Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
I've said it before... normally if the White Sox acquired an overpaid, oft-injured guy who couldn't stay on the field his first 1.5 seasons as we barely miss the playoffs, well, I'd grow to dislike him a tad.

I f*cking love Jake Peavy. I love his honesty, I love his will to compete, and I hope he can stay healthy and show again that he is definitely a world-class pitcher.

I don't recall any member of the White Sox ever having this desire or motivation to win. For years and years we always talked about how the Sox lacked that killer instinct, but Peavy seems to bring that extra "it."

If he is healthy all year, the White Sox are going to win a lot of games.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
I think Jake is coming north unless the weather has something to say about it.

Sure looks that way. If he's throwing 80+ pitches with decent velocity and no discomfort, then we gain nothing by leaving him behind.

"The way he performed, yes; I don't see why not," Guillen said about Peavy's making the roster. "Obviously he has [two more] starts left. We'll see how he feels, but right now he has made progress to be on the ballclub. If everything goes the way it has gone so far I'm having him on the ballclub."

After his 83-pitch outing was over, Peavy barely had any energy remaining. He said he is still having trouble keeping down solid foods and planned on sleeping 10-12 hours.

"I felt OK," he said, staying seated at his locker instead of standing up as he usually does. "It was about what I expected. I just didn't try to do too much. I tried to get my work in, tried to stay on schedule. I've certainly had my better days, but we got through it. I was just changing speeds a little bit and got some balls hit at people."

His 5 2/3-inning outing was his longest during a spring training in which he is pulling double duty by not only preparing for the start of the season but also rehabbing from surgery last summer to reattach his latissimus dorsi muscle. He gave up three runs on seven hits, without a walk, but that wasn't the point. His goal was to stay on track to start the season on time and he did that by increasing his pitch total by 16 from his last start.

"Obviously, you don't want to go into any start feeling like that, but at times the situation calls for it," Peavy said. "I certainly did all I could do to feel as good as we could today. We had some great help from the trainers, getting fluids, and it was just good to go out there and be able to stay on track.

"It's obviously what I wanted to do. We had some discussion about it. Today was about what I expected it was going to be."

The outing was not without his concerns. Peavy himself said that trainer Herm Schneider suggested he delay the outing and Guillen said Friday night that it wasn't his first choice to have his veteran pitch.

Not only that, but Peavy admitted before the game that his shoulder was achy, something he attributed to just being achy in general throughout his body from his illness.

"I know people think your shoulder should feel great because you haven't thrown [since July], but when you don't use something, your whole body is kind of achy," Peavy said. "My shoulder was like that today. We'll see how it feels tomorrow and the next few days. I want to pitch and be ready for that fifth start in Kansas City and we'll see if that plays out. Certainly that's my goal right now.

Link