?

• Electronic Filing
    • Signed and mailed in
    • I'm a globe trotting Aussie

I pressed send and e-filed a few minutes ago. :D There were a couple nice surprises involving my son and his tuition.The not so nice surprise was that due to changes in the tax code involving teachers, the IRS will not start processing Texas teacher returns until mid February at the earliest. :angry:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I'll do ours tomorrow night. At least I get 30% back on the f***ing furnace I bought last month.

I do, too...I had a 95% efficiency installed...tax break and it lowered by gas bill considerably.

My wife's job waits until the last minute to send her W2. I hate that s***. Still waiting on a couple of other things though.

My wife, however, is a moron. Last year we owed the feds and somehow an accountant turned that into a small refund (my wife is under the impression professional accountants have magic wands to make refunds, but I know what he did). The year before that we owed, too, and I find out it's because she has 6 exemptions on her W4. I explain to her, in so many words, that this is not okay because she isn't paying enough tax and she is f***ing us come tax time. She pouts and talks about she has trouble paying her bills as is... she doesn't, she's just financially retarded. She didn't want to reduce her paycheck and kept putting it off and "forgetting." Finally in August I tell her point blank, I'm keeping all of what's left over, which isn't much, if she didn't go to her HR the next day and take 2 f***ing minutes out of her day. She drops from 6 to 4, I wanted her to go to 2 like I have but I take a victory where I can. All of this was an empty threat anyway since it was too late, and I ran some numbers and we owe again and there'll only be about 300 in refunds left over from the state refund. Which she is getting none of. She started whining again and I cut her off. If we're talking about bills, that's one thing, but I'm not paying her god damn taxes at the end of the year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
I should have all the data I need by end of this week, then its the annual ritual of finding a Saturday or Sunday to carve out most of the day (at least the afternoon anyway) to do this s***. Fun fun.

I don't have that much to enter but I use TurboTax and it took me about 15 minutes. Would've taken 10 if I had paid the $20 to have it transfer over last years info.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't have that much to enter but I use TurboTax and it took me about 15 minutes. Would've taken 10 if I had paid the $20 to have it transfer over last years info.

The exemptions is what takes f***ing forever. I spend about half a day to a day working through it on H&R block's site. I usually use some of it to pay off my yearly May Mexico vacation.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

I have a lot of crap to enter, along the lines of what Rock said. Takes me a solid half day.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
I have a lot of crap to enter, along the lines of what Rock said. Takes me a solid half day.

I've got 2-3 W-2's and mortgage interest. That's about it. I just take the standard deduction every year. We don't spend enough on anything else.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
I've got 2-3 W-2's and mortgage interest. That's about it. I just take the standard deduction every year. We don't spend enough on anything else.

You have mortgage interest, but take the standard deduction? I think you're leaving some money on the table.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
You have mortgage interest, but take the standard deduction? I think you're leaving some money on the table.

It automatically takes whichever one is better.

We really don't have anything else that makes it worthwhile to itemize. No childcare expenses, no chariable donations, no medical expenses, no business expenses, no interest from anything, etc...

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
It automatically takes whichever one is better.

We really don't have anything else that makes it worthwhile to itemize. No childcare expenses, no chariable donations, no medical expenses, no business expenses, no interest from anything, etc...

If you are putting in mortgage interest, you are itemizing. Therefore, If I were you, I'd check what else you could put in there, since from that point up, its all money for you. If you use a software or online tax program, go through each step in it, and you may be surprised what money you are leaving behind.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:34 AM)
Anyone else having their returns delayed because of last minute changes to the tax code? Mine will not be processed until mid Feb at the earliest.

I had that too. TurboTax says that if you take the standard deduction, it can be proceessed immediately. But if you itemize, then you have to wait til Feb. 14th.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
If you are putting in mortgage interest, you are itemizing. Therefore, If I were you, I'd check what else you could put in there, since from that point up, its all money for you. If you use a software or online tax program, go through each step in it, and you may be surprised what money you are leaving behind.

I'm only putting in in there so Turbotax can compare the itemized vs. standard and see which one is better. I went through everything and don't come anywhere close to $11,600 which is what the standard deduction is.