*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Having a discussion with my friend about the best movie pre-workout: 300, Warrior, and Never Back Down top my list. Any of the Rocky movies are also a given.

I sometimes watch a P90x infomercial or just check out my gf's US weekly's for motivation.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Having a discussion with my friend about the best movie pre-workout: 300, Warrior, and Never Back Down top my list. Any of the Rocky movies are also a given.

2+ hours of motivation? jeez how much free time do you have? :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
2+ hours of motivation? jeez how much free time do you have? :P

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
LOL, that was my thought. It's hard enough finding the time to work out, then I have to add in a 2 hour movie before my workout?

I guess I wasn't clear enough. It's moreso an argument about what movie you see on TV or something along those lines that motivates you to go workout.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
How about good workout songs?

I listed to Pandora.

But when I could run and used my shuffle my "finishing song" or the one you can call up to get you going was always Kickstart My Heart.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)

I always watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, director's cut, before each workout.

• 2 weeks later...

holy monkey balls. i'm in good shape, but Asylum is going to f***ing destroy me. one of the workouts STARTS with a 6 minute mile stationary run with two sets of mountain climbers thrown in the middle. Effing crazy!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
holy monkey balls. i'm in good shape, but Asylum is going to f***ing destroy me. one of the workouts STARTS with a 6 minute mile stationary run with two sets of mountain climbers thrown in the middle. Effing crazy!

Note to self, never try any workout called "Asylum".

Ok so now that my body is feeling good again (I was a lil dinged up from rugby) I need to start working out again. Since I stopped doing p90x I've gained 15 pounds and it's killing me. p90x started getting stale with me, I use the heaviest resistance bands I found and I still feel I can do much more. I want size, I wanna sculpt my 295 lbs into a 255 brock lesnar type body.

I've got a bench, one 45lb dumbell, a tractor tire, and a sledge hammer. What sort of routine should I follow? Make me a routine and I'll follow!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
Ok so now that my body is feeling good again (I was a lil dinged up from rugby) I need to start working out again. Since I stopped doing p90x I've gained 15 pounds and it's killing me. p90x started getting stale with me, I use the heaviest resistance bands I found and I still feel I can do much more. I want size, I wanna sculpt my 295 lbs into a 255 brock lesnar type body.

I've got a bench, one 45lb dumbell, a tractor tire, and a sledge hammer. What sort of routine should I follow? Make me a routine and I'll follow!

Try out for the Bears?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Try out for the Bears?

If only the held open tryouts..What a story thatd be lol I refused to play high school ball because they insisted on playing me on the Oline and I wasnt feeling it... I was and still am a great tackler and I wasnt gonna play if I couldnt hit someone.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)

lol remember when you were trying to give P90X advice?

Sorry brother, but P90X DOES work - I just had a bunch of clients finish Day 90 yesterday. Losses of 25, 35, 44 pounds. Amazing stuff. I put on almost 10 pounds of muscle myself.

If it got stale, the issue aint the DVDs, it's between the ears. :)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

Sorry brother, but P90X DOES work - I just had a bunch of clients finish Day 90 yesterday. Losses of 25, 35, 44 pounds. Amazing stuff. I put on almost 10 pounds of muscle myself.

The issue is the lack of weights/a 2nd dumbell... I was using the resistance bands in place of the pull ups and have got as far back as I can go and the resistance still wasnt enough, I could realistically do 20+ reps. Once I get a job and buy another dumbell and a pull up rack I may go back to it.

Awhile back I went to join the military and I was 2% body fat away from being able to join and I was 315 at the time so I'm a big country strong guy and need something different. I wanna get BIG, right now, with the bands, I'll just tone up.

The fact that I wasnt able to get any clients really put a damper on the whole p90x thing too. Guess the whole if I can do it you can do it angle didnt work.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Anyone here try the KETO diet?

I've tried some ketogenic diets and while there is a lot of conflicting research on their use, I can basically give you the rundown on current knowledge in the field and my personal experiences:

-the state of ketosis offers no benefits (ketosis is the state in which your body completely switches from glucose to ketones for cellular fuel)

-fat burning benefits occur at glycogen depletion, which is achieved via low (not necessarily zero) carbohydrate intake and high volume resistance exercise

-ketogenic diets seem to be a higher risk for muscle wasting than typical calorie restriction diets

-once glycogen depletion is complete, there is a cool opportunity to "load" carbs for 24-48 hours and gain miniscule to zero fat (sometimes fat burning continues) and in this period many will experience muscle growth via glycogen supercompensation, which can counteract potential muscle wasting during your low calorie, low carb periods....typically these carb loads can be done weekly

-simply eating few to zero carbs offers no benefits unless you have an insulin-related health problem, it must be paired with a low calorie, high protein diet

my personal thoughts:

-it takes some work to keep your diet interesting when you can't eat carbs...you're basically left with meat, cheese, and fibrous vegetables

-if you accidentally go into ketosis, you could experience some headaches or self-hatred for a short period of time

-it may be best to change your normal meal frequency as it will be hard to be satiated on few calories -- maybe cut out breakfast or even breakfast and lunch, allowing you to have at least one large meal for the day to make you feel full

-periodic carb loads work both physically and pysychologically...you get something to look forward to while you're so restricted and by the time you're down with the carb load you're going to be so full of carbs that you won't want to see them for a few days

I can offer you an ebook from Lyle McDonald who has done oodles of research on ketogenic diet and adapted a formerly popular diet/exercise plan called the "Ultimate Diet" to reflect some newer research. Reading it all the way through can get somewhat heavy in the technical stuff, but he does put things in a way that you can understand how and why fat burning happens and how the diet plays into that. I'd be happy to help anyone answer questions they have if they want the book and get stopped up in some of the jargon

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I guess I wasn't clear enough. It's moreso an argument about what movie you see on TV or something along those lines that motivates you to go workout.

I've decided I want to go to the top of this:

halfdome.jpg

motivation enough for me

On a personal note, I've decided to put my personal study to use and get my personal trainer certification :D I'm 90% going to get NSCA certified because I have access to the textbooks for free, though ideally I'd probably get the NASM cert

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

P90X works, but not for what he's trying to do. There is no one size fits all workout, and for his specific goal, P90X is probably the worst workout he could attempt.

He wants to pack muscle. To pack muscle you hit the weights, and load up on heavy compound movements, mostly with barbells (not dumbbells). You could supplement this with a few P90X cardio workouts to drop some fat while building that muscle, but sticking with P90X when your goal is massive muscle gain is counter productive. P90X is clearly more cardio centric, which is why most people that use it lose weight and tone up, but don't pack on 30lbs of muscle.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
The issue is the lack of weights/a 2nd dumbell... I was using the resistance bands in place of the pull ups and have got as far back as I can go and the resistance still wasnt enough, I could realistically do 20+ reps. Once I get a job and buy another dumbell and a pull up rack I may go back to it.

Awhile back I went to join the military and I was 2% body fat away from being able to join and I was 315 at the time so I'm a big country strong guy and need something different. I wanna get BIG, right now, with the bands, I'll just tone up.

The fact that I wasnt able to get any clients really put a damper on the whole p90x thing too. Guess the whole if I can do it you can do it angle didnt work.

If you want to load up on muscle and get a "Brock Lesner" type look, you need to lift heavy weights, in compound fashion. I.E. with barbells, not dumbbells.

While doing that, you'll want to tone up, so using a few P90X workouts in conjunction with a massive lifting regime will get you the look you are aiming for. But you cannot do just one of them to accomplish what you're attempting to accomplish. The weights will pack on the muscle size, the P90X (or cardio) will burn off some of that body fat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
The chances of simultaneously cutting fat and building muscle are minute unless the individual is relatively untrained, has a considerable BF %, or is on the sauce

A lot of that depends on genetics, but it also has to do with diet, as in not taking in much fat while performing your workouts and doing your cardio consistently.

I find cutting fat and building muscle very easy, and I'm not untrained, I don't have a considerable body fat percentage and I'm not on the sauce. It has never been hard for me.