Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
There is something about cleaning off your driveway after a deep snow fall, standing back, and admiring your work.

oh yeah. Not sure why either. I'm sure the guy that barely shovels and does just enough to get his car out, looks at people like me and says...loser!

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
oh yeah. Not sure why either. I'm sure the guy that barely shovels and does just enough to get his car out, looks at people like me and says...loser!

i have lazy ass neighbors. I kind of look down on those people actually. My neighbor to the left of me is like 83 so to me it's like a moral obligation to shovel her sidewalk, and there's community stairs that we all use. Guess who's the only one to do that?

Until last year though there was a mystery neighbor that used to get up at dawn when it snowed and shovel all of our sidewalks, I never knew until right before he moved that it was a guy who had an accident and had brain damage and couldn't work, he used to say "these people got to go to work" but he never wanted us to see him shoveling.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
Still think that a snowblower is a bad investment, lost?

seeing as how I don't live in Chicago and didn't have a once-in-a-generation blizzard since then, and have a townhouse with only about 30 feet of sidewalk I haven't really changed my mind.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm hearing from my co-workers that there are rolling blackouts in Texas today...the utilities are having all kinds of difficulties...anyone hear from Kap or Tex today?

They hit my gf's school. She taught a lesson in the dark. We are starting an hour later tomorrow and two hours later on Friday. It must not be football season because all athletics have been canceled until the weekend. My soccer game was moved from 9am to noon.

What was weird was I heard an interview with a spokesperson from our local electric provider and it was a friend of mine from Scouts. Funny to hear him "working". They believe the rolling blackouts will continue for the next couple days.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
They hit my gf's school. She taught a lesson in the dark. We are starting an hour later tomorrow and two hours later on Friday. It must not be football season because all athletics have been canceled until the weekend. My soccer game was moved from 9am to noon.

What was weird was I heard an interview with a spokesperson from our local electric provider and it was a friend of mine from Scouts. Funny to hear him "working". They believe the rolling blackouts will continue for the next couple days.

Yeeeup.

They lost some plants on the grid up here and they can't keep up with the demand because of it, so rather then have the generators burn up due to too much pull, they are doing the rolling blackouts.

It's terrible on a CNC shop (saw someone else mention that)... :)

And Balta, the hotels (and JerryWorld ™ for that matter) that the teams are staying at for the Pooper Jerry Bowl are exempted from the blackouts. Ain't that nice of them? Stupid f***ers.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
seeing as how I don't live in Chicago and didn't have a once-in-a-generation blizzard since then, and have a townhouse with only about 30 feet of sidewalk I haven't really changed my mind.

I'm putting a hex on your weather... :chair :snow

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Yeeeup.

They lost some plants on the grid up here and they can't keep up with the demand because of it, so rather then have the generators burn up due to too much pull, they are doing the rolling blackouts.

And Balta, the hotels (and JerryWorld ™ for that matter) that the teams are staying at for the Pooper Jerry Bowl are exempted from the blackouts. Ain't that nice of them? Stupid f***ers.

Yeah, I heard that they were losing generators because of the cold temps...which surprised me. Texas runs it's own grid so even though utilities in the southwest were trying to help them out, there wasn't much that could be done. Power was selling for $3k a MW in Texas earlier today though, so it's certainly not because they aren't trying to keep your lights on...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
i have lazy ass neighbors. I kind of look down on those people actually. My neighbor to the left of me is like 83 so to me it's like a moral obligation to shovel her sidewalk, and there's community stairs that we all use. Guess who's the only one to do that?

Until last year though there was a mystery neighbor that used to get up at dawn when it snowed and shovel all of our sidewalks, I never knew until right before he moved that it was a guy who had an accident and had brain damage and couldn't work, he used to say "these people got to go to work" but he never wanted us to see him shoveling.

I love those people, the ones that don't want any credit for their good deeds.

Looks like I'll be "working from home" again tomorrow. That means I'll be doing nothing at all.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Yeeeup.

And Balta, the hotels (and JerryWorld for that matter) that the teams are staying at for the Pooper Jerry Bowl are exempted from the blackouts. Ain't that nice of them? Stupid f***ers.

Who takes care of the wires and poles up that way? We have AEP (formerly CP&L).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I don't know what/if they could have done better or differently, but Metra is really getting their ass kicked by the storm. From all the delays/changes/cancellations, to the s***ty job they did informing people, they are not having a good week.

I have yet to see a public transit system that didn't struggle with this problem. I wish I knew the answer, because I'd be a rich-assed consultant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
I have yet to see a public transit system that didn't struggle with this problem. I wish I knew the answer, because I'd be a rich-assed consultant.

Very true. Especially with Metra, which has numerous stations that are all outside without even an office, it's definitely not an easy task.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
[/b]

In the long term, I think smartphones are the answer to that problem, but only a limited selection of the population has the ability to access that data right now.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I haven't watched any news the last day or so. Where is this storm right now and will it hit the north east?

It's all gone. It hit us shortly after the midwest, but it wasn't nearly as powerful.