Sox to go with four man rotation to start the season?

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Your choices pretty much are throw away a few games on a bad AAA pitcher, burn up the pen, or burn up the starters in April. I go with throwing a Marquez/Harrell, or someone like that and wasting just a few games instead off burning up vital pitchers at the start of the season.

Who are you sending down to create this 25 man spot? - They want an extra hitter in there until Peavy comes back.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole purpose of the thread is that the article insinuates that they want extra bench or bullpen help.

If they have 7 relievers, they can keep 4 starters and have an extra defensive replacement/pinch hitter.

Something Ozzie wants anyway to keep up his rotating DH debacle going (giving Dunn a day off, 1B, LF/RF - you know Oz will do it.)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
It's pretty simple imo: Peavy starts on the dl, let Humber take a few spot starts(yes I know he's garbage but he's the best of the garbage that we have) and then dfa him or whatever the hell you need to do when Jake's ready to go.

I'll be sure not to watch any games in which Humber, Harrell or Pena start. Maybe I can come to your spot and get wasted on those days?

Any mentions of Pena starting again make me want to vomit.

Anyways, Ozzie's take on this is kind of curious, for him at least.

As far as Peavy, I'd thought I'd read that his lat is good to go, and now its a simple as getting that arm strength back. He's either going to be ready, or he's not going to be, but it's useless to speculate until we see what happens in ST. I'm not going to demand he start on the DL unless he's simply not ready to go. As far as that fifth spot, I'd prefer to throw whoever out there if Jake isn't ready to go and not have to go on short rest.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
The whole purpose of the thread is that the article insinuates that they want extra bench or bullpen help.

This actually kinda makes sense. Lilliputian is out of options, so he has to make the team. The bench with 4 looks like this:

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

If you can add an extra guy, you get:

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

De Aza/Milledge

In the 2nd case, you have a legit backup OF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
This actually kinda makes sense. Lilliputian is out of options, so he has to make the team. The bench with 4 looks like this:

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

De Aza/Milledge

Just because a guy is out of options doesn't mean he has to make the team. Lillibridge better have a good spring training, or he'll most likely be searching for another form of income very soon. With Omar and Teahen around, Lillibridge is on the outside looking in.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Just because a guy is out of options doesn't mean he has to make the team. Lillibridge better have a good spring training, or he'll most likely be searching for another form of income very soon. With Omar and Teahen around, Lillibridge is on the outside looking in.

I think it will take an awful lot for the Sox to let Lillibridge walk.

I think that isnt being said here is that in April with the weather etc, its likely that the Sox are going to have at least 1-2 extra off days which means that a 4 man rotation would be on regular rest for that stretch.

If you can use your 4 best starters on regular rest due to scheduling, you do it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Another worry with 4 man rotation is if Gavin gets off to his usual ugly start.

One of these years, he's going to have a good april, and then by the end of June people are going to be comparing him and King Felix for who's winning the Cy Young race. (I hope).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
I think it will take an awful lot for the Sox to let Lillibridge walk.

I think you are wrong. They know he sucks and is a back up at best for his career. His star has lost a lot of shine. He fans way too much. I believe the only way Lillibridge makes the team is with a big spring and/or an injury to Vizquel, or Morel showing he needs to go back to AAA. That is barring any trades. He's basically fighting for his baseball life IMO. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and they really don't have to keep him to hope to show something fromt the Vazquez trade now that Javy has moved on to yet another team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Your choices pretty much are throw away a few games on a bad AAA pitcher, burn up the pen, or burn up the starters in April. I go with throwing a Marquez/Harrell, or someone like that and wasting just a few games instead off burning up vital pitchers at the start of the season.

I agree. Plus in April, the pitchers are feeling strong, the weather might not be condusive to hitting, hitters might lose a little mental sharpness because of the name. If a mediocre minor leaguer is ever going to slide by other than meaningless September games, its then.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
I think you are wrong. They know he sucks and is a back up at best for his career. His star has lost a lot of shine. He fans way too much. I believe the only way Lillibridge makes the team is with a big spring and/or an injury to Vizquel, or Morel showing he needs to go back to AAA. That is barring any trades. He's basically fighting for his baseball life IMO. Guys like him are a dime a dozen and they really don't have to keep him to hope to show something fromt the Vazquez trade now that Javy has moved on to yet another team.

The other side of it though...if Vizquel ever retires, he's a solid, cheap, 2-3 year option as a backup utility infielder who can cover all 3 positions and backup CF as well...and his competition is De Aza and Milledge, which means there's not exactly anything likely to look amazing that he's blocking.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
I agree. Plus in April, the pitchers are feeling strong, the weather might not be condusive to hitting, hitters might lose a little mental sharpness because of the name. If a mediocre minor leaguer is ever going to slide by other than meaningless September games, its then.

Pitchers feel strong in April? I've heard lots more complaints about how they're just getting over their late-spring dead-arm periods in april.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

Castro

Vizquel

Teahen

Lilliputian

De Aza/Milledge

Mark Teahen is more than capable of playing LF and RF off the bench. I've pointed this out to you. Lillibridge is more than capable in CF, which I think is a well understood point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Mark Teahen is more than capable of playing LF and RF off the bench. I've pointed this out to you. Lillibridge is more than capable in CF, which I think is a well understood point.

Pointing it out to me is one thing...pointing it out to the guy making the lineups is another.