Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
On the Score this morning, they were saying there's some concern he'll be pitching in the 86-88 mph range. I don't think anyone knows what to expect though, but I'm sure there will be overreactions (yours truly included) come early March after his first start.

No, that was just because some dude who used to pitch in the Brewers system called up and said that because Tommie Harris wasn't good after his leg separation, Peavy was definitely not going to have velocity on his fastball. The dude had no idea what he was talking about but for some reason the Score guys bought it. It's less than nothing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I'm extremely surprised he is cranking it up and spinning breaking balls this soon.

The shoulder mechanics for breaking pitches is no different than fastballs so that doesn't matter. The only thing he needs to work on is strengthening so letting him crank it up is the only way it's really going to happen. You can only do rubber band exercises so much before you need to throw. His injury was healed in November at the latest. He has been doing strengthening ever since.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Remember the injury is healed. There is no longer a problem with the attachment of the lat. It was re-attached and probably still has an anchor there. The only thing he needs to do is build strength. He is starting at a weaker point in the muscles than the other pitchers. So there is no surprise that he is going to pitch soon. In fact to continue to build strength in the muscle they may have him pitch more.

The glitch or expected problem that will happen is in strength and soreness from building the muscle not from the muscle re-attachment.

Ptac--

Is there a realistic chance that the re-attachment could come apart where, for lack of a better term, it has been "welded" back to the bone. I was under the impression that nobody is absolutely certain about that because we're kind of in unchartered waters. Or are you saying its akin to when a wound is healed with new skin and scar tissue; that once its "healed" there's no real risk it will rip open and bleed again where the separation had been?

Thanks

What's all this stuff about him "begging" the padre's pitching coaches to come look at his mechanics? Coop said he didn't have any mechanical issues brought on by his '09 ankle injury but Peavy says he did. Is there a riff? Can we say there is? (this s***'s getting boring)

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
What's all this stuff about him "begging" the padre's pitching coaches to come look at his mechanics? Coop said he didn't have any mechanical issues brought on by his '09 ankle injury but Peavy says he did. Is there a riff? Can we say there is? (this s***'s getting boring)

Nothin wrong with a second opinion.

Nobody's perfect, not even medical doctors.

It's all well and good Jake is coming back sooner than expected. But until I know that he can throw 93 MPH with his normal accuracy and hit spots with the breaking balls and change, I won't be expected anything but a average year. He is still coming off major major surgery, so I am still not convinced his entire repertoire will be back in force.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Ptac--

Is there a realistic chance that the re-attachment could come apart where, for lack of a better term, it has been "welded" back to the bone. I was under the impression that nobody is absolutely certain about that because we're kind of in unchartered waters. Or are you saying its akin to when a wound is healed with new skin and scar tissue; that once its "healed" there's no real risk it will rip open and bleed again where the separation had been?

Thanks

The reattachment will not come apart under normal stress. It was for the lack of a better term, tacked down and healed. It may still have the tack holding it down to the bone, depending on if they used a dissolvable one or not.

The injury is healed and there is no longer any concern about it coming apart. While I have never seen this in jury in a pitcher, I have seen it in other throwers such as a javelin thrower. These athletes put alot more stress on their shoulders than pitchers do. Their elbow is locked during the throw and all of the force goes through the shoulder. The repair did not come apart in these cases and it won't in Peavy's case.

However, back to Peavy, he just needs to v build the strength up in the lat for throwing. This is the unknown factor. As soon as he can throw with near normal velocity he will be fine. Then it will just come down to not dropping down as much to avoid the odd stresses on his shoulder.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
Nothin wrong with a second opinion.

Nobody's perfect, not even medical doctors.

Especially not them! There is a reason it's referred to as the practice of medicine and not the science of medicine.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
The reattachment will not come apart under normal stress. It was for the lack of a better term, tacked down and healed. It may still have the tack holding it down to the bone, depending on if they used a dissolvable one or not.

The injury is healed and there is no longer any concern about it coming apart. While I have never seen this in jury in a pitcher, I have seen it in other throwers such as a javelin thrower. These athletes put alot more stress on their shoulders than pitchers do. Their elbow is locked during the throw and all of the force goes through the shoulder. The repair did not come apart in these cases and it won't in Peavy's case.

However, back to Peavy, he just needs to v build the strength up in the lat for throwing. This is the unknown factor. As soon as he can throw with near normal velocity he will be fine. Then it will just come down to not dropping down as much to avoid the odd stresses on his shoulder.

Thank you

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I'm not that worried about the fastball. Jenks did this thing every year where he came to camp throwing at like 91. By the end of the spring he was fine.

I don't think you can use that as an argument. I think Peavy will recover, but Jenks was just fat, Peavy is coming back from an injury no pitcher has ever suffered.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
OK I'm no expert so this is more of a question, but: does now Peavy become more of a "control" pitcher picking his spots (think: Maddox, or Buehrle) instead of trying to blow away batters with heat?

I pray that he doesn't have to rely on that. The results were terrible last season when he was struggling with his velocity.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
OK I'm no expert so this is more of a question, but: does now Peavy become more of a "control" pitcher picking his spots (think: Maddox, or Buehrle) instead of trying to blow away batters with heat?

I don't see him doing that unless his stuff doesn't come back. If he's never the same and loses several MPH on his FB and his slider flattens out, then sure we might see him change his style, but right now is too soon to think that he will.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)

That's a legitimate question. Nobody knows what the hell Peavy we're going to get.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)

Peavy will regain his previous strength and his fastball will be the same as it was prior to the injury. There is nothing wrong with the muscle it just needs to be strengthened. how long that takes is the question. I still think he will be ready for the beginning of the season or soon thereafter. As stated before, can he be effective without his tendency to drop down is the key. Physically he will be unchanged.