What was the deal with tickets today?

hawksox13

On the first day of tickets being available to the public I always try to get Sox vs. Cubs tickets. In the past I've only been successful one time. Today, however, was a very different story. I was able to get four tickets to each of the Cubs at Sox games from June 20-22. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is from past years to this year. Just an overall lower demand? Poor advertising about tickets going on sale today? The fact that the games are on weekdays? Just lucky this time around? They may still have some tickets available, so if you haven't got them yet, go on over to Ticketmaster.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
On the first day of tickets being available to the public I always try to get Sox vs. Cubs tickets. In the past I've only been successful one time. Today, however, was a very different story. I was able to get four tickets to each of the Cubs at Sox games from June 20-22. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is from past years to this year. Just an overall lower demand? Poor advertising about tickets going on sale today? The fact that the games are on weekdays? Just lucky this time around? They may still have some tickets available, so if you haven't got them yet, go on over to Ticketmaster.

^^^That.

IMHO at least.

QUOTE (Realfan @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
What locations were available? Was it consistent for all three games?

The locations weren't great of course. All in the upper deck, within the last four sections on either side, 12th row or higher. I was just happy that I'll be in the stadium for each game. I work about ten minutes from the stadium, so the fact that they are on weekdays works to my advantage now.

There's no need to get the Ozzie plan or season tickets anymore, at least for college students. I can go to a game when I want without committing prior to that game. I'm not surprised that you got upper deck Cubs tickets since they are still out there and will be out there (overpriced scalper and team tickets) when it is close to the game. Last year I went with a friend to the game Zambrano s*** a brick at and we paid $100 each for tickets behind the plate. A bit overpriced, but it just proves that there are tickets and that you don't need to order one of the plans to get seats you would actually want. The same goes for the Yankees series...although I would rather watch the Cubs/Sox game and Yankees/Sox game at a bar instead of paying a premium to watch the Sox and a s***ty team like the Cubs play.

Sox see spike in 2011 ticket sales

Sox see spike in 2011 ticket sales

February 11, 2011 12:07 PM

By Mark Gonzales

A spike in player payroll has aroused mild interest in White Sox fans, if recent ticket sales are any indication.

The Sox noticed an increase in the sale of individual game tickets during the first 90 minutes they went on sale Friday, compared to last year.

The most significant spike, however, has been in the number of 13-game "Ozzie" plans, according to Brooks Boyer, the Sox's vice president and chief marketing officer.

"Very encouraging," Boyer wrote in an e-mail.

This is the first time I have seen the cubs vs. sox series for a weekday games only. They are on Mon, Tue, Wed nights so that might have something to do with the availability. I just checked their are plenty of UD only tickets available for all games. But IMO, unless its a cant miss playoff game the UD is best reserved for kids, teachers night, camp field trips, church groups, etc. Your HD TV and couch offer a better experience that the UD, especially in the sections down by the foul poles.

UD Box seats > Lower Level Outfield... Once you get outside of the infield upstairs viewing can be a little hairy. It is far better than anything in the outfield though. If you can get your hands on Season Tickets in UD Box, you're able to enjoy all the perks of the lower level for pre-game, etc and then go to a much less crowded, much more relaxed atmosphere upstairs. Big fan of the UD.

As for the Cubs series, I'm not surprised that tix were available. Most Cubs fans are realistic about their chances. The casual fans don't seem to be interested in their team yet this year. Certainly haven't been hearing any silliness about a World Series or playoffs from my Cub fan friends. A Monday - Wednesday schedule flies in the face of what many casual fans go for - beer and sun. Gets a little harder when you've got work to get up for the next day and limited tailgating with a 7:05 start.

I'm not sure if it was the Sox organization or the league which instigated the change of days for this season, but I think its a very smart move. Placing these games on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will lead to 3 sellouts on days which might typically draw an average of 20-24,000 fans. Sure, it may take a bit longer to reach those sellouts...but that's an extra 50-60,000 seats sold which is great revenue for the Sox bottom line.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
I'm not sure if it was the Sox organization or the league which instigated the change of days for this season, but I think its a very smart move. Placing these games on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will lead to 3 sellouts on days which might typically draw an average of 20-24,000 fans. Sure, it may take a bit longer to reach those sellouts...but that's an extra 50-60,000 seats sold which is great revenue for the Sox bottom line.

at $40 a ticket, that is an extra $2 million in revenue, if you say 50,000 extra people.