Sox Sign Lastings Milledge to MLC

soxfan420

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
"this is probably my second favorite move of the off-season"

really? behind Konerko... and Dunn... and Alexei... and Danks... and Ohman... and Quentin... and AJ?

put me on record as saying I believe Milledge will make the Major League roster, I'm just not sure if it'll happen in time for Opening Day. I believe he could have something to prove (other than being an a$$hat) and do well in the White Sox organization. if not, cya!

Well, for one, I don't consider year-to-year arbitration signings great 'moves'. Why on earth would I consider bringing CQ back a good move anyway? Maybe I should've said second favorite acquisition? And lol at being giddy over Will Ohman.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
Well, for one, I don't consider year-to-year arbitration signings great 'moves'. Why on earth would I consider bringing CQ back a good move anyway? Maybe I should've said second favorite acquisition? And lol at being giddy over Will Ohman.

I'm boggled that he would include Will Ohman over Jesse Crain as the better acquistion. And honestly, I think that Crain is the most forgotten offseason acquisition because I honestly forget about him every time I think about our bullpen too.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
"this is probably my second favorite move of the off-season"

really? behind Konerko... and Dunn... and Alexei... and Danks... and Ohman... and Quentin... and AJ?

put me on record as saying I believe Milledge will make the Major League roster, I'm just not sure if it'll happen in time for Opening Day. I believe he could have something to prove (other than being an a$$hat) and do well in the White Sox organization. if not, cya!

Seriously, do people confuse Milledge with Delmon Young and/or Elijah Dukes?

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 01:21 AM)
I think you people are getting way too excited, ide be willing to bet he doesn't even make the roster

I'll take some of that action... AVATAR BET!

If Milledge makes the team, I get to pick your avatar and you have to keep it for 30 days. And if he doesn't, you can pick mine.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
I'll take some of that action... AVATAR BET!

If Milledge makes the team, I get to pick your avatar and you have to keep it for 30 days. And if he doesn't, you can pick mine.

You sir, have a deal

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 01:21 AM)
I think you people are getting way too excited, ide be willing to bet he doesn't even make the roster

I agree and would normally take that bet too, but we really are running out some crap this year from a 4th OF perspective. Teahen is the best bat but he's not an OF, DeAza can play CF but he's below average at best offensively, D2 has the D but can't hit the broadside of a barn, then there's Gartrell, etc. This is a midgets game and Little Lastings is tall enough to play.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
I agree and would normally take that bet too, but we really are running out some crap this year from a 4th OF perspective. Teahen is the best bat but he's not an OF, DeAza can play CF but he's below average at best offensively, D2 has the D but can't hit the broadside of a barn, then there's Gartrell, etc. This is a midgets game and Little Lastings is tall enough to play.

Mark Teahen has started 290 games in the outfield in his career. Mark Teahen can play in the outfield.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
-0.9 UZR in his career in the outfield :huh

There are plenty of worse outfielders. As a backup outfielder, he's perfectly acceptable.

He had 1 good season there judged by UZR, 2007 when he played RF 130+ games and was supposedly above average. Since then, he's played there 132 games, and put up a -12 UZR.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
He had 1 good season there judged by UZR, 2007 when he played RF 130+ games and was supposedly above average. Since then, he's played there 132 games, and put up a -12 UZR.

Which would mean that he's played 160 games in the outfield the previous 4 seasons. It's not surprising that when he played a ton out there, he was good, and when he didn't play a ton, he was only OK or bad.

I think the numbers probably do him justice. Average arm, slightly below average range, will catch pretty much everything that comes at him. For what he is expected to do with the White Sox, that's perfect.

Edited by witesoxfan

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
6a00d83451c47869e200e54f1335d88833-800wi

Oh god, this is terrible. TERRIBLE.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
I think some people automatically assume that a black man in cornrows is a bad person or troublemaker.

Well, yeah. Don't you?

And he wears hot pink dress shirts? This guy is quite the target for racists and homophobes (not to mention hispanic dudes in the winter league).

And who the hell names their kid Lastings? How embarrassing, but then again, I guess it's better than naming your kid Lesean, Desean, Tayshaun, Knowshon, or Shonn. It's arguable, though.

That said, I hope he works out!

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
And who the hell names their kid Lastings? How embarrassing, but then again, I guess it's better than naming your kid Lesean, Desean, Tayshaun, Knowshon, or Shonn. It's arguable, though.

If it aint Matt-yew, Mark, Luke or John i aint considerin' it a human dats right my friendz

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 01:22 AM)
So.....can I Sox add Millledge to the 25-man roster (to fulfill the signing), and then immediately send him down to AAA? Or can they just give him the contract, but have him start in AAA anyway?

It's a minor league contract. He will be assigned to the minors if he doesn't make the roster. For him to be added to the 25-man roster, he also had to be added to the 40-man. I have no idea what his option situation is right now, but I imagine he is out of options, so if the Sox were to add him and then drop him, he'd have to be exposed to waivers to be sent down.

There may be an out-clause in his contract that if he isn't on the 25-man by some point in the season he can ask for his release, but with someone that young and unproven, I really tend to doubt it.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Oh god, this is terrible. TERRIBLE.

Well, yeah. Don't you?

And he wears hot pink dress shirts? This guy is quite the target for racists and homophobes (not to mention hispanic dudes in the winter league).

That said, I hope he works out!

:notworthy

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Mark Teahen has started 290 games in the outfield in his career. Mark Teahen can play in the outfield.

I think he can too plus when you look at developing a roster I believe you look at versatility. Teahan can play 3B and the OF and maybe IB all when needed. Milledge will get his chance to show what he can do as will others trying to make the roster out of ST, but in the end a vetrean player like Teahan probably gets the nod