*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Third week is in the books...starting to feel like I am kicking some butt...and seeing some nice results.

On the nutrition end of things, I've been on a soup diet. Basically, I am making a huge pot of homemade soup, and eating it for most meals for a week. When I finish it, I move on to another soup. I usually have one or two slices of ciabatta along with it, but otherwise, this has been my meal for dinner and most lunches (some days at work I have had salads). To make sure I am getting enough protein, I'm drinking Muscle Milk Light protein shakes after every workout.

Feeling pretty good right now. Sometimes when you're working out hard the super nutritious meals don't feel all that filling, since they are so low in fat, but these hearty soups are definitely doing the job.

Anyone else on any new diets or anything?

Nothing new but when I get crazy on my work out kick, I just go with a high protein and low fat diet and then when I get close to where I want to be I start to watch the carbs as well, it honestly sucks but it works...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Nothing new but when I get crazy on my work out kick, I just go with a high protein and low fat diet and then when I get close to where I want to be I start to watch the carbs as well, it honestly sucks but it works...

My girlfriend is this super-skilled baker...she's been working with a nutritionist for the last few years developing recipes for sweets that are high in protein. They still have high fat contents but they have virtually no carbs. The nutritionist claims that even though the fat content is high, the lack of carbs makes them much better for you than normal sweets...

Oh my goodness they are gloriously tasty too...best things I've ever eaten...If I am really craving something sweet, I will eat it immediately after my workout because your body will basically devour anything you put in it at that point, so I doubt the fat is a concern.

Graduated college last month and have a lot of free time. I've been working my ass every day after I wake up and it just makes me feel so much better throughout the day. Been eating a lot more fruits throughout the day and Ive been taking Myoplex protein shakes after each workout.

It's so nice to have time and motivation to work out consistently. I hurt my knees a few times during college and it always set me back even further. My senior year of HS I was about 6'4, 199 when I was pitching. 5 years later, I'm 6'6 and 235. I think it'll help me to not have a goal weight, but instead, have a goal "look".

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
Great job WT!

After 8 days I've gained 4 pounds. I've gone from 196 to 200, my height is 6-2". I've been following my diet closely. Just wondering if that's a little excessive or what because if anything I'm looking to get rid of my gut and try to get a flat stomach.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
After 8 days I've gained 4 pounds. I've gone from 196 to 200, my height is 6-2". I've been following my diet closely. Just wondering if that's a little excessive or what because if anything I'm looking to get rid of my gut and try to get a flat stomach.

Weight can fluctuate real quickly, though in my experience I usually can lose a few lbs in a couple days rather than gain. Either way monitor your bf% instead of your weight if your trying to lose your gut.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
Anyone take any supplements before working out? I know people that have taken NO Xplode and Jack3d and heard good things about both.

This is a loaded question, and the answer is...it depends on what you're doing and why.

1) Supplement is the key word, which most people ignore. You only need to take these if you need to "supplement" your regular diet with added nutrients. The fact is, most people living a healthy lifestyle do NOT need to supplement their diets, but do so because "it's the thing to do!" It's somewhat like a insider handshake, but most gym rats or workout nuts won't admit this.

2) It depends on what you're trying to do. Gain weight? Lose weight? Add muscle mass? Depending on the answers to these questions, different supplements would be necessary, or not required at all.

Most supplements are gimmicks and mostly cause placebo effect, which do little to nothing in terms of actual "need". Yes, if you take something like Redbull before you work out, you'll have more energy, but it can also be dangerous as it elevates your heart rate to dangerous levels due to longer workouts. Many of those products have the same effect on you as Redbull or some other highly caffeinated beverage does. Do they work? The short answer is yes, because these types of products increase weight loss because they're elevating system functions, so you're burning more calories. It's really that simple, and as I said, it can also be dangerous.

Protein powders or drinks work, because protein is the basic building block of muscle. That is, *IF* you need to increase your protein intake (most people do not but want to believe they do, like I said, it's part of the culture). If you don't eat meat or other products which contain high amounts of protein, then adding a protein supplement would be a benefit, and any protein powder you can buy will work just fine. I used to mix Whey and Egg protein powders with a smoothie or skim milk once a day, but that was when I was body building (strictly for muscle mass gain), in conjunction with eating meat. However, if mass increase is not your goal and you already eat a lot of meat, you're most likely already taking in more than enough protein. If you aren't looking to "bulk up", increasing protein won't do much since you're already getting enough of it. As I said, it depends on your specific situation.

What about vitamins? Cheap vitamins don't work, first and foremost. The good vitamins will be "food based", which trick your body into actually digesting them and using them. If you take a vitamin that isn't "food based", your body has no use for it...it's somewhat hard to explain, but to any of you taking vitamins, notice the bright yellow color of your "pee" shortly after taking them. That's your vitamins right there...and the money you spent on them...being pissed away. ;) Do some research and read up on vitamins...for the most part, you're already getting enough of these nutrients that you're body doesn't need more and anything you give your body over what it requires will be 'gotten rid of'. You're digestive system is also a pretty complex beast and knows "fake from real".

People who push limits, such as Pro athletes, etc...tend to burn more calories and require more nutrients than normal because of this. Regular people doing regular workouts often do not need to take part in most of this money wasting. And most that do haven't done ANY experimentation as to how well it's working.

This is usually what happens and why everyone in a gym is an 'expert' on supplements and protein drinks: Person A begins working out...so person A likely starts taking supplements. In a few months Person A notices the grand difference and says it's due to the combination of working out and supplementing their diets that gave them the results they got. Since they never "just worked out" without the supplements, they have no idea if they would have achieved the same results...and odds are they would have unless there was some underlying reason why they needed the supplement in the first place. Vegetarians tend to intake less protein, so such a supplement WOULD be a benefit to them...but to a meat eater doing a regular gym routine, it's mostly not necessary. However, if you are doing extreme routines, where you're looking to go from size 14" arms to size 18"...ok...maybe then you need to supplement. ;) In short, supplements will work if they're required...and only a nutritionist that knows you're routines and current diet (intake) will know if supplementing is necessary. You could know, too...but it takes time to figure out in any scientific manner.

I know I'm not known as the 'resident expert', and most of you disregard my workout information...but I know more than you think.

Most of this is based on simple math. The good news is, you can get nutritional information on almost anything you eat these days, so you should have a ballpark figure as to how much you're in-taking in terms of calories, saturated fat, carbohydrates, protein and fiber. As a quick example, 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight is what most nutritionists use as a *ceiling* for pro athletes. Most agree 1.5 is MORE than enough for them. For a non pro athlete, it would be even less than 1.5, (IE, not even close to that)...so if you're already topping 1.0grams of protein per kg, you're probably already overdoing it...because let's be frank here, we aren't pro athletes. ;) Note: meat contains a VERY high amount of protein. Example, a mere 3oz chicken breast is about 25 grams of protein. A 6oz steak is a whopping 40-42 grams. And what meat eater here eats a piddly 6oz steak? :D

Edited by Y2HH

I don't think we discount your information..in fact, I appreciate it. I think sometimes it's more in the delivery than the content.

As for supplements, I drink a protein shake on days I work out, but that's all. I don't eat a lot of meat in my diet and so I think I probably benefit from a little bit of added protein in a shake.

I do agree with you though, if you just eat with a bit of common sense, you will experience great results with any sincere workout. It's amazing how quickly I see results when I just put in 5-7 hours a week.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I don't think we discount your information..in fact, I appreciate it. I think sometimes it's more in the delivery than the content.

As for supplements, I drink a protein shake on days I work out, but that's all. I don't eat a lot of meat in my diet and so I think I probably benefit from a little bit of added protein in a shake.

I do agree with you though, if you just eat with a bit of common sense, you will experience great results with any sincere workout. It's amazing how quickly I see results when I just put in 5-7 hours a week.

Are you saying there is something wrong with my delivery? :D Some of this is merely lost in translation...reading text can often sound of arrogance or cynicism when none is intended.

What you are doing supplement wise sounds proper based on what you said about your meat intake. However, keep in mind there are other forms of protein that are nearly as rich in content as meat, such as soy (tofu), milk, cheese and eggs.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
And fish obviously. Tuna + a tiny bit of fat free mayo and add some green pepper, celery and onion, delicious tuna salad for dinner, I've become obsessed with that meal.

I've given up on using the fat-free and "light" products and have gone back to the regular stuff. I think the crap they replace the fat with is actually worse than the fat itself.

Besides, a little fat helps you digest everything else more easily.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
I've given up on using the fat-free and "light" products and have gone back to the regular stuff. I think the crap they replace the fat with is actually worse than the fat itself.

Besides, a little fat helps you digest everything else more easily.

This, this, and this again.

Yes.

These chemical substitutes, while "safe", have had no long term testing as they have even existed long enough to know the adverse affects of 20+ years of consuming it. If you insist on cutting fat/calories, just don't eat the products, or eat less of them. Try the olive oil based mayo, at least that contains fat that's good for you, not to mention fat is essential. If you're active you don't have to worry about it, either. This goes for any kind of substitute, such as sugar substitutes...in the 70's it was saccharin, only years later they discovered it caused cancer in lab rats. Then it was NutraSweet...whoops, years later discovered that too caused adverse long term effects. If you love soda, just drink the real thing...and if you're overweight, just, well...don't. :)

The problem with these types of things, from diet to working out, is people who 1) diet, or 2) work out themselves, tend to LOVE giving others advice on how to eat and/or work out. The problem is, in order to give *PROPER* diet or work out advice, you need to know quite a bit about the person asking. IE. their metabolism, body type, weight, overall health and fitness, what they currently eat, family health history, etc...not knowing these things and blindly throwing very direct advice around is dangerous on a level I cannot get across to enough people. It's why when people ask me for workout advice that I do not know, I tend to generalize it.

The biggest thing, and I've said this in a previous post is people need to STOP confusing health and fitness, while related, they NOT the same in any regard. Years ago, I too, was guilty of all of the above...because what worked for me MUST work for the rest of the world, too. Not only was I wrong, I was WAY wrong.

Edited by Y2HH

I think most people overcomplicate things to no end. Just use common sense when eating, and you'll be fine. Like Y2H mentioned, unless you are an Olympic athlete or something, you don't need to trim every last gram of fat from your diet or eat some synthetic crap to avoid eating regular foods.

Well I certainly got a ton of information that I was seeking. My current goal isn't really gain, it's primarily to be more focused and workout with greater intensity. It was so much easier for me to workout like I wanted when I was an athlete but now it just seems like I'm missing the focus that I once had. I mean, I'm still motivated to get into better shape but I'm missing that "I want to add 3mph on my fastball and throw 7 innings" goal. :lol:

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Well I certainly got a ton of information that I was seeking. My current goal isn't really gain, it's primarily to be more focused and workout with greater intensity. It was so much easier for me to workout like I wanted when I was an athlete but now it just seems like I'm missing the focus that I once had. I mean, I'm still motivated to get into better shape but I'm missing that "I want to add 3mph on my fastball and throw 7 innings" goal. :lol:

Well, in the past, you motivated yourself through the desire to compete and perform at sports...now that you don't play sports competitively anymore, you can try shifting your motivation, right? What are some other things men enjoy besides kicking the s*** out of other men at sports?

I have often used women as motivating tools...:)

Shack, y2hh, I understand what you guys are saying but for cutting some belly fat it does work. And my best advice for anyone is to figure out what is best for you. I eat a ton of protein but supplementing my diet with protein shakes has allowed me to add muscle while trimming down body fat.

Also, shack your last line is the best motivator of all and has been my primary motivation since I've gone fitness crazy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Well, in the past, you motivated yourself through the desire to compete and perform at sports...now that you don't play sports competitively anymore, you can try shifting your motivation, right? What are some other things men enjoy besides kicking the s*** out of other men at sports?

I have often used women as motivating tools...:)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Shack, y2hh, I understand what you guys are saying but for cutting some belly fat it does work. And my best advice for anyone is to figure out what is best for you. I eat a ton of protein but supplementing my diet with protein shakes has allowed me to add muscle while trimming down body fat.

Also, shack your last line is the best motivator of all and has been my primary motivation since I've gone fitness crazy.

Women are always motivation. I've been away from my "gf" for a while now, so I've been using my next visit as motivation.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)

Protein shakes do NOT make you lose body fat alone, especially that pesky fat around your stomach. What's making you lose body fat is the fact you're working out and burning calories combined with a lesser intake of fat and carbs. In this regard, yes, low fat/low carb protein shakes CAN help if they're replacing otherwise higher fat/carb content protein based meals. If these shakes are just being added on top of these meals, then no...they're not assisting in weight or fat loss, as you're consuming even more calories.

The ONLY thing supplementing protein does is make sure you have enough protein to 1) build muscle and 2) rebuild broken down muscle tissues resulting from your workouts. If you quit taking protein shakes, you'd still shed just as much bodyfat so long as you didn't replace those missing shakes with high fat/carb meals. The questions is, would you add as much muscle? I'm not sure, I'd have to know your diet/eating habits. If you already eat a lot of lean meat, the answer would be no, as you'd probably be fine without the supplement so long as you weren't a pro body builder of immense size...however, if you're eating a lot of salads or other low protein meals, the shakes would be helping a lot, as this way you'd be supplementing the lack of protein in your meals.

To be clear, protein supplements work, they're one of the few dietary supplements that have been proven to do so. But like anything, you only need so much of it, and anything extra is wasted. If your workouts combined with your body type/size demand 100grams of protein per day for full recovery but you intake 200grams, the extra 100grams isn't doing anything whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, if you are intaking too much protein, it can lead to kidney failure.

From the Mayo Clinic: (Because my word isn't enough, I've highlighted the important parts to read)

For most healthy people, a high-protein diet generally isn't harmful if followed for a short time, such as three to four months, and may help with weight loss. However, the risks of using a high-protein diet — usually with carbohydrate restriction — for the long term are still being studied. Several health problems may result if a high-protein diet is followed for an extended time:

Some high-protein diets restrict carbohydrate intake so much that they can result in nutritional deficiencies or insufficient fiber, which can cause such health problems as constipation and diverticulitis, and may increase your risk for certain types of cancer.

High-protein diets often promote foods such as red meat and full-fat dairy products. Some experts believe a diet rich in these foods can increase your risk of heart disease.

A high-protein diet may cause or worsen liver or kidney problems because your body may already have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.

-----

Always be careful with supplementing. Supplementing in and of itself isn't bad when necessary...but when abused over a period of time, it can and will cause detrimental effects. I know people who eat high protein meals all day long, and supplement throughout the day with an additional 3 protein shakes. This is completely unnecessary. With a bit of simple math, it's easy to calculate what you're intaking on average and figure out what you need to supplement (if anything), and this is the ONLY way to supplement a diet properly. Unfortunately, most people don't want to do any work when it comes to diet...so they just guess.

Edited by Y2HH