Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Peavy will regain his previous strength and his fastball will be the same as it was prior to the injury. There is nothing wrong with the muscle it just needs to be strengthened. how long that takes is the question. I still think he will be ready for the beginning of the season or soon thereafter. As stated before, can he be effective without his tendency to drop down is the key. Physically he will be unchanged.

I gotta say: since July of last year all I've been hearing from the pundits of sports talk is that Jake Peavy won't be ready until midseason (if ever - B&B) and yet you've said since the very beginning it seems that Peavy could -- or will -- be ready by around the beginning of the season and as of right now it looks like you're right on. If he stays on schedule, this is a great call on your part. I guess actual expertise wins out over idol speculation.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
I gotta say: since July of last year all I've been hearing from the pundits of sports talk is that Jake Peavy won't be ready until midseason (if ever - B&B) and yet you've said since the very beginning it seems that Peavy could -- or will -- be ready by around the beginning of the season and as of right now it looks like you're right on. If he stays on schedule, this is a great call on your part. I guess actual expertise wins out over idol speculation.

I think it's funny how everyone everywhere keeps talking how this is "unprecedented" and therefore nobody thinks Jake will be ready nor should he be ready anytime soon. Well, if it's "unprecedented" than why is it so impossible that he couldn't fully recover by April?! People just love to panic, I guess...

I'll second credit where it's due to ptatc...my favorite point he makes is Jake is not injured anymore. The media talks about him as if he is. -He's not!

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
I don't think you can use that as an argument. I think Peavy will recover, but Jenks was just fat, Peavy is coming back from an injury no pitcher has ever suffered.

Its also been pretty clearly explained that people who put way more torque on their shoulders don't resuffer this injury unless their mechanics are bad. Once the surgery is done, there are no lasting effects.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)

Ra? Ankh?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
Peavy was on the Score this morning. Kinda threw the organization under the bus about pitching at all in 2009.

Starts at 14:30--

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=h...mp;dcid=CBS.CHI

"He lies about his health - why is this any different?"

WTF - these guys are wack.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
more/less blamed Cooper for either changing jake's mechanics, or not noticing that they were changed until way too late

If I remember right it is the fact that they tried to stop him from dropping down so much. They did the same thing at the beginning of 2010 but when he wasn't doing well he went back to it. Cooper had the same trouble with Contreras. They finally found a compromise on how often to do it but it was a struggle.

I don't think Jake really threw them under the bus at all. He was trying to explain why his motion was altered and why they couldn't shore up the bad habits, but he didn't put it on the Sox, really. He mentioned that they weren't familiar enough with him to know that his changed mechanics (i.e. dropping down more) were abnormal for him, but ptatc is correct, Cooper did mention last season that he was trying to get him over the top more because he saw an old video of Jake from the Padres and remarked that they looked like completely different pitchers. I really don't think Peavy insinuated that their inability to fix the entrenched poor habits was in any way the Sox staff's faults. Nor did he express that they rushed him back at the end of '09; rather, he said he rushed himself back because of his competitive drive. The Padres had shut him down for the year because of his ankle but because the Sox traded for him, he said he pressed too much and developed bad habits that led to his '10 downfall.

Throwing people under the bus doesn't sound like Peavy's style. He seems like the type of person who will blame himself in all cases, to a definite fault.

When my Cub fan buddy called me to tell me the Sox got Peavy, I laughed. Years later (three and a half starts) the time has come. Dunn can hit 40, Chris Sale can become the most dominant pitcher of ever, according to Soxtalk, If he doesn't fall apart, watch the F out.

But fire Ozzie! Roar roar! ozzy osborne

f*** You, quiet your stupid face.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
When my Cub fan buddy called me to tell me the Sox got Peavy, I laughed. Years later (three and a half starts) the time has come. Dunn can hit 40, Chris Sale can become the most dominant pitcher of ever, according to Soxtalk, If he doesn't fall apart, watch the F out.

But fire Ozzie! Roar roar! ozzy osborne

f*** You, quiet your stupid face.

Somebody must have had a "drink every time the Oscars showed Hugh Jackman last night to be drunk by 8:30!

Peavy apparently had another good session today, but got tired in the last 15 pitches or so. Still on schedule for Friday, and the biggest thing I am looking for is the velocity. Hopefully he is hitting the low 90's or so on Friday. Don't really care if he can't hit his spots or his pitches are flat, but that velocity is my biggest worry.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Its also been pretty clearly explained that people who put way more torque on their shoulders don't resuffer this injury unless their mechanics are bad. Once the surgery is done, there are no lasting effects.

How has that been proven. No pitcher has ever suffered the injury?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
How has that been proven. No pitcher has ever suffered the injury?

From what I understand from what ptatc has said, no pitcher really has suffered this injury before. There have been lat injuries before with pitchers, like Penny had last year, but none of them have actually had the lat come clean off the bone. The injury itself occurred because Peavy was dropping his arm angle when he was throwing to get more movement on the ball and I'd assume that there is some sort of unnatural movement to that (as if throwing overhand wasn't unnatural enough already). He's seen the injury in other throwers, especially javelin throwers, but he's said that after the surgery is done and the strength in the muscle is built back up, there are really no problems with it.

Ptatc has already predicted that Peavy will try to drop down again in the future, which is something the White Sox will try to have him avoid doing. He also predicted that, similar to Contreras, the Sox will instead simply pick certain spots where they will allow him to drop down rather than letting him rely upon it.

However, assuming Peavy continues throwing overhand, there should be no more problems with his lat. This really isn't a shoulder injury at all where you there is muscle damage within the shoulder that will limit him at all.

Jake Peavy exited Tuesday's 40-pitch bullpen session with mixed results running through his mind. The overall process continued to leave the White Sox right-hander with an upbeat feeling.

"I got tired toward the end, but it worked at a pretty good pace," said Peavy following the morning workout. "The first 25, I felt very good. Then, the back half, I started to lose command.

"That's because the intensity is starting to climb. It went well. No health problems. Got a good workout in. Things are scheduled for Friday."

Peavy pushed himself in this side session and really put "something on the ball" in an effort to find out where he stands going into Friday's Cactus League debut against the Angels in Tempe. For an accomplished veteran such as Peavy, the first Spring Training appearance usually indicates the start of a building process toward that regular-season opener, getting the arm strength up to work six or seven innings before departing Arizona.

Link

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
How did I not figure that out?

Because subconsciously you forgot that Peavy's first name was Jake since nobody refers to him by his first name anywhere (even though it is in the thread title...I read it as "Peavy Thread"). It's almost always Peavy and every now and then it's JFP.

Atleast, that is why I didn't get it.