Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

Well I left work on Tuesday at 4:40 PM and got home around 8:15 PM. That included stopping at a truck stop on the way. So I only added about an extra 1.5 hours to my commute.

There was surprisingly little traffic. The worst part was trying to figure out where the road was since I couldn’t see a single white or yellow line. Also the snow would pick up every so often and I couldn’t see more than a few feet in front of me for a few seconds.

Tuesday night when they started pulling the plows off the roads and actually issuing citations for anyone that got stuck in Boone County I decided to just stay home on Wednesday.

Wednesday afternoon I finally went out and dug out the giant drift of snow on my front sidewalk. Luckily I only had to shovel around my car and about 5 feet of driveway behind it.

I actually made good time coming in this morning with the schools being closed.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I don't know what/if they could have done better or differently, but Metra is really getting their ass kicked by the storm. From all the delays/changes/cancellations, to the s***ty job they did informing people, they are not having a good week.

My train home Tues had switch problems after a the first few stops. The conductors went outside to try and manually pop the switch. I guess the one conductor couldn't unlock the box and the other went out to help and his key broke off in the lock. We had to back way the hell up, to where we could switch tracks. Train was about 90 minutes late. I was pissed, but when I got home and saw some of other s*** that went down....it made it a little better. Biggest thing is communication. The conductors never announced one thing to us on the train. Just the automated message about the train being XX minutes behind schedule. I found out what really happened this morning. I think people would have been more understanding, if they just explained what the hell happened.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
So, so, SO glad we decided to buy a snowblower back in December. I resisted at first, but this would have been horrendous without it. Long corner lot, and we have to do our sidewalks ourselves. Plus the driveway.

I had the flu the last couple of days but still managed to help my wife shovel our driveway, which was covered in about 2-3 feet of snow. We spent 3 hours digging out a quarter of the driveway, just big enough to get our car out. 5 minutes after we finished my neighbor came over with his big snowblower and finished the rest of our driveway in 10 minutes. I was both happy that he did that, and pissed that we wasted so much time and energy. I'm definitely buying one at the end of this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
In the long term, I think smartphones are the answer to that problem, but only a limited selection of the population has the ability to access that data right now.

Whose smart phones though? How do you know the information coming out is trustworthy?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Whose smart phones though? How do you know the information coming out is trustworthy?

I would say that a CTA app which linked to live updated train locations and cancellations as they are posted would be a great way for the public to get that information instantly as decisions are made.

Bus services have been getting on these systems for exactly that purpose over the last year or so; you put a GPS on a Bus and people can get information about how long they'll be waiting at a stop.

If it's an official CTA app, then the information would come directly from the people running the trains and making cancellation/activity decisions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
I would say that a CTA app which linked to live updated train locations and cancellations as they are posted would be a great way for the public to get that information instantly as decisions are made.

Bus services have been getting on these systems for exactly that purpose over the last year or so; you put a GPS on a Bus and people can get information about how long they'll be waiting at a stop.

If it's an official CTA app, then the information would come directly from the people running the trains and making cancellation/activity decisions.

The problem is they could be doing this stuff on the buses and trains right now, but don't. I can't tell you how many times in 12 years I have been stuck on a train, where not even the people running the train have any idea what is going on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
The problem is they could be doing this stuff on the buses and trains right now, but don't. I can't tell you how many times in 12 years I have been stuck on a train, where not even the people running the train have any idea what is going on.

I don't take the CTA but they do have an application, but it doesn't seem like it is exactly like what people would need.

http://www.transitchicago.com/apps/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)

Despite not living there, I've definitely gotten the impression that the Chicago Public Transit system is one in need of serious funding/upgrades.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
The CTA may have been overhauled if they had gotten the Olympic bid. Now, it'll be at least 25 more years of patching holes.

Didn't the CTA basically blow $100 million + on the unfinished hole in the ground I believe under block 37? It was supposed to be some sort of superstation. The problem with giving the CTA more money is it will not be spent correctly. It never has been. This is the organization that knowingly blew off, actually faked, track inspections so they could use that money on something else. I think the entire agency needs to be overhauled. I think you are correct. The Olympics and fed money is the only way this system will ever truly be fixed. If you gave the CTA a check tomorrow to make all the repairs and upgrades that needed to be made, they would be out of money before 5% of the project was done.

Edited by Dick Allen