Baseball America's Top 31 Sox Prospects

Springfield Soxfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
No surprises here. System pretty much sucks. No legitimate SP prospects other than Sale, and even that's in question.

Not sure how that's in question. He's obviously not a sure thing but he's absolutely an elite prospect.

But yes, our system blows, everyone knows that already.

Think I know why I thought Infante wasn't thought to have plus velocity after re-reading a BA piece on him last year. Before last year he had primarily been a starter. Therefore he wasn't able to 'let it go' like he was able to as a reliever. And the pedestrian K-rate as a starter would support that theory. It wasn't until he was banished to the 'pen that his K-rate spiked dramatically.

Edited by Jordan4life

If you look at Escobar's numbers through his career he is giving us some reason be believe that his hit tool is coming around. Early on a good fastball would knock the bat out of his hands, as he's gotten older his numbers have gotten better and better, and he has started to hit the ball with some authority hitting 6HR last season after having just one his first 3 pro seasons combined. He also just turned 22 so he played half a season at AA at age 21. His bat isn't as bad as some people make it sound.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
If you look at Escobar's numbers through his career he is giving us some reason be believe that his hit tool is coming around. Early on a good fastball would knock the bat out of his hands, as he's gotten older his numbers have gotten better and better, and he has started to hit the ball with some authority hitting 6HR last season after having just one his first 3 pro seasons combined. He also just turned 22 so he played half a season at AA at age 21. His bat isn't as bad as some people make it sound.

Also, didn't he hit like 5 HR in the AFL this fall? I realize it's the AFL, but 5 HR or whatever he hit is still impressive.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)

He is taken the Brandon Allen route of developing. (which is very common with some prospects as well) Getting better every year and maturing overall in his game.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:20 PM)
He is taken the Brandon Allen route of developing. (which is very common with some prospects as well) Getting better every year and maturing overall in his game.

For power hitters sure, but I don't think that's standard practice for guys like Escobar.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Escobar still needs to prove to me he can hit over a full season anywhere in the minor leagues before I get too excited about him.

I don't think I'd get too excited about him even if he does hit. With the whole Sox infield under team control for at least 3 years and likely pitching needs over the next season, he's not hitting the big leagues with this team.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
1. Chris Sale

2. Brent Morel

3. Dayan Viciedo

4. Jared Mitchell

5. Eduardo Escobar

6. Gregori Infante

7. Jacob Petrika

8. Brandon Short

9. Trace Thompson

10. Anthony Carter

11.. Charlie Leesman

12. Santos Rodriguez

13. Addison Reed

14. Mike Blanke

15. Lucas Harrell

16. Thomas Royse

17. Tyler Flowers

18. Jordan Danks

19. Andy Wilkins

20. Tyler Saldino

21. Nate Jones

22. Jhonny Nunez

23. Kyle Cofield

24. Miguel Gonzalez

25. Andre Rienzo

26. Josh Phegly

27. Matt Heidenreich

28. Jon Gilmore

29. Cameron Bayne

39. Spencer Arroyo

31. Kyle Bellamy

Overall, it ranks the Sox system 27th.

Thoughts?

I ordered mine from Amazon to save some money. Thanks for spoiling the surprise. ;)

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)
Got mine today. It's funny how excited I am to read about our awful minor league system. Imagine how excited die hard Royals fans must have been when they got their copy...

Not hard when they've had next to nothing to get excited about for two decades. But yeah, they are loaded. They're going to be real good soon.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 02:52 AM)
Got mine today. It's funny how excited I am to read about our awful minor league system. Imagine how excited die hard Royals fans must have been when they got their copy...

I'm partial to being excited when publications pick us to win our division, but maybe that is just me!

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Since when does recognizing your team's minor league system is in rough shape equal not caring about he major league team?

Well, since about 2005 with the White Sox, since we've heard the same thing about the minors every year since then.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:02 AM)
Not hard when they've had next to nothing to get excited about for two decades. But yeah, they are loaded. They're going to be real good soon.

Most of the Royals fans I know are tired of hearing about the future. They've heard about great prospects (Alex Gordon most recently) that either weren't successful or got traded before they could get them any help (Dye, Damon, Beltran, Greinke) for years. Royals fans aren't excited.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
Most of the Royals fans I know are tired of hearing about the future. They've heard about great prospects (Alex Gordon most recently) that either weren't successful or got traded before they could get them any help (Dye, Damon, Beltran, Greinke) for years. Royals fans aren't excited.

Then they may as well switch teams or find another sport. Because that farm is their only hope. I have to imagine there's some excitement with caution, atleast.