*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
A lot of this, as you alluded too in your post, comes from knowing your own body, how it reacts, to what, and how much, and what you can/can't get away with in terms of diet.

By and large, if people followed my diet, they'd probably get fat. While I'm pretty balanced, and try to eat healthy, I'm also a junker in that there is nothing off limits to me, on any day of the week. I'll usually eat ice cream 3-4 days a week, drink beer, etc. But so long as I'm active, it seems to counteract any of these "habits", and now that I've been playing rat hockey for 3+ hours every Saturday, not to mention practicing during the week (in addition to going to the gym), I've gotten to the point that I really don't care what I'm eating anymore.

My advice, first and foremost, even before diet -- is be active. If you're already active, be more active. ;) After you're doing that, THEN worry about diet. Some of the most out of shape people I know eat 50x better than me, and the lesson is, both matter.

Also...there is this.

Avoid diet drinks and fake sugars at all costs. If you're going to eat things like candy, ice cream, etc...do it right, and do it real. These chemical compounds that form fake sugars screw your your bodies ability to regulate REAL sugars, they mess with your insulin production, etc...always remember, fat people drink diet. ;)

Couldn't agree more! It's amazing what your body can deal with in terms of fuel if you just exercise! I'm pretty similar to Y2H...I eat a salad for lunch almost every weekday. I usually eat a pretty healthy dinner too. But I also may drink a beer or two, eat some fritos or some sour gummy bears, or head down the street to get some frozen custard. On the weekends, I will usually eat out one night, eat some more crap during the days, etc. But the key is, I workout pretty hard 3 times a week for an hour a day and I may play basketball or football with guys from work on Saturday mornings for a few hours. I eat well for lunch most days, including getting a ton of fruits and vegetables. I also try not to drink more than one or two beers during the weekdays and I don't drink soda or sugary fruit drinks.

Now I'm not fit like Jason Stackhouse in True Blood, but I am pretty fit. And I do it while keeping my sanity.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found being active makes me feel more accountable to my diet. You feel like you don't want to "waste" a workout by eating like s***. On the flip side, calorie destructing workouts allow you a bit more leeway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
I've found being active makes me feel more accountable to my diet. You feel like you don't want to "waste" a workout by eating like s***. On the flip side, calorie destructing workouts allow you a bit more leeway.

That is true as well

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so for full disclosure I recently decided to take the advice of Reddy (yes, you read that right), and throw some Yoga into my weekly routines and I'm happy to report how wrong I was in my attitude toward Yoga. I've been doing this for just about a month now.

Now, while I'd still never do this in public, or take such a class, I will say it's invigorating and obviously increases flexibility. I still do my weightlifting routines, but this was an excellent supplement to my workouts.

I can't make it look like everything Reddy says or recommends is bad. ;) Even though he is a modern day hippy.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
Ok, so for full disclosure I recently decided to take the advice of Reddy (yes, you read that right), and throw some Yoga into my weekly routines and I'm happy to report how wrong I was in my attitude toward Yoga. I've been doing this for just about a month now.

Now, while I'd still never do this in public, or take such a class, I will say it's invigorating and obviously increases flexibility. I still do my weightlifting routines, but this was an excellent supplement to my workouts.

I can't make it look like everything Reddy says or recommends is bad. ;) Even though he is a modern day hippy.

:wub:

• 4 weeks later...

It took forever and a day, but there is finally a gym in my neighborhood. It sucks that it's a Planet Fitness, but it's cheap and it has all the equipment I want. Now that I'm back in Chicago, I have two different gyms which are very conveniently close no matter where I'm staying.

In other news, the only workout supplement I am currently taking is regular whey protein shakes after a workout, but I want to implement something pre-workout. I normally have a big glass of iced coffee before hand to give ma bit of a caffeine boost, but do any of you use/suggest a pre-workout drink? I've used Assault by MusclePharm before and I liked that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:30 AM)
It took forever and a day, but there is finally a gym in my neighborhood. It sucks that it's a Planet Fitness, but it's cheap and it has all the equipment I want. Now that I'm back in Chicago, I have two different gyms which are very conveniently close no matter where I'm staying.

In other news, the only workout supplement I am currently taking is regular whey protein shakes after a workout, but I want to implement something pre-workout. I normally have a big glass of iced coffee before hand to give ma bit of a caffeine boost, but do any of you use/suggest a pre-workout drink? I've used Assault by MusclePharm before and I liked that.

Highlighted...

Why, and why?

I'm asking this in a serious fashion, too. People tend to get suckered into all of these supplements and diet ideas, when most of it's not necessary. But first, I'd need to know more about you, your lifestyle, your body type, how much you eat, what you eat, etc. I realize this is a lot of questions, but in order to answer what you asked, the person answering needs to know a LOT of information, otherwise, all they'll be doing is telling you what works for them, which will undoubtedly NOT work for you.

To the first bolded text, how much natural protein are you ingesting with your normal diet? Are you a vegetarian? If you're already eating meat/eggs/dairy multiple times per day, odds are you don't need ANY protein supplement unless you're a 250 pound bodybuilder with an over the top hollywood physique. Are you trying to drop body fat? That's fine to use protein powders in order to get fat free/carb free protein, otherwise ... why?

Second, see the first. Why? Are your goals to blow up and get bodybuilder huge? I suggest eating a banana pre-workout, maybe a little coffee, but preferably just water, and not much else. Most of this is gimmick that's designed to empty your pockets, and serves as more of a placebo on your workout than anything else. Unless you're getting to the gym, dog tired and unable to do anything, why do you need all of these pre-workout artificial boosts? And IF that is the case, maybe you should ask yourself why you're lethargic in the first place, as you may have other issues. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Highlighted...

Why, and why?

I'm asking this in a serious fashion, too. People tend to get suckered into all of these supplements and diet ideas, when most of it's not necessary. But first, I'd need to know more about you, your lifestyle, your body type, how much you eat, what you eat, etc. I realize this is a lot of questions, but in order to answer what you asked, the person answering needs to know a LOT of information, otherwise, all they'll be doing is telling you what works for them, which will undoubtedly NOT work for you.

To the first bolded text, how much natural protein are you ingesting with your normal diet? Are you a vegetarian? If you're already eating meat/eggs/dairy multiple times per day, odds are you don't need ANY protein supplement unless you're a 250 pound bodybuilder with an over the top hollywood physique. Are you trying to drop body fat? That's fine to use protein powders in order to get fat free/carb free protein, otherwise ... why?

Second, see the first. Why? Are your goals to blow up and get bodybuilder huge? I suggest eating a banana pre-workout, maybe a little coffee, but preferably just water, and not much else. Most of this is gimmick that's designed to empty your pockets, and serves as more of a placebo on your workout than anything else. Unless you're getting to the gym, dog tired and unable to do anything, why do you need all of these pre-workout artificial boosts? And IF that is the case, maybe you should ask yourself why you're lethargic in the first place, as you may have other issues. ;)

^^

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
the whole "protein shake after a workout" thing is the most useless and wide-spread fad in fitness

The only time is's actually useful is if a person has a very strict, nearly protein free diet, which is very very rare, and usually means vegetarian or vegan, and even then, they tend to eat a LOT of soy based proteins.

We've had this discussion before, but most people eat way too much protein, and I used to be one of them. I had whey powder, egg powder, and soy, and would mix them in every protein drink I made. All it did was make me poorer. :)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
the whole "protein shake after a workout" thing is the most useless and wide-spread fad in fitness

You think?

I dunno...I see noticeable differences when drinking them versus not drinking them, when on my workout program. Now I am not certain as to whether the exact timing is that important, but I do definitely add a little bulk easier when I drink them.

As for the timing, I thought drinking them within an hour or so after a workout was the best time because the body can utilize it better that way because of like, science and stuff...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
You think?

I dunno...I see noticeable differences when drinking them versus not drinking them, when on my workout program. Now I am not certain as to whether the exact timing is that important, but I do definitely add a little bulk easier when I drink them.

As for the timing, I thought drinking them within an hour or so after a workout was the best time because the body can utilize it better that way because of like, science and stuff...;)

After workouts your body needs carbs, not protein.

Also, it will make a difference if you aren't already getting enough protein elsewhere.

I probably eat upwards of 100 grams of protein with my normal diet every single day, so supplementing more won't do anything.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
Highlighted...

Why, and why?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
^^

Well, to answer your numerous questions: I'm 6'6, 207 at this very moment (age 24). I was about 250 pounds (not much was muscle) about two years ago and decided to get my life back in order after college. My first goal was to get back to 199 pounds (which I was at my senior year of high school when I was playing baseball) and I achieved that this March. I realized that I had dropped my body fat% down a ton but I had become very lanky (easy to do at 6'6). My goal right now is to get to about 215 and maintain that weight. Still want to drop my body fat % but put on some muscle to fill out my frame. I am NOT a vegetarian (because that's silly nonsense). I eat eggs or chicken at least once a day, plus other meats, so I do get a fair amount of protein but I want to bulk up and my metabolism is relatively high. My caloric intake is probably not what is should considering I work out 5-6 times a week and I'm a big guy as it is.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Well, to answer your numerous questions: I'm 6'6, 207 at this very moment (age 24). I was about 250 pounds (not much was muscle) about two years ago and decided to get my life back in order after college. My first goal was to get back to 199 pounds (which I was at my senior year of high school when I was playing baseball) and I achieved that this March. I realized that I had dropped my body fat% down a ton but I had become very lanky (easy to do at 6'6). My goal right now is to get to about 215 and maintain that weight. Still want to drop my body fat % but put on some muscle to fill out my frame. I am NOT a vegetarian (because that's silly nonsense). I eat eggs or chicken at least once a day, plus other meats, so I do get a fair amount of protein but I want to bulk up and my metabolism is relatively high. My caloric intake is probably not what is should considering I work out 5-6 times a week and I'm a big guy as it is.

A big part of this is what kind of body style do you have...and you sound like an ectomorph. I wish I could tell you this is going to be easy, but it's not. To put on muscle, you're going to need to start lifting massive weight in compound fashion, IE, lots of lifts that use BARbells (NOT dumbbells). Then, so long as you're eating about 0.70 grams of protein per body pound, you should be getting more than enough protein. For most people, I'd tell .60, but with that bodytype, I'm going to go ahead and say you might need a bit more.

Oh, and wide arm pullups are your friend, they are what will assist you in gaining that \/ shape.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
A big part of this is what kind of body style do you have...and you sound like an ectomorph. I wish I could tell you this is going to be easy, but it's not. To put on muscle, you're going to need to start lifting massive weight in compound fashion, IE, lots of lifts that use BARbells (NOT dumbbells). Then, so long as you're eating about 0.70 grams of protein per body pound, you should be getting more than enough protein. For most people, I'd tell .60, but with that bodytype, I'm going to go ahead and say you might need a bit more.

Oh, and wide arm pullups are your friend, they are what will assist you in gaining that \/ shape.

See, that's the thing. I'm not really sure I am an ectomorph. It's not impossibly hard for me to put on muscle, and I have pretty good definition. I think the lankiness is primarily due to my height. And in general, my workouts for so long haven't been geared to building muscle, but more towards general strength and improved conditioning. The only real area I've really struggled to get bigger is in my shoulders.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
See, that's the thing. I'm not really sure I am an ectomorph. It's not impossibly hard for me to put on muscle, and I have pretty good definition. I think the lankiness is primarily due to my height. And in general, my workouts for so long haven't been geared to building muscle, but more towards general strength and improved conditioning. The only real area I've really struggled to get bigger is in my shoulders.

Do you consider yourself a meso, or somewhere between an ecto/meso? Either way, consider it a blessing, it'll be easier to pack on muscle.

If your shoulders are a particular problem area, I'd start by dedicating one day a week specifically to your shoulders. On that day, your focus is your shoulders, and ONLY your shoulders. Utilization compound movements to bulk them out, followed up by some isolation exercises. I'd start off with barbell military presses, and follow those up with some arnold presses before moving on to trap exercises and isolation exercises to target the individual muscles in your shoulder. Your shoulders are important, as they're what will give you that bulked up look, moreso than anything else.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
After workouts your body needs carbs, not protein.

Also, it will make a difference if you aren't already getting enough protein elsewhere.

I probably eat upwards of 100 grams of protein with my normal diet every single day, so supplementing more won't do anything.

Alot of those shakes have recovery carbs as well.