Duchscherer signs with Os

southsider2k5

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Baltimo...hscherer-013011

Source: Orioles sign RHP Duchscherer

Ken Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since August 2005. He appears weekly on MLB on FOX. Follow him on Twitter.

PRINT RSS

2 comments »

Updated Jan 30, 2011 11:26 PM ET

The Orioles added to their rotation Sunday, reaching agreement with free-agent right-hander Justin Duchscherer on a one-year contract, according to a major league source.

Orioles at a glance

Baltimore Orioles

Looking for the latest on the Orioles? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

The deal, pending a physical, includes a $700,000 base salary and incentives that can bring the total package to $4.5 million, according to The Baltimore Sun.

While Duchscherer has made all but 32 of his 224 career appearances in relief, the Orioles envision him as a starter. Duchscherer, who missed all of 2009 and most of 2010 because of elbow and hip surgeries, has gained 15 pounds and looked "real sharp" in a recent bullpen session, a second source said.

Duchscherer, a 2008 All-Star, will add veteran depth to the Orioles' young rotation. Right-hander Jeremy Guthrie is the Orioles' only starter with significant major league experience.

I have not followed the Yankee situation very closely but heard rumblings of them going for this guy. With their desperation for two viable starters why did they not bite?

Duchscherer is not an allstar but i think the O's are going to be pretty decent this year. this is unfortunate because they are in one strong division.

Edited by cws0591

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
I have not followed the Yankee situation very closely but heard rumblings of them going for this guy. With their desperation for two viable starters why did they not bite?

Duchscherer is not very good but i think the O's are going to be pretty decent this year. this is unfortunate because they are in one strong division.

I have a feeling that the yanks are going to make a big trade for pitching soon. I think that they are trying to wait to see what Pettitte is going to do, and when he turns them away for good, they will get desperate. Not only do they have to worry about the boston red cubs, they also have to worry about Toronto and Baltimore, both of whom have made big time improvements to their squads.

Not really a missed opportunity. He missed all of 2009, and started only 5 games last year. He was pretty good, but you can't take much from 5 games. He's only started 32 games in his entire career, otherwise he's been a reliever. The most starts he made was 22 in 2008, and he was hurt a little beyond halfway through the season.

If you are going to sign an extra starter in case Peavy isn't ready by April, you don't sign someone who could very easily get hurt in Spring Training. You need to sign someone durable who you know is going to be able to make those starts, because otherwise you may as well just go with a generic AAA pitcher.