*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
That's the goal, but mostly to cut down on fat so I've been looking into alternatives for the cheese since that's where most of my fat comes from and I should be getting enough from the eggs.

I don't always have the chicken, since I get tired of the boiled chicken taste/dryness that results from freezing it after cooking it.

Bake it or grill it. Still lean, still tasty, and moist if you don't overcook it.

I've been making what my family calls a "mexican stew" lately too, which is delicious and nutritious. Pretty much a tomato soup base with cabbage, green beans, corn, and chicken. Sooooo good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im actually quite good on the grill, it's just finding the time (I only have one of the smaller Weber grills, so doing the amount of chicken I usually cook at once, around 5 pounds, takes a few hours usually including prep and clean up while boiling takes 30 mins max). I love to marinade chicken breasts in lemon juice and fresh garlic over night then grilling it, so tender and tasty, great for fajitas.

My apartment makes these "diet" meals which are tupperware containers with brown rice and cut up boiled chicken that you can pull out to make an individual meal, which is where the fried rice/meal 2 comes from typically. The usual way of eating it is cooking the eggs on the side and microwaving the tupperware container then adding cottage cheese and spices to taste.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Im actually quite good on the grill, it's just finding the time (I only have one of the smaller Weber grills, so doing the amount of chicken I usually cook at once, around 5 pounds, takes a few hours usually including prep and clean up while boiling takes 30 mins max). I love to marinade chicken breasts in lemon juice and fresh garlic over night then grilling it, so tender and tasty, great for fajitas.

My apartment makes these "diet" meals which are tupperware containers with brown rice and cut up boiled chicken that you can pull out to make an individual meal, which is where the fried rice/meal 2 comes from typically. The usual way of eating it is cooking the eggs on the side and microwaving the tupperware container then adding cottage cheese and spices to taste.

Find the time. Boiled chicken tastes like s***. There are so many healthy, low fat, not to mention very tasty meals you can be eating, none of which contain any sort of boiled meat. You're finding the time to work out and exercise, find the time to cook right, too...boiled chicken. Yuck. I'd rather just eat "normal" high fat meals if that was the only "diet" alternative available.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)

Another suggestion is making homemade soup....you can make a big pot of it with a bunch of vegetables and some stew meat and it can last you for 6-8 meals.

Takes 2 hours or so...

That's probably the most economical and efficient way to tackle it, although it does get repetitive.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
Not consciously,

Every once in a while make a conscious effort to breath out of your mouth to keep the jaw moving. Just like anything if you tighten it up for a long period of time, it will cramp up. That would be my first/simple guess at what is going on.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 07:05 AM)
Find the time. Boiled chicken tastes like s***. There are so many healthy, low fat, not to mention very tasty meals you can be eating, none of which contain any sort of boiled meat. You're finding the time to work out and exercise, find the time to cook right, too...boiled chicken. Yuck. I'd rather just eat "normal" high fat meals if that was the only "diet" alternative available.

The chicken is usually added in with a ton of other things so I don't even taste it, it's just kind of there. Not ideal, but it works for a college student.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Another suggestion is making homemade soup....you can make a big pot of it with a bunch of vegetables and some stew meat and it can last you for 6-8 meals.

Takes 2 hours or so...

That's probably the most economical and efficient way to tackle it, although it does get repetitive.

Yea I may look into this more, I'm actually a pretty good cook as long as I have the time to mess around. Just gets tough balancing work/school/college life all while trying to workout more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
The chicken is usually added in with a ton of other things so I don't even taste it, it's just kind of there. Not ideal, but it works for a college student.

Yea I may look into this more, I'm actually a pretty good cook as long as I have the time to mess around. Just gets tough balancing work/school/college life all while trying to workout more.

I find it hard to believe you don't have time to cook/eat in a way more proper than boiling chicken and freezing it for a weeks supply at a time. :P

I was in college at one time, taking 18-24 credit hours per tri-mester, while working 25 hours a week at an Internet company...and I found time to cook, not to mention a lot of other things...

I have an idea...spend less time here and you'll have time to cook properly. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
I find it hard to believe you don't have time to cook/eat in a way more proper than boiling chicken and freezing it for a weeks supply at a time. :P

I was in college at one time, taking 18-24 credit hours per tri-mester, while working 25 hours a week at an Internet company...and I found time to cook, not to mention a lot of other things...

I have an idea...spend less time here and you'll have time to cook properly. ;)

Are you trying to get me to go away :crying

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
Are you trying to get me to go away :crying

No, trying to wake you up so you get off that disgusting sounding diet...boiled chicken...yuck.

I'd sooner just stop eating meat if I was forced to eat that, there are easier high protein alternatives like Tofu that you can make taste like other things versus a tasteless piece of boiled meat. :/

The issue is I don't see it as a sustainable diet...it just comes across as the exact type of diet you'll get away from the second you can because it's tasteless and boring, and more often than not, when people do move away from "meh" tasting diets, they crash into unhealthy eating territory.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
No, trying to wake you up so you get off that disgusting sounding diet...boiled chicken...yuck.

I'd sooner just stop eating meat if I was forced to eat that, there are easier high protein alternatives like Tofu that you can make taste like other things versus a tasteless piece of boiled meat. :/

The issue is I don't see it as a sustainable diet...it just comes across as the exact type of diet you'll get away from the second you can because it's tasteless and boring, and more often than not, when people do move away from "meh" tasting diets, they crash into unhealthy eating territory.

My reply was all joke, and trust me this is not something I want to continue for the rest of my life. This much stricter diet is for me to get in better shape before I work fulltime this summer. After that, I will be incorporating more types of healthy eating as I'll be living at home for at least a few months so it's easier to cook/store food there than at a campus apartment living with 3 other guys.

I actually really do like the rice/egg/chicken combo with the mix of sauce or seasonings on it, very filling and you can season it to your own taste.

I may look into tofu. Like I said, I like these meals but yes they become tiresome, so any alternatives that offer similar nutritional value and a different taste are more than welcome.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
It's amazing how working out makes you feel, I haven't worked out this much in a longgg time but I feel so much better and I sleep much better too.

Ditto. I feel more energized and motivated throughout the day and I sleep better. I've also noticed (and this may be a coincidence) but I'm remembering my dreams WAY more now than I was in the past.

Weighed in at 217.5 this morning after I woke up. That's a 22.5 lb loss in about 3 1/2 months, down from 240. I'm quite happy with that, especially considering the muscle I've gained and definition I'm seeing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
Ditto. I feel more energized and motivated throughout the day and I sleep better. I've also noticed (and this may be a coincidence) but I'm remembering my dreams WAY more now than I was in the past.

Weighed in at 217.5 this morning after I woke up. That's a 22.5 lb loss in about 3 1/2 months, down from 240. I'm quite happy with that, especially considering the muscle I've gained and definition I'm seeing.

Impressive! Keep that up man!

I tried Quinoa for the first time today, had it along side some scrambled eggs and some turkey italian sausage. Pretty good stuff, and the nutrition in that stuff is pretty amazing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
It's amazing how working out makes you feel, I haven't worked out this much in a longgg time but I feel so much better and I sleep much better too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)

Many types of exercise are surmised to encourage better GH release, which would result in deeper sleep/more dreaming

Edited by Jake

my diets been sooooooo boring this whole 1st month I've been doing p90x.

Either Shakeology or Fruits, yogurt, and half a cup of raisin bran crunch all mixed together for breakfast

If I dont have my shake for breakfast then I'll have it post workout, if I do have it for breakfast ill have celery and PB post workout

lunch has been either a salad, with loads of cucumbers celery and carrots or peanut butter and banana wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.

Dinner may vary depending on what the fams eating for dinner, if theyre eating something somewhat healthy ill have that, if not its been either fish or chicken tacos (lettuce, avocado, hot sauce) with steamed brocoli and carrots or a veggie burger...orrrrr my new favorite, mayoless chicken elotes, half a can of corn, some chicken, some chili powder, some hot sauce, and a lil parmasean cheese....delightful

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
my diets been sooooooo boring this whole 1st month I've been doing p90x.

Either Shakeology or Fruits, yogurt, and half a cup of raisin bran crunch all mixed together for breakfast

If I dont have my shake for breakfast then I'll have it post workout, if I do have it for breakfast ill have celery and PB post workout

lunch has been either a salad, with loads of cucumbers celery and carrots or peanut butter and banana wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.

Dinner may vary depending on what the fams eating for dinner, if theyre eating something somewhat healthy ill have that, if not its been either fish or chicken tacos (lettuce, avocado, hot sauce) with steamed brocoli and carrots or a veggie burger...orrrrr my new favorite, mayoless chicken elotes, half a can of corn, some chicken, some chili powder, some hot sauce, and a lil parmasean cheese....delightful

No recovery drink? and dude... you need to be eating protein, not eating nothing. cucumbers, celery and carrots are doing nothing good for you....

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
No recovery drink? and dude... you need to be eating protein, not eating nothing. cucumbers, celery and carrots are doing nothing good for you....

Yea that's good filler food around protein, but by itself you won't be able to gain any muscle from all the workouts.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
I ate dinner at Fogo de Chao tonight. That'll set me back a few days.

Today's my fantasy baseball draft day, my workout day off, and my 1 day a month i get to eat cheese. BIG MUTHAf***IN' PIZZA DAY!