*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
No recovery drink? and dude... you need to be eating protein, not eating nothing. cucumbers, celery and carrots are doing nothing good for you....

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Yea that's good filler food around protein, but by itself you won't be able to gain any muscle from all the workouts.

I started p90x at 305 with boat loads of muscle underneath all the fat, I take my chocolate shakeologoy after the workouts that involve the bands..thats 25grams right there, then the scoop of PB i put in the shake as well, and then the fish or chicken for dinner...I know thats not a lot but im more focused on losing weight over gaining muscle which I already have hidden under this now 280 pound frame....

Also being a independent beachbody coach isnt going exactly how I thought it would be so until I find an actual job (or find a couple coaches to coach under me) Im gonna have to make due with what ive got.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
I started p90x at 305 with boat loads of muscle underneath all the fat, I take my chocolate shakeologoy after the workouts that involve the bands..thats 25grams right there, then the scoop of PB i put in the shake as well, and then the fish or chicken for dinner...I know thats not a lot but im more focused on losing weight over gaining muscle which I already have hidden under this now 280 pound frame....

Also being a independent beachbody coach isnt going exactly how I thought it would be so until I find an actual job (or find a couple coaches to coach under me) Im gonna have to make due with what ive got.

this is why it's not going well, you need to be knowledgeable about health, fitness and the product: a HIGH PROTEIN diet sheds weight. If you don't have a lot of protein coming in, it has to be carbs, so you're not going to lose as much weight as you would have if you were going 50:30:20 Protein:Carb:Fat ratio. You've done well for yourself, but you could be doing even better.

Wow...started the third and final phase of P90X2 today...was called PAP Lower, which apparently stands for Post Activation Potentiation. Basically, it combines a strength movement, such as a split squat with weights, and then follow that up with a power movement, such as a jump squat. Apparently the strength movement "wakes-up" neurons in your muscles and gives you better performance and more output on your power movement.

Very strenuous workout. The first day of the week is the legs portion (lower) and the second day is the upper body (upper).

Then you get a day of yoga, then a day off, then repeat the lower and upper again.

I'll be interested to see how I feel in the morning.

I honestly believe most issues people have with workout programs like P90X (or a lesser extent Insanity) is how everyone ties together the nutritional guide with the workouts. When you're dividing your calories into certain percentages for protein, carbohydrate, and fats depending upon your progress in the program, you're consuming your life with what amounts to perfect nutrition. So when people are tired of putting together the ideal percentages the end result is: "well, everyone says I can't get the desired results without exactly following the nutrition guide, so whats the point of doing p90x?" Then they'll just quit and follow a Paleo Diet or some other fad.

Last September, before beginning P90x I followed the nutritional guide formula for determining your caloric level. At 170 pounds it recommended I eat 2400 calories. I jumped it up to 3,000 because that seemed too low. But even then, after completing the workouts and eating what was required I wasn't feeling right. I wasn't feeling full enough for my liking. After completing a round of P90x in January, I had dropped to 160. I'm not suggesting the results were bad, but I just thought to myself this wasn't how I wanted to live my life. For one, I was too thin at 6'2 -- but additionally, the whole making sure this serving equals 100 calories, this scoop of peanut butter is one tablespoon, was maddening. I hated it. It's almost like it changes your mind for the worse. You begin to obsess over it. I loved the workouts, even though Horton's voice had become muted a long time back. But the nutrition....that alone was making me regret another round. It was then I just decided, f*** it. I'm going to find a collection of healthy foods and eat however much I want. If I gain a few extra percentages of body fat, so be it.

Now I'm coming up on on three months post new diet phase. I feel better eating until I'm full and not stressing about how to divide carbs, fat, and protein throughout the day. If I had to guess, I'd say I easily take in over 4,000 calories a day. Although 4,000 calories in healthy eating terms is a TON of food. I doubt anyone here eats the amount of sweet potatoes that I do on a given day, haha. In this time, I've gained fifteen pounds and still remain at 10% body fat. I'm also very active with my job and playing sports, so there are additional factors to consider, but overall, I would have accepted gains in body fat.

My advice is not to ignore nutrition; but forget about the calorie breakdown. Follow the workout programs and concentrate on selecting healthy foods, all the while eating as much as you desire. Is your goal to be fit, healthy, and look good; or have a body with 5% fat and a lifestyle that fixates on every morsel of food? If you're overweight, as many are who follow these programs, you'll still lose weight if you continue working out everyday. It's difficult to have a high caloric surplus eating healthy unless you purposely try to, as I did.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I honestly believe most issues people have with workout programs like P90X (or a lesser extent Insanity) is how everyone ties together the nutritional guide with the workouts. When you're dividing your calories into certain percentages for protein, carbohydrate, and fats depending upon your progress in the program, you're consuming your life with what amounts to perfect nutrition. So when people are tired of putting together the ideal percentages the end result is: "well, everyone says I can't get the desired results without exactly following the nutrition guide, so whats the point of doing p90x?" Then they'll just quit and follow a Paleo Diet or some other fad.

Last September, before beginning P90x I followed the nutritional guide formula for determining your caloric level. At 170 pounds it recommended I eat 2400 calories. I jumped it up to 3,000 because that seemed too low. But even then, after completing the workouts and eating what was required I wasn't feeling right. I wasn't feeling full enough for my liking. After completing a round of P90x in January, I had dropped to 160. I'm not suggesting the results were bad, but I just thought to myself this wasn't how I wanted to live my life. For one, I was too thin at 6'2 -- but additionally, the whole making sure this serving equals 100 calories, this scoop of peanut butter is one tablespoon, was maddening. I hated it. It's almost like it changes your mind for the worse. You begin to obsess over it. I loved the workouts, even though Horton's voice had become muted a long time back. But the nutrition....that alone was making me regret another round. It was then I just decided, f*** it. I'm going to find a collection of healthy foods and eat however much I want. If I gain a few extra percentages of body fat, so be it.

Now I'm coming up on on three months post new diet phase. I feel better eating until I'm full and not stressing about how to divide carbs, fat, and protein throughout the day. If I had to guess, I'd say I easily take in over 4,000 calories a day. Although 4,000 calories in healthy eating terms is a TON of food. I doubt anyone here eats the amount of sweet potatoes that I do on a given day, haha. In this time, I've gained fifteen pounds and still remain at 10% body fat. I'm also very active with my job and playing sports, so there are additional factors to consider, but overall, I would have accepted gains in body fat.

My advice is not to ignore nutrition; but forget about the calorie breakdown. Follow the workout programs and concentrate on selecting healthy foods, all the while eating as much as you desire. Is your goal to be fit, healthy, and look good; or have a body with 5% fat and a lifestyle that fixates on every morsel of food? If you're overweight, as many are who follow these programs, you'll still lose weight if you continue working out everyday. It's difficult to have a high caloric surplus eating healthy unless you purposely try to, as I did.

Here here!

I agree...you'll never be happy obsessing over nutrition that way...you cannot maintain it in the long-term unless you are some kind of robot or social recluse that never leaves your house...in which case, what does it matter how good you look?

I believe in moderation in all things. I try to use common sense in formulating my diet; eat lots of fruits and vegetables, eat organic, eat good quality proteins, and allow myself some guilty pleasures every once in a while, whether that be putting away a six pack on a Saturday night, or having a sundae on the weekend.

As for fat percentages, or weight, I don't know, nor do I care to know. All I care about is how I feel and look. If I feel good, and I like how things are looking, I don't change much. If I feel I am slipping a bit too much, I try to get back on the wagon a bit.

Even going through P90X2 currently, I have modified the program to be more flexible for my needs. I feel like I am getting the benefits out of it without having to follow a schedule that is ultra rigid, and I've been very happy with it.

Moderation.

Something people love to say they believe in, without actually believing in it. Like saying life is short, or some other overused saying that sounds great to say.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Moderation.

Something people love to say they believe in, without actually believing in it. Like saying life is short, or some other overused saying that sounds great to say.

Haha yes. but Tizzle's completely right. If you were eating 3000 and were still hungry, it's because you were burning up to 1000 friggin calories doing the P90X workouts so your net was only 2000. Not enough to bulk up/gain weight/whatever you wanted. You should eat until you're full, but as long as you're eating healthy foods - you're completely right - you'll get good results without hating your life.

I will say, though, that eating a decent ratio is still important. if you're eating 4000 calories of carbs you're gonna get fat. if you're eating 4,000 calories of protein you're gonna die. It's not hard to eyeball the ratios though if you're eating a lean protein with every meal and going lighter on the carbs towards the end of the day.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Haha yes. but Tizzle's completely right. If you were eating 3000 and were still hungry, it's because you were burning up to 1000 friggin calories doing the P90X workouts so your net was only 2000. Not enough to bulk up/gain weight/whatever you wanted. You should eat until you're full, but as long as you're eating healthy foods - you're completely right - you'll get good results without hating your life.

I will say, though, that eating a decent ratio is still important. if you're eating 4000 calories of carbs you're gonna get fat. if you're eating 4,000 calories of protein you're gonna die. It's not hard to eyeball the ratios though if you're eating a lean protein with every meal and going lighter on the carbs towards the end of the day.

No, he's absolutely right. Moderation is key. But a lot of people say that without actually living it. I actually live it. I eat whatever I want, in moderation. I have no dietary restrictions, no "avoid X or Y or Z at all costs" while substituting a possibly dangerous chemical in it's place, (see: refusing to eat sugar, but totally ok with eating splenda), etc.

If you're going to drink soda...drink the real thing. No diet garbage. Fat, out of shape, obese people drink diet soda. All of them. Buck the trend...drink the corn syrup/sugar if you're going to do it...don't be a p****. :) Just don't drink 5 cans a day. Like I said: Moderation.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
No, he's absolutely right. Moderation is key. But a lot of people say that without actually living it. I actually live it. I eat whatever I want, in moderation. I have no dietary restrictions, no "avoid X or Y or Z at all costs" while substituting a possibly dangerous chemical in it's place, (see: refusing to eat sugar, but totally ok with eating splenda), etc.

If you're going to drink soda...drink the real thing. No diet garbage. Fat, out of shape, obese people drink diet soda. All of them. Buck the trend...drink the corn syrup/sugar if you're going to do it...don't be a p****. :) Just don't drink 5 cans a day. Like I said: Moderation.

Mexican Coke! I mean...Coca-Cola...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
I've probably had about 4 cans of pop since December. All with alcohol. Just a lifestyle change for me to cut out pop and fast food.

same here. i don't remember the last time i had SODA.

any of you guys take pre-workout supplements like noxplode, superpump 250, etc? trying to decide if it's worth it. I'm not big on putting chemicals in my body - but i'm skinny and trying to gain mass, and a pre-workout drink would probably help me lift harder...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
any of you guys take pre-workout supplements like noxplode, superpump 250, etc? trying to decide if it's worth it. I'm not big on putting chemicals in my body - but i'm skinny and trying to gain mass, and a pre-workout drink would probably help me lift harder...

Ask Rock

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)

Hell no. I dont need anything increasing my heart rate with chemicals.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
P.A.P.

Anyone else started P90X2 yet?

gimme 2 more months. :P

I'm actually working with Jason Scheff (in one of the X2 vids right? and did the music?) right now developing my Beachbody Coach biz. Yeah I'm doing it too. Thus my strong feelings about people who do it without knowing what they're talking about...