Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"This has been a tough winter, but I've been out there almost everyday throwing." #JakePeavy #WhiteSox - Scott Reifert

Peavy realizes that if he can start and Chris Sale is in the bullpen "it makes us a better team." - Chuck Garfien

Gonzales also mentions biggest change is warmup/getting loose before mound takes him 30 min

Peavy: "I got a ton of motivation to get back on the field."

120-foot long toss before 40-pitch session consisting of fastballs and changeups but notices arm isn't as strong yet.

Feels "normal soreness,'' no discomfort in latissimus dorsi muscle that was detached and repaired.

said 3-0 record with CWS in 2009 was misleading. "It wasn't me,'' referring to bad habits after ankle injury.

## all from Gonzo##

Edited by justBLAZE

I've always been optimistic that he'll be back sooner than projected, and won't be shocked if he's ready in April. Just a feeling I have, but he seems to be cut from kind of the same cloth as Contreras in that way. I hope they can keep him reined in and not let him rush himself back.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
This news is quite encouraging. I'd be very surprised if he's ready for opening day, but it definitely sounds like he'll be on the mound well before June.

He will be ready to go in May. He will stay for extended spring training to help build arm strength, make a couple AAA rehab starts and then will be back.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
I am confident we will see him early this year, but not so about his ability to be very good again. As is, last year he was ok granted coming on strong before he got injured. I still can't see anything better than a 4.00 ERA based on last year's struggles and the injury.

I just cant see how his velocity will come back. There is no way his average fastball velocity will be 92-94 like it has been once gets back.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Based on the numerous other pitchers that have had their shoulder muscles detach from the bone. All of them had lost some velocity.

Those are different shoulder muscles and incomparable. We don't have a comparable for this one.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Based on the numerous other pitchers that have had their shoulder muscles detach from the bone. All of them had lost some velocity.

This is unlike any other injury we've seen from a pitcher before, no one has ANY idea what he's going to look like when he gets back. There's no precedent for this injury.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Those are different shoulder muscles and incomparable. We don't have a comparable for this one.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
This is unlike any other injury we've seen from a pitcher before, no one has ANY idea what he's going to look like when he gets back. There's no precedent for this injury.

Guess your sarcasm detectors need fine tuning.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I just cant see how his velocity will come back. There is no way his average fastball velocity will be 92-94 like it has been once gets back.

The lat muscle is a deceleration muscle as it relates to pitching. Peavy's is now completely attached again.

He'll be much stronger than before. Once it's properly conditioned, velocity will not be a problem.

I like Peavy's work ethic and it looks like he really wants to be ready for the start of the season. My big concern would be the cooler, or even downright cold weather that we can get in April. If he tries to pitch and can't get warm, wouldn't that cause the muscle to tighten and place undue stress on it? I wouldn't mind him waiting until the warmer weather comes just for that reason alone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
It's so frustrating to hear that some of the bad habits he picked up at the end of 2009 might have caused his slow start in 2010 and the injury he ended up suffering.

What caused his injury is his natural mechanics. When Peavy throws, after the release of the pitch his arm swings back upward instead of allowing inertia to carry it across his chest beneath him. (see the Mitch Williams analysis on the Sox webpage...)This results in his lat muscle taking most of the deceleration impact which is very dangerous and asking for trouble.

IMO, If Jake wants to recover and excel, he's gonna have to alter that follow-though and from what I know about Jake, he's not gonna want to do that. The best thing for Jake and the team is to work that into his mechanics NOW. That is the work Cooper was doing with him last year and he just didn't want to stay with it because he was ineffective out there.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
What caused his injury is his natural mechanics. When Peavy throws, after the release of the pitch his arm swings back upward instead of allowing inertia to carry it across his chest beneath him. (see the Mitch Williams analysis on the Sox webpage...)This results in his lat muscle taking most of the deceleration impact which is very dangerous and asking for trouble.

IMO, If Jake wants to recover and excel, he's gonna have to alter that follow-though and from what I know about Jake, he's not gonna want to do that. The best thing for Jake and the team is to work that into his mechanics NOW. That is the work Cooper was doing with him last year and he just didn't want to stay with it because he was ineffective out there.

Nice analysis, but that's the thing...just as important as Peavy's velocity is the torque on his slider. I don't even want to think about his first few starts last year where he was just rolling that thing towards the plate.

Here is the Whitesox.com article

Near the end of Jake Peavy's 30-minute conference call Tuesday to discuss his recovery status after undergoing season-ending surgery last July 14, a muffled voice came in with a message for the White Sox right-hander.

After Peavy tried but failed on two occasions to decipher what was being said, White Sox director of media relations Bob Beghtol informed Peavy it was manager Ozzie Guillen who had jumped on the call.

"You better be ready for Spring Training or I'm going to get fired," was the tongue-in-cheek sentiment expressed by Guillen.

"To answer that question right now in the best way, well, it's tough for me," said the 29-year-old Peavy on his thoughts of being part of the Opening Day starting rotation. "This winter has been a tough winter, a different winter, with no down time.

"Every day, I've been in rehab or going through my throwing program. I've pushed it as much as I can, while listening to my body not doing anything to jeopardize the chance to get me back.

"I want to come into camp and be ready for Opening Day like the other guys," Peavy said. "What we are going to do is have an MRI and let our doctors look at it and evaluate where we are from there."

That throwing program set up for Peavy began Nov. 1 and was completed in January. Peavy explained that input on the best recovery path came from White Sox head athletic trainer Herm Schneider, the doctors who performed the surgery and even other doctors not involved in the surgery. With no real prior recovery timetable set because of the scarcity of this injury, Peavy was open to all ideas.

Prior to his Tuesday media chat, Peavy threw a 40-pitch session off the mound featuring fastballs and changeups. It was preceded by long toss from up to 120 feet. The plan is for Peavy to throw off the mound again on Friday and then the Monday three days before White Sox pitchers and catchers report to Glendale, Ariz., on Feb. 17.

Going through the work off the mound, even at 60 or 70 percent, by Peavy's estimation, certainly has erased any doubts in Peavy's mind about letting loose without fear of an injury recurrence. Now, it's a matter of building up arm strength.

"It's taking longer than I would expect to get my arm strength back, but I don't think anybody's arm strength is there at this point," said Peavy, who had to find his arm slot again while working in November and December, instead of just easing back into throwing. "I hope Spring Training builds that up. Past that, I don't have any hesitation.

"By mid-March, I better have good arm strength. If I get to the end of camp and I can't throw the ball 90 mph, then it's time to worry."

Pain or soreness for Peavy has been limited to the normal level expected when any pitcher starts to prepare for Spring Training. But otherwise, Peavy seemed upbeat as always and on the right track to return.

Because of the injury, Peavy will spend more time stretching and getting loose before throwing off the mound. Peavy was previously much like Mark Buehrle, in that he could throw for 10 minutes and not be any looser than he was at that point.

Studying video also will be incorporated into Peavy's return, ensuring his mechanics are at the right place. Video work helped Peavy turn a miserable April in 2010 into an improved May and a 1.75 ERA in June, before suffering the injury during a contest against the Angels at U.S. Cellular Field on July 6.

In answer to his manager's Tuesday quip, Peavy told Guillen he was ready to go and talked about how he was "busting my rear" all offseason to get prepared for Spring Training. More will be known about Peavy's status after the MRI, but Peavy appears to viewing this upcoming Spring Training not very differently from his past 10 or so.

"He's adamant how he wants to be like everyone else and do what everyone else is doing," said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of Peavy. "He wants to be around everybody."

"I'll be the ring leader, trying to push and be ready as soon as possible," Peavy said. "Some of those guys will play devil's advocate, but hopefully we can find a happy medium that is not going to jeopardize anything or lead to a setback."