*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
How does yoga 3 days a week ( the DDP program calls for that anyway), then combine the sledge hammer and grappling ropes into a days routine, do that twice a week, and then do some sort of lifting another day.

Mon- Yoga

Tues- Rope/sledge

Wed- Yoga

Thurs- Weights

Fri- Yoga

Sat- Rope/Sledge

Sun-Rest

Or should I do Weights twice, rope/sledge once? What should I do for my weights session(s)?

Also gonna try to do some walking/jogging/sprinting in the mornings.

Is my 330 pound ass in over my head thinking I can do all that?

Sorry for the delay in response.

First and foremost, your mind is in the right place, but I think you're getting in over your head. It's not that you CAN'T do all of that, it's that life will undoubtedly interfere in your ability to do so, derailing everything, which usually leads to stopping altogether.

I'd suggest taking a different approach where you set daily goals on both the high and low end.

For example:

On Monday your goal is to do Yoga, but let's pretend something comes up and you won't have an hour to do so. IF that happens, you still do Yoga, but choose a shorter workout, even if that means breaking from the "plan". If you were scheduled to do a 47 minute Yoga workout (high end goal), do a 20 minute one instead (low end goal). So long as you hit ONE of those goals, you'll find it easier to stick to a workout plan.

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with your plan, since it's the plan YOU want to do. It's always easier to do exercises that you want to do, versus doing exercises you hate doing, but know you should do. (If that makes any sense.) ;)

Now, that said, 50% of this is diet. You want to lose weight fast? I can tell you how to do it in a healthy way, but many people don't like it. And no, it doesn't involve starving yourself to death, either. It's what I call junk salad eating, and I do it all the time. I've shed 15 lbs of fat and went down a few inches on my waist doing this.

Next time you head to the grocery store, hit the produce isle. The key here is all you're looking for is sale items. Buy the cheapest fruits and vegetables they have (berries, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, peaches, apples, onions), it doesn't matter what. Buy some mixed greens, again, the cheapest stuff they happen to have that day. Some sunflower seeds, or almond slices (cheapest again), some extra virgin olive oil, seasalt and cracked pepper (odds are you already have salt/pepper).

Buy some cheap boneless/skinless chicken breast, you can usually find great sales on this stuff and freeze a ton of it so you don't have to keep buying more. Marinate them in your favorite bbq sauce or marinade and cook it up. You can make enough for a few servings so you don't have to cook it every time, too. Just make sure it's done.

Take all that produce you bought, cut it up, toss it into a bowl, throw in some sunflower seeds, toss in a serving of that chicken breast, and cut up the salad just the same. You'll eat 2x as much salad if you cut it up vs letting it sit there all fluffy, it's also easier to eat this way. If you do it this way, it won't get old, because the sale items change on a weekly basis...so the salad you ate this week won't contain the same fruits/vegetables as the ones you have next week.

You're dressing is olive oil, salt and pepper. Nothing more.

Whatever you were going to eat for that meal that day, eat that instead. And do that every day. Replace one meal with that one. Along with your workouts, the weight will drop, and you won't feel hungry.

Note that the goal isn't to "lose weight", it's to better your life. Losing weight just happens to be an awesome side effect of this decision. The key is being realistic. I'm not going to tell you to stop drinking, or to stop eating pizza, etc. Set realistic goals you can meet everyday with your workouts, and on those days you feel extra lazy, get up and do a short yoga workout just to remind yourself of these goals. ;)

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tmar @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
nothing wrong with decline bench, just another angle to work out your chest at. A good complete workout incorporates all different angles. If you are getting shoulder pain then your form is off.

The declined angle adds pressure to your shoulder joint while placing the anterior deltoid at an angle which prevents it from activating fully, adding more stress to the joint. Instead of distributing the weight down on your chest, that angle causes the weight to come down on your shoulders more than usual. It's not necessarily "bad", especially for people with very strong shoulders, but it's inefficient due to the restricted range if motion that angle presents.

I'd suggest forward leaning dips in place of decline bench, same target, but a safer more efficient movement with a much better range of motion, not to mention you can add weight with a chain.

Edited by Y2HH

Yes however since the deltoids aren't being used as much, the chest has to take over the most of the weight bearing duties. The shoulders won't take all the pressure if you are doing it right, you've either got your elbows flared out too much or you are shrugging your shoulders up and your path is therefore down closer to your upper chest. Yes weighed dips are also a great alternative however they can cause a the same if not even more shoulder pain than declines because it rotates your shoulder forward

QUOTE (Tmar @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
Yes however since the deltoids aren't being used as much, the chest has to take over the most of the weight bearing duties. The shoulders won't take all the pressure if you are doing it right, you've either got your elbows flared out too much or you are shrugging your shoulders up and your path is therefore down closer to your upper chest. Yes weighed dips are also a great alternative however they can cause a the same if not even more shoulder pain than declines because it rotates your shoulder forward

Because you are removing the deltoid from the equation and the weight still has to be supported by your shoulders, the pressure now falls on your shoulder sans delt, even if that angle removes some of the weight from the shoulder, any weight on your shoulders without the delts being able to assist is bad as far as I'm concerned.

I personally think declines are a waste time, and never recommend them to anyone for any reason.

If declines were so good, Arnold would have used them in his chest routine, and he didn't. I think you could be getting better results from other exercises, but that's just me.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
Because you are removing the deltoid from the equation and the weight still has to be supported by your shoulders, the pressure now falls on your shoulder sans delt, even if that angle removes some of the weight from the shoulder, any weight on your shoulders without the delts being able to assist is bad as far as I'm concerned.

I personally think declines are a waste time, and never recommend them to anyone for any reason.

If declines were so good, Arnold would have used them in his chest routine, and he didn't. I think you could be getting better results from other exercises, but that's just me.

Not sure if decline presses are good or not, but I don't think this is very sound reasoning.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Not sure if decline presses are good or not, but I don't think this is very sound reasoning.

It's just the icing on the cake that solidifies my opinion on the move. If the best ever didn't use them, I think it says something pretty loud and clear. Not only based on that, but based on personal experimentation and experience, there are alternative superior moves IMO. Everyone here is free to do them, though, hell they may be the best move you've ever done in your own experience. I just recommend alternatives/otherwise when asked is all.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
Sorry for the delay in response.

First and foremost, your mind is in the right place, but I think you're getting in over your head. It's not that you CAN'T do all of that, it's that life will undoubtedly interfere in your ability to do so, derailing everything, which usually leads to stopping altogether.

I'd suggest taking a different approach where you set daily goals on both the high and low end.

For example:

On Monday your goal is to do Yoga, but let's pretend something comes up and you won't have an hour to do so. IF that happens, you still do Yoga, but choose a shorter workout, even if that means breaking from the "plan". If you were scheduled to do a 47 minute Yoga workout (high end goal), do a 20 minute one instead (low end goal). So long as you hit ONE of those goals, you'll find it easier to stick to a workout plan.

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with your plan, since it's the plan YOU want to do. It's always easier to do exercises that you want to do, versus doing exercises you hate doing, but know you should do. (If that makes any sense.) ;)

Now, that said, 50% of this is diet. You want to lose weight fast? I can tell you how to do it in a healthy way, but many people don't like it. And no, it doesn't involve starving yourself to death, either. It's what I call junk salad eating, and I do it all the time. I've shed 15 lbs of fat and went down a few inches on my waist doing this.

Next time you head to the grocery store, hit the produce isle. The key here is all you're looking for is sale items. Buy the cheapest fruits and vegetables they have (berries, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, peaches, apples, onions), it doesn't matter what. Buy some mixed greens, again, the cheapest stuff they happen to have that day. Some sunflower seeds, or almond slices (cheapest again), some extra virgin olive oil, seasalt and cracked pepper (odds are you already have salt/pepper).

Buy some cheap boneless/skinless chicken breast, you can usually find great sales on this stuff and freeze a ton of it so you don't have to keep buying more. Marinate them in your favorite bbq sauce or marinade and cook it up. You can make enough for a few servings so you don't have to cook it every time, too. Just make sure it's done.

Take all that produce you bought, cut it up, toss it into a bowl, throw in some sunflower seeds, toss in a serving of that chicken breast, and cut up the salad just the same. You'll eat 2x as much salad if you cut it up vs letting it sit there all fluffy, it's also easier to eat this way. If you do it this way, it won't get old, because the sale items change on a weekly basis...so the salad you ate this week won't contain the same fruits/vegetables as the ones you have next week.

You're dressing is olive oil, salt and pepper. Nothing more.

Whatever you were going to eat for that meal that day, eat that instead. And do that every day. Replace one meal with that one. Along with your workouts, the weight will drop, and you won't feel hungry.

Note that the goal isn't to "lose weight", it's to better your life. Losing weight just happens to be an awesome side effect of this decision. The key is being realistic. I'm not going to tell you to stop drinking, or to stop eating pizza, etc. Set realistic goals you can meet everyday with your workouts, and on those days you feel extra lazy, get up and do a short yoga workout just to remind yourself of these goals. ;)

Good stuff here, thanks for all the info......At this point, I have no excuses to cut workouts short, at least for the next 2 or 3 months anyway. My sister just started working not to long ago and I'm stuck playing family taxi until she gets a car around tax return. So I quite literally have all the time in the world.....Only thing that's gonna stop me is my body. The plan is to follow my previous post, but I may have to throw in an another off day, and perhaps forget about the weights all together for now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
After a small play around period and a back injury today starts Day 1 of P90X3.

Pretty excited to see what a week of this does to me.

Hah, I started it today as well. Day 1 is in the books! Felt good.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Hah, I started it today as well. Day 1 is in the books! Felt good.

Nice pretty excited. If I didnt fall down the stairs 2 weeks ago I am sure I would have started by now.

I did a few test runs on the warrior etc, I like the nonstop pace.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
Day 1 in the books, definitely a different type of workout so far, quicker pace, lots of balance.

Yeah, they pulled a lot of the concepts of P90X2 into this one.

Just did Agility X this morning.

Wait til you see that goofy s***.

Rock, you think you will bother with the X3 Yoga? I think I might be able to actually tolerate this one...

This morning was "The Challenge." Basically, sets of different pull-ups and push-ups in fairly rapid succession for the entire half hour.

I'm really liking these shorter workouts...not a lot of time wasted warming up or dicking around. Just let's get down to it and be on our way.

Allows me to wake up at 5, feed my dogs and drop a deuce, then throw some shoes on, knock out the workout, then shower and get ready for work and out the door by 640 or so. I really am digging it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Rock, you think you will bother with the X3 Yoga? I think I might be able to actually tolerate this one...

This morning was "The Challenge." Basically, sets of different pull-ups and push-ups in fairly rapid succession for the entire half hour.

I'm really liking these shorter workouts...not a lot of time wasted warming up or dicking around. Just let's get down to it and be on our way.

Allows me to wake up at 5, feed my dogs and drop a deuce, then throw some shoes on, knock out the workout, then shower and get ready for work and out the door by 640 or so. I really am digging it.

I skipped it and did some swimming since my back was barking last night and I didnt want to have to take a vicodin before a workout. I may keep it or put in a weight training day.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)
I skipped it and did some swimming since my back was barking last night and I didnt want to have to take a vicodin before a workout. I may keep it or put in a weight training day.

Yeah, those jump knee jumps and scissor kick jumps are a bit hard on the back...

As I had some once-in-a-lifetime crazy work commitments in the past few months, I basically abandoned all exercise. My diet was absolutely horrible, but my overall calorie intake was often quite low, which kept my weight gain to just about 10 pounds (if I wasn't exercising under normal circumstances, I'd expect I would have eaten a lot more and gained a lot more).

Now is time to get back to it. I have to take things really slow because, of course, this all happened about 3 months after my shoulder surgery, meaning my right shoulder/arm/chest are super weak. I'm going to get back to running here shortly, but our weather is so nasty right now that I'm going to wait for the first day that is both dry and above freezing. I've been doing some real basic stuff in my apartment to get things going. It's sad how much really simple exercises can cause me fatigue and soreness, but it's nice to at least be making some progress.

One step at a time.

I just started P90X3 as well. I appreciate the half hour format, but the workouts are definitely a lot easier. If you haven't done any of the previous work outs, the learning curve is pretty steep. They don't give you much guidance. If you've never done Yoga, you're going to have a hell of a time keeping up. I'll stick with it because I'm so sick of the others, but I don't think I'll get as good of results. That should be obvious though the workouts are half the time.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
I just started P90X3 as well. I appreciate the half hour format, but the workouts are definitely a lot easier. If you haven't done any of the previous work outs, the learning curve is pretty steep. They don't give you much guidance. If you've never done Yoga, you're going to have a hell of a time keeping up. I'll stick with it because I'm so sick of the others, but I don't think I'll get as good of results. That should be obvious though the workouts are half the time.

Yeah, but if you work at a faster pace, and do 6 workouts a week, I think they should still be pretty effective.

I took off essentially 3 months from working out and just played football once a week and my body has bounced back pretty well after just the first 4 workouts.

I think I'll get some pretty solid results.

You could obviously do doubles if you like.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)

It's more of a do your own pace including speed up if it gets easy. I kind of like that. Definitely pause at times to make sure I'm doing it right.

I was never allowed to bench press growing up because I was a pitcher. But I love doing it at the gym now. Talk about instantly seeing results. There's nothing like a tight/sore chest a day or two after a lift. Having a big wingspan is such a pain in the ass though.