2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
espnchijon jon greenberg

WEEI reporter says Theo's deal is 5 years, $15 million of they can figure put compensation.

Compensation is believed to involve prospects and nothing on the ML roster (reports of Garza/Castro were just silly).

Honestly, I'm excited for the Cubs. This is a pretty big deal for that roster, and I have enough friends who would be so happy to see them not suck that I hope it works out.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
The guy is a great gm people. He's made bad moves just like every general manager but he's one of the best in the game. Huge get for the Cubs.

EDIT: I'm actually also very interested to see what compensation Boston is going to get for him. If we could get 2 decent prospects for a not so great manager then you'd think the price for a top end gm would be pretty steep.

I'm not trying to say he is a bad GM. It's definitely a very good move for the Cubs. But people are already prediciting WS championships for him, let's not get over our heads now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
I'm not trying to say he is a bad GM. It's definitely a very good move for the Cubs. But people are already prediciting WS championships for him, let's not get over our heads now.

I agree, but this is a good hire for the Cubs, I wish we had a new GM with fresh ideas unlike KW's SOS circus with the blame the fans attitude! KW's with the I am GOD you are not gets old.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
I agree, but this is a good hire for the Cubs, I wish we had a new GM with fresh ideas unlike KW's SOS circus with the blame the fans attitude! KW's with the I am GOD you are not gets old.

Theo has the same attitude that is why he is leaving a $180M payroll to come to the cubs.

If he thought the pressure in Boston was intense wait until the entire organization for the cubs is placed in his lap. He will be responsible for rebuilding the organization and infrastructure. He will be responsible for teaching cubdom how things worked in Boston.

The thing is the minion will buy into this and the cubs can now suck for two years but Theo will rebuild them.......

I hope he finds his Manny Ramirez, Big Papi and Youk.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
No, I don't buy it. The cubs have a good media machine, but nowhere near the heights of being in the AL East and having ESPN all over you.

And losing is way more accepted with the Cubs than any franchise on the planet outside of the Washington Generals.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

For Epstein, his salary wouldn't change much in shifting from Red Sox to Cubs, which speaks to his desire for the next job opportunity.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

The Cubs have had a list of GM candidates, and Epstein's name was at the top of that list. Sources say he has met with CHC twice.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Sources: MLB has closely monitored Cubs' negotations with Epstein, given its concern over how his financial package would impact GM market.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Cubs' final compensation to Epstein in duration of his contract closer to $20 million than $15 million, because of $3.5m conclusion bonus.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Ricketts' spending on draft and international players in June/July/August was a game-changer for #Cubs. Theo probably declines otherwise.

If Epstein is given the money for that and has a $100mm+ payroll then he'll succeed.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
If Epstein is given the money for that and has a $100mm+ payroll then he'll succeed.

Despite his hits on Lester, Pedroia, and Youk...it's not unfair to say that the reason he has rings is the Manroid deal and the fact that the Twins gave up on Ortiz. Theo isn't magic.

The thing to watch now is how they fill that 1b spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Despite his hits on Lester, Pedroia, and Youk...it's not unfair to say that the reason he has rings is the Manroid deal and the fact that the Twins gave up on Ortiz. Theo isn't magic.

The thing to watch now is how they fill that 1b spot.

I could see him trying to trade for Youkilis

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
I could see him trying to trade for Youkilis

That's a reasonable match for them since Boston has Gonzalez and Youk doesn't belong at third, but the Cubs aren't exactly starting with a lot of chips to move.

I struggle to see how that would happen without Starlin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
That's a reasonable match for them since Boston has Gonzalez and Youk doesn't belong at third, but the Cubs aren't exactly starting with a lot of chips to move.

With their pitching problems someone like Cashner could be a target too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)

Sean Marshall (if the Red Sox think they can turn him back into a starter)

I would take Theo over KW in a nano second but some Cub fans think this is going to help them right away and that just simply isn't the case. Gonna take a few years.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
I would take Theo over KW in a nano second but some Cub fans think this is going to help them right away and that just simply isn't the case. Gonna take a few years.

Yeah, Theo will need to clean house both on the field and off, and get the right guys to run his system and research. It's a great move for the Cubs, though.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Compensation is believed to involve prospects and nothing on the ML roster (reports of Garza/Castro were just silly).

Honestly, I'm excited for the Cubs. This is a pretty big deal for that roster, and I have enough friends who would be so happy to see them not suck that I hope it works out.

Meh. I have plenty of friends & family that have suffered for a long time, but f*** them. That's why they get for being Cubs fans, I hope it continues to the 22nd century.