*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 17, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
lol remember when you were trying to give P90X advice?

Sorry brother, but P90X DOES work - I just had a bunch of clients finish Day 90 yesterday. Losses of 25, 35, 44 pounds. Amazing stuff. I put on almost 10 pounds of muscle myself.

If it got stale, the issue aint the DVDs, it's between the ears. :)

We get that you love P90X and you think it's the greatest program known to mankind, but seriously, stop trying to tell people they're stupid if they don't like it. Jeez.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
We get that you love P90X and you think it's the greatest program known to mankind, but seriously, stop trying to tell people they're stupid if they don't like it. Jeez.

haha fair enough.

i wouldn't say it's the greatest program known to man kind, but it is the best mix of accessibility and effectiveness on the market.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
P90X works, but not for what he's trying to do. There is no one size fits all workout, and for his specific goal, P90X is probably the worst workout he could attempt.

He wants to pack muscle. To pack muscle you hit the weights, and load up on heavy compound movements, mostly with barbells (not dumbbells). You could supplement this with a few P90X cardio workouts to drop some fat while building that muscle, but sticking with P90X when your goal is massive muscle gain is counter productive. P90X is clearly more cardio centric, which is why most people that use it lose weight and tone up, but don't pack on 30lbs of muscle.

he doesn't know what he's trying to do. he needs to lose the 40 pounds FIRST before he can bulk up.

Edited by Reddy

Gee thanks for all the info guys, I love that we have so many pros on here yet no one gave me a workout routine to follow, youre all great.

I know I need to shed weight, and that will come with the weight training.

I'm not some big blob over here at 292, like I said 2 years ago I went to an army recruiter at 315 and was only 2% body fat away from being able to join (I have a felony on my record so all hopes of that were crushed there). According to the military website thatd make my bf% 28% at 315, thats not tooooo bad....

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
Gee thanks for all the info guys, I love that we have so many pros on here yet no one gave me a workout routine to follow, youre all great.

I know I need to shed weight, and that will come with the weight training.

I'm not some big blob over here at 292, like I said 2 years ago I went to an army recruiter at 315 and was only 2% body fat away from being able to join (I have a felony on my record so all hopes of that were crushed there). According to the military website thatd make my bf% 28% at 315, thats not tooooo bad....

I would try and lean down until you are in the teens before trying to bulk back up but thats just me. 28% is technically obese.

So for routines are you looking for just stuff to do around the house or are you going to a gym/park?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
I would try and lean down until you are in the teens before trying to bulk back up but thats just me. 28% is technically obese.

So for routines are you looking for just stuff to do around the house or are you going to a gym/park?

around the house as im presently unemployed...as I stated before I have a bench, one 45 pound dumbbell, resistance cords(that I have recently added to the bench), a tractor tire, and a sledgehammer.

Basically I was wondering if i should do tire work on a day by its self or if I should do it on a lift day...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1...8_4534260_n.jpg this is me.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
A lot of that depends on genetics, but it also has to do with diet, as in not taking in much fat while performing your workouts and doing your cardio consistently.

I find cutting fat and building muscle very easy, and I'm not untrained, I don't have a considerable body fat percentage and I'm not on the sauce. It has never been hard for me.

I'll agree that some people are genetically gifted with the ability to gain lean or add on small amounts of muscle while in caloric deficit, but honestly you'd be hard pressed to find any research that documents this phenomenon

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
around the house as im presently unemployed...as I stated before I have a bench, one 45 pound dumbbell, resistance cords(that I have recently added to the bench), a tractor tire, and a sledgehammer.

Basically I was wondering if i should do tire work on a day by its self or if I should do it on a lift day...

My brain is too fried to come up with something specific to do workout-wise with your parameters, but I suggest you start tracking your foods. Sign up for something like myfitnesspal and I bet eating something like 3500 calories/day with a high-ish protein amount (200 grams or more, I know this may be hard on your budget -- chicken breast is your friend) will allow you to progress in your workouts while cutting some fat. I agree after looking at your pictures that you are leaner than your height and weight made me think. You've certainly been around a weight room before it looks like

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)

The tractor tire itself is going to be of great use.

I would start out with what I call "around the tire"

This is a 45 min workout (sets of 10 min on 2 off. you can start with 5 min if its killing you)

10 min on 2 min off

Do this circuit as many times as you can within the 10 min tire obviously laying on its side

Pushups (arms on tire at first if its hard and graduate to feet on tire) 20

Crunches (feet on tire) 20

Mountain climbers (both hands on tire shuffle feet up and back one at a time) 20 each leg

Tire dips (tricep dips) 20

Toe touches (stand there and touch your toe on top of tire alternating) 20 each foot

Start again

When 10 min is up we can move to another tire circuit, we will do each circuit twice for a roughly 45 min workout

"Tire flip and jump" grab tire, squat it up and flip the SOB. Jump into middle, then to other side then flip again. 10 times

One legged squats (one leg on tire in a lunge position) 10 each leg

Plank and reach (you can use the tire for your feet or not) Both feet on tire in a plank position put a cone or something just out of your reach and reach for it with one arm at a time. 20 count.

Should be 10 min or so, take a 2 min break and do both again. This would be a killer cardio/strength day with basically just using the tire and body weight.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
The tractor tire itself is going to be of great use.

I would start out with what I call "around the tire"

This is a 45 min workout (sets of 10 min on 2 off. you can start with 5 min if its killing you)

10 min on 2 min off

Do this circuit as many times as you can within the 10 min tire obviously laying on its side

Pushups (arms on tire at first if its hard and graduate to feet on tire) 20

Crunches (feet on tire) 20

Mountain climbers (both hands on tire shuffle feet up and back one at a time) 20 each leg

Tire dips (tricep dips) 20

Toe touches (stand there and touch your toe on top of tire alternating) 20 each foot

Start again

When 10 min is up we can move to another tire circuit, we will do each circuit twice for a roughly 45 min workout

"Tire flip and jump" grab tire, squat it up and flip the SOB. Jump into middle, then to other side then flip again. 10 times

One legged squats (one leg on tire in a lunge position) 10 each leg

Plank and reach (you can use the tire for your feet or not) Both feet on tire in a plank position put a cone or something just out of your reach and reach for it with one arm at a time. 20 count.

Should be 10 min or so, take a 2 min break and do both again. This would be a killer cardio/strength day with basically just using the tire and body weight.

That sounds like a plan man...where can I fit in some sledgehammer work?? Last summer I would just flip from one side of the yard to the other, one side has a tree i prop it up on to swing across the body, and the other side I swung over the top..Oh and right now I have another solid tire wedged into the tractor tire for even more added weight so jumping in the middle wont happen. Really need to find a buddy with a truck so I can go grab another one....Jake right now I'd say I'm perhaps well below the 3500 cal mark you set but the protein intake is no where where it should be. Right now I'm in a single income 3 person household so a good high cal meal hasnt been seen since Ive been out of work...Raisin Bran, oatmeal, or eggs for breakfast...a sandwich, ramen, or leftovers for lunch...A lot of chicken based dinners, or slow cooked meat that will last us 2 days.....My metabolism is for s***

EDIT: this seems like an appropriate place to ask....Does anyone here have a bike collecting dust in there garage I can take off their hands?? If need be I can throw you 25 bucks (my 25th bdays coming up so i get some $$)...or I have a 400 dollar trek that needs 150 dollars worth of work to it, Ill trade you....It never hurts to ask

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
That sounds like a plan man...where can I fit in some sledgehammer work?? Last summer I would just flip from one side of the yard to the other, one side has a tree i prop it up on to swing across the body, and the other side I swung over the top..Oh and right now I have another solid tire wedged into the tractor tire for even more added weight so jumping in the middle wont happen. Really need to find a buddy with a truck so I can go grab another one....Jake right now I'd say I'm perhaps well below the 3500 cal mark you set but the protein intake is no where where it should be. Right now I'm in a single income 3 person household so a good high cal meal hasnt been seen since Ive been out of work...Raisin Bran, oatmeal, or eggs for breakfast...a sandwich, ramen, or leftovers for lunch...A lot of chicken based dinners, or slow cooked meat that will last us 2 days.....My metabolism is for s***

You can switch out some of the jumping for some overhand sledge work, say 10 swings right handed and 10 lefthanded.

Eggs are your friend for cheap protein, add 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg to a meal for an additional 25 grams of protein for pretty damn cheep. I buy 2.5 dz eggs every week or so, I eat a lot of scrambled eggs/egg whites mixed in foods.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Just mowed the lawn in a trash bag and hoody with my gut covered in hemroid cream and wrapped in plastic wrap...Sweats even drenched my shorts, looks like i wet myself....legit way to lose some lbs???

No. Incredibly dangerous and temporary.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Just mowed the lawn in a trash bag and hoody with my gut covered in hemroid cream and wrapped in plastic wrap...Sweats even drenched my shorts, looks like i wet myself....legit way to lose some lbs???

Read that back to yourself. Does it sound legit?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Just mowed the lawn in a trash bag and hoody with my gut covered in hemroid cream and wrapped in plastic wrap...Sweats even drenched my shorts, looks like i wet myself....legit way to lose some lbs??? or dumb as hell

Sweating your ass off will make you weigh less, but it will be fleeting and has rapidly diminishing returns. You have no need to shed that water weight.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Read that back to yourself. Does it sound legit?

trash bags the same concept as a sauna suit...and the hemroid thing I learned when i went to a recruiters office and didnt make weight..

Also drank half a gallon of water...at the very least it flushed some toxins out??

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
trash bags the same concept as a sauna suit...and the hemroid thing I learned when i went to a recruiters office and didnt make weight..

Also drank half a gallon of water...at the very least it flushed some toxins out??

Um no.

Seriously, it could kill you.

You're overheating your body for no reason. You're only losing water weight and not really burning off any fat. I don't recommend doing that again in the future. You're not a boxer trying to make weight for a fight.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
You're overheating your body for no reason. You're only losing water weight and not really burning off any fat. I don't recommend doing that again in the future. You're not a boxer trying to make weight for a fight.

This. What you're doing DOES lower weight, but not in any functional way. You'll gain it back shortly after you stop rubbing preparation H all over yourself. You're trying to lower FAT here, not WEIGHT. Dropping water weight is temporary, anti-performance, and dangerous.