Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm hearing from my co-workers that there are rolling blackouts in Texas today...the utilities are having all kinds of difficulties...anyone hear from Kap or Tex today?

Tex noted that he was having them in the alphabet thread.

(Can't wait til the lights go out at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday).

Um, I just went outside for the first time and shoveled around my car and made a path up to the house. Wasn't that bad with the snow being so light since it hasn't settled yet. But I have for the first time come to the realization that I might not even be able to make it to work tomorrow either. Our streets have snow 4 feet high and I don't see any snow plows in sight. Darn.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Um, I just went outside for the first time and shoveled around my car and made a path up to the house. Wasn't that bad with the snow being so light since it hasn't settled yet. But I have for the first time come to the realization that I might not even be able to make it to work tomorrow either. Our streets have snow 4 feet high and I don't see any snow plows in sight. Darn.

this.

I park on a side street in the city and it hasn't been plowed yet. I spent about 30 minutes shoveling around my car and whatnot - but the problem is it's still surrounded by 3 ft high drifts and the plows have yet to push more snow against the car.

I already emailed my boss and let her know that it's a good chance I'll be working from home tomorrow too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm hearing from my co-workers that there are rolling blackouts in Texas today...the utilities are having all kinds of difficulties...anyone hear from Kap or Tex today?

tis true

our power was shut off this morning for a little bit

Ugh, my arms & legs are so f***ing sore. I think I got used to condo living and never having to shovel.

My street is plowed and they did the alley around noon (making a 4 foot pile of snow along my garage door), so it looks like back to work tommorow for both of us. That was a fun storm, for once it lived up to the Chicago hype machine.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Most Chicagoans that aren't mostly brain dead are aware that LSD is a lot more unstable when it comes to weather than all the other major arteries that we have to drive on. I for one don't even need to be warned that it might be a problem driving on that road even when the weather is half as bad as forecasted yesterday. But we are all capable of brainfarts every now and then.

whole-heartedly agree. I had no sympathy for them. You are talking about a road with no way out for mile stretches in the north, and that's a long ways in the city. Add any instability and it's completely screwed. There are so many ways to go NORTH in CHICAGO that I completely disagree with you balta. Those people were stupid.

I didn't read all of those posts in the last few pages but I see y'all talking about LSD - I don't know what the city has to apologize for here. Yes it was a clusterf*** but what else could they do? People ask "why didn't they plow LSD?" I'm pretty sure every plow the city had was in use somewhere important. Why didn't they shut it down? I don't know... but that traffic has to go somewhere else. Plus it wasn't like it was a secret there was a historic blizzard on the way, and LSD is notoriously unstable. 25 feet waves off the lake and whatnot. Blizzards are considered emergency conditions for a reason.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I didn't read all of those posts in the last few pages but I see y'all talking about LSD - I don't know what the city has to apologize for here. Yes it was a clusterf*** but what else could they do? People ask "why didn't they plow LSD?" I'm pretty sure every plow the city had was in use somewhere important. Why didn't they shut it down? I don't know... but that traffic has to go somewhere else. Plus it wasn't like it was a secret there was a historic blizzard on the way, and LSD is notoriously unstable. 25 feet waves off the lake and whatnot. Blizzards are considered emergency conditions for a reason.

I agree. It's one of the main roads for people leaving the loop and going north/south. The entire city left work early and tried to get home, closing the road early would have caused trouble elsewhere. They warned people all f***ing day and planned on closing it after rush hour. It was just bad luck that there were 3 bad accidents close together in a half hour span, including a stalled CTA bus that blocked all the lanes. If it wasnt for that bus, I don't think its anywhere near as bad. And they had to keep the bus running to get people home from work.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
I agree. It's one of the main roads for people leaving the loop and going north/south. The entire city left work early and tried to get home, closing the road early would have caused trouble elsewhere. They warned people all f***ing day and planned on closing it after rush hour. It was just bad luck that there were 3 bad accidents close together in a half hour span, including a stalled CTA bus that blocked all the lanes. If it wasnt for that bus, I don't think its anywhere near as bad. And they had to keep the bus running to get people home from work.

I believe that bus completely blocked the belmont exit which makes a HUGE distance where there is NOWHERE to go.

http://instagr.am/p/BWvvP/

LOGAN SQUARE BETCHES.

We got fortunate here. The storm cut out at 11am instead of going until 7pm tonight like originally scheduled.

The good news is that most of the main roads are plowed, the bad news is, most side roads still have 3 feet of snow drifts in places.

The second bad news, lake effect snow should be starting in the next hour and go all night.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
We got fortunate here. The storm cut out at 11am instead of going until 7pm tonight like originally scheduled.

The good news is that most of the main roads are plowed, the bad news is, most side roads still have 3 feet of snow drifts in places.

The second bad news, lake effect snow should be starting in the next hour and go all night.

Same happened here. We ended up with about a foot and a coating of ice. But everything closed anyway, which is nice.