Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (QuincyStandback @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
I hope it snows like the dickens, so it gives me an excuse to sit inside and play video games.

I'll be "working from home", which really means I'll be doing the above.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
The New Year's Day blizzard. That s*** was awful.

I was living in Evanston at the time, we got 32" overnight. I was parking on the street at that time, and by the time I went to dig out the car (in Evanston during snow rule you have to switch sides of the street each night), I couldn't tell where my car actually was. There was just a series of lumps along the side of the road covered in snow, so you had to shovel off part of a car... decide that no, that wasn't yours... and move onto the next one.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
Man you guys are f***ed. Last year's East Coast blizzard was 2 feet plus, about what that forecast looks like. I believe the 24-hour record snowfall for Chicago is like 19.8"

That's at O'Hare. By the lake I've seen 3 feet-ish in one storm.

Also, I remember the '78 winter blizzards, where it snowed for a week and there was 4-5 feet of snowpack on the ground. That was the worst I've seen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Anyone here any revisions to the forecast or it still supposed to be a doozy?

Tom Skilling saying we will get a "small" storm starting this afternoon into tomorrow morning, dropping 4" (or 6" near lake). Then Tuesday the hammer drops with the bigger storm, which is 16-24" of snow. Heavier near the lake.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
I was living in Evanston at the time, we got 32" overnight. I was parking on the street at that time, and by the time I went to dig out the car (in Evanston during snow rule you have to switch sides of the street each night), I couldn't tell where my car actually was. There was just a series of lumps along the side of the road covered in snow, so you had to shovel off part of a car... decide that no, that wasn't yours... and move onto the next one.

That's at O'Hare. By the lake I've seen 3 feet-ish in one storm.

Also, I remember the '78 winter blizzards, where it snowed for a week and there was 4-5 feet of snowpack on the ground. That was the worst I've seen.

2003 we got 3 feet of lake effect two days before Christmas. The crazy thing was 3.5 miles down the road at my in-laws, they only had a foot. The worst was the 1998 blizzard that shutdown I-94 and the south shore for the better part of a week. That one was massive.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
Is the storm going to be eradicating an entire ethnic population of people?

That was a reference to the Onion News Network. They had some huge blizzard storm watch and the graphic just said "Snowlocaust 2011".

It's probably thinking a bit too far ahead, but it's worth noting that a late-January storm like this, if it comes to pass, on top of the other hits earlier in the winter which have partially melted, sets up prime conditions for another large series of Midwest floods in a couple months.

Of course you still need a wet spring, fairly rapid melting, etc., but the pump will probably be primed.