The Jermaine Dye Saga...

Cali

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
I have a friend who is still in the A's marketing organization and apparently JD loved to take strippers to Hawaii with him, would take them golfing/have them caddy for him, have them strip down and lie down on the green next to the hole and give him something to aim at.

:huh:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
The man made up his mind what he was willing to do, and what he wasn't willing to do. I can respect that.

Agree completely. I see no whining here, I see a guy who has decided the parameters within which he's willing to play, which I have great respect for. To me, that looks a lot more professional than hanging on by a thread for years.

I agree he was in denial about wanting to start in the OF, he thought he was still good out there, and he wasn't anymore. But him deciding not to play 4th OF for $3.3M last year, to me, does say he wasn't scrounging for cash. He wanted to play on his terms.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Last year, Dye was offended at $3 million offers. Then this offseason he says its not about the money he wants to play for a contender. Fine, but why would a contender give him anything but a minor league deal? If he is still able to hit, he'll make a team. If he can't he wins a trip to AZ or FL for 6 weeks. He was horrid the second half of 2009, sat out last year, and isn't exactly getting younger. JD has had a nice career, but really if his ego doesn't shrink and he quits instead of tries to make a comeback, I bet he'll regret it in a few years. He most likely doesn't need the money, but when you have the gift he was given, if he really loves to play and compete, he should try to do it for as long as he can.

Probably not, as I've heard multiple times that he's pretty cheap (doesn't tip, buy drinks for others, etc.).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
Agree completely. I see no whining here, I see a guy who has decided the parameters within which he's willing to play, which I have great respect for. To me, that looks a lot more professional than hanging on by a thread for years.

I agree he was in denial about wanting to start in the OF, he thought he was still good out there, and he wasn't anymore. But him deciding not to play 4th OF for $3.3M last year, to me, does say he wasn't scrounging for cash. He wanted to play on his terms.

That is fine but than go home and call it a career, no need to read about how good he thinks he is. Thome is doing what Dye should do if he really wants to play baseball.

Obviously Dye is not really looking to play and I really do not understand what his point is. His skillset has diminished and he either wants to play or he doesn't.

Solution seems simple to me. Sign a minor league contract that allows him to walk if he doesn't make the team by the end of spring training.

If he's not willing to do a deal like that, then he should just buy a damn rocking chair and get it over with.

Dye was nothing but class. I root nothing for the best for him and I can't say he's doing anything wrong here. He is entitled to do as he pleases and he's earned it in his career. IF he doesn't want to play for a minor league contract and would rather retire, that is his choice.

I do think he had an unfortunate end to his career. I know he had an awful 2nd half and he could really be done, but his first half was fantastic and he could still have some quality baseball left in him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
That is fine but than go home and call it a career, no need to read about how good he thinks he is. Thome is doing what Dye should do if he really wants to play baseball.

Obviously Dye is not really looking to play and I really do not understand what his point is. His skillset has diminished and he either wants to play or he doesn't.

Pretty sure that the press called HIM. And he doesn't want to call it a career, he wants to play on his terms. There is no whining here, or trying to be bigger than he is. I just don't get why people have a problem with this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Normally I'd say something smart like "I doubt the market for a 37 year old who spent a year away from the game is a big one", but then again, Jim Edmonds found work last year and dat mof*cka was 40.

Jim Edmonds lives in the world of reality. JD still thinks it's 2006.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
I have a friend who is still in the A's marketing organization and apparently JD loved to take strippers to Hawaii with him, would take them golfing/have them caddy for him, have them strip down and lie down on the green next to the hole and give him something to aim at.

He always used to ping me when he would see one of the Boys/Girls Clubs of America ads while he was with the Sox. Full respect. Love JD, bring that man a contract!

Awesome mental image!!!

As others have said, JD isn't playing because of JD.

He has a lot of pride. First he wasn't willing to DH then he was willing to switch to 1B then he was willing to DH a little and play the field. Finally, his options started dwindling last year and he wouldn't accept a bench role. Not playing last year really hurt his value because now, teams aren't even offering a guaranteed bench spot.

You could also consider that perhaps he realizes he doesn't have anything to add anymore. 2nd half of '09, he was probably the worst everyday player in the majors, both at the plate and in the field. He's not gonna tell the media that he's washed up so he'll say he's looking for this or looking for that.

.590 OPS in the 2nd half, .590!

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Solution seems simple to me. Sign a minor league contract that allows him to walk if he doesn't make the team by the end of spring training.

If he's not willing to do a deal like that, then he should just buy a damn rocking chair and get it over with.

This. Really seems like a no-brainer to me too scenario. Gotta prove you've still got it.

Frankly I'm shocked he's still off the market.

I'm not about to pile on JD because if you recall, he was offered more money elsewhere before '05 but he stuck to his commitment with us. So he doesn't strike me as a greedy bastard overvaluing himself.

That said, does nobody need a DH/backup outfielder?!?!

Wanting to be everyday in the OF I think is asking a bit much, but I don't see why either side wouldn't want him in the role of backup OF but otherwise full-time DH when he's not out there.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
This. Really seems like a no-brainer to me too scenario. Gotta prove you've still got it.

Exactly. If he can play, the team he's with will know by the end of spring training. How can he expect somebody to bow down and give him a guaranteed deal after he sat out a year?