Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Is anybody else worried Jake, the gamer that he is, is going to get hurt very early this season?

I'd love to see him start ASAP, but this time shouldn't he take it really slowly?

Jake will be an injury risk from now until the end of his contract [not including the team option that I pray is NOT picked up].

I'd like to see the Sox try to rework Peavy's option year into a short extension should he have even a decent year this season. We already owe him guaranteed money, and his injury history could make him consider a deal that would be less per annum and fewer in years than he'd get on the open market. Also he has said he feels like he owes it to the team to be out there and performing, so maybe that could be a factor.

But I want to see something come of this deal. I don't lament losing any of the pieces we did, but I'd like some value back, especially with Jackson and MB becoming FAs and the big Danks decision looming.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
Jake will be an injury risk from now until the end of his contract [not including the team option that I pray is NOT picked up].

There are only two non-mutually exclusive ways I can see it being picked up are if Peavy has a Cy Young caliber season in 2012 or if the Sox are a total cash cow at that point. In all reality, it's really worth $18 million (even though the actual value is $22 million, the buyout is $4 million, so it will "only" add $18 million). That's still a hell of a lot of money.

PTATC; Thanks for all of the encouraging information. One question that I have though is how is the cool, or even cold weather in April or May going to effect this muscle?

[/quote)

there is no difference between this muscle and other muscles at this point,other than strength. so it a proper warmup that is a key. this is also an issue that the sox are going to address with him. he is a notorius poor warmup and cool down guy. He takes a minimal warmup and doesn't like to ice down or cool down. this could be a factor in this odd problem

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
PT = Physical Therapist

ATC = Certified Athletic Trainer

I don't know exactly why the acronym doesn't match the description with ATC, they probably didn't want to be CATs.

you are correct. the ATC comes from how the certification was attained . Back in the dark ages when I was getting my degrees there were not many degreed athetic trainer programs. you could get a degree in a related field (PT) and work under a current rainer for 2000 hours. There were also a group of 8 courses you needed to take. This group was known as athletic trainers, certified as opposed to athletic trainers who got a degre whowere AT..

Now you must go through a formal degree and those of us olld folks were grandfathered in and the compromise was everyone is known by the predominent category of ATC.

Those two were my first degrees and certifications so I use the intialss alot.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Baseball Tonight on ESPN is going to discuss Peavy in this episode, 6th item on the docket (so i assume around 2:45 CT).

I assume the discussion went something along the lines of "This is a weird injury, but he appears to be recovering well. IS THIS SOMEONE THE YANKEES WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ACQUIRING?"

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Our boy threw a 40 pitch BP session today and said he felt at about 75%.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/...g-practice.html

I'm gonna go ahead and add that at this stage most of the pitchers are at 75%, (from what I understood on twitter) so I guess he is right on track?

From this fan's perspective, the mechanics of Jake Peavy's delivery contributed to the severity of his injury. Will the injury, and his recovery, lead one to believe that Jake will have to learn to pitch differently, if he is to remain healthy and not re-injure himself? If so, one wonders how this would impact his overall pitching. Janice Gagerman, Chico, Calif.

So far, I haven't seen any significant changes in Jake's delivery. His left front arm extends straight out as he delivers a pitch. I haven't seen him recoil his arm after throwing a pitch. I'm certain the Sox's medical staff will continue to put him through a series of strength and range of motion exercises to ensure that he is not weak in any area or compensating for the lat muscle.

I remember Steve McCatty in the 1980s having to change his delivery after shoulder surgery, but he had to compensate after a different type of surgery. Keep in mind that general manager Ken Williams was told by the doctors that there would be a minor setback during the time of Peavy's recovery. We'll just have to see how much stronger Jake gets, the rate of his recovery now that he's on the mound, and what happens when he starts pitching in exhibition games.

Gonzalez mailbag.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Feb 19, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Merk says that Peavy is going to pitch in a game on March 4. I'm surprised they are giving him a game so early. I think that's pretty good news, though.

I agree. It's very surprising that he has a game schedule already. I just hope they are cautious with him, but if he's ready for the April 9th start, that would be great. That's when the Sox will need a 5th starter for the first time. I hope they give him that extra week, and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It'll either happen in a Sox uniform or a Charlotte uniform, so they might as well go for it.

Edited by flavum