2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
i forgot about theo quitting for a couple of months in 2005 and then coming back.

He seems a tad full of himself. His failure here will be epic as the minion will not understand rebuilding.

starlin isn't exactly a theo saber player.

If Theo had exactly the same career record and performance, except the Red Sox had won the world series in 86, would the Cubs have been so interested in him? Would he still have gotten $20 million from them?

This is a solid hire, but so were Baylor, Baker, and Sweet Lou. Besides, in Boston Theo had the benefits of a virtually unlimited payroll, two highly roided-up sluggers, and owners that coined the phrase "Evil Empire" with respect to the Yankees and were highly motivated to match or better that rival's every move. He'll have none of those here, just greater expectations of savior-hood, given his past success. Friedman doesn't have the all important (at least to Cub fans) "name," but that would have been the better hire. He doesn't have the championships, but has shown the ability to do more with less.

No doubt the chance to achieve an unparalled legacy as a "double curse buster" (plus the reported $15M) was too intriguing an opportunity to pass up, but something tells me this will not end well for Theo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
If Theo had exactly the same career record and performance, except the Red Sox had won the world series in 86, would the Cubs have been so interested in him? Would he still have gotten $20 million from them?

He won two world series in 9 years, how would they not be interested?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
He won two world series in 9 years, how would they not be interested?

And yet I didn't hear them going after Cashman.

They're paying a premium price solely for the "guy who broke the other curse." you know that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
And yet I didn't hear them going after Cashman.

They're paying a premium price solely for the "guy who broke the other curse." you know that.

Cashman was never seemingly available. I'm certainly not going to argue your point as I'm sure that had something to do with it, all I'm saying is Boston has been the best franchise in baseball since Theo has arrived, it would have been silly for the Cubs to not look at him for the job.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Cashman was never seemingly available. I'm certainly not going to argue your point as I'm sure that had something to do with it, all I'm saying is Boston has been the best franchise in baseball since Theo has arrived, it would have been silly for the Cubs to not look at him for the job.

If I could steal any GM in baseball if have plucked the Rays.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm not even sure why the rest of baseball should field teams anymore

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,6348490.column

Gross. At least Dan Bernstein's article told Cubs fans to wait a few years til you see the results. Although he guaranteed results as well. The rest of the NL Central may as well stop trying. Just like the AL Central should stop trying due to the Royals' farm system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm not even sure why the rest of baseball should field teams anymore

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,6348490.column

That's ok, it'll be funnier when they fail, too much high expectations already, this guy is talking about multiple WS, win the first one you idiots.

Epstein is not a God, he's got a near-zero chance of making the Cubs into a contender in 2012 unless the team gives him a $200M payroll. He was given a 5 year deal, and I figure it takes at least three for any plan he comes up with to get to fruition.

Cubs will suck in 2012. After that, we'll see what Theo is capable of.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
He'll fail without big money.

Or, more likely, he'll thrive with a higher percentage of money than his direct divisional competition. Say what you will about their cash, but they could never spend close to what the Yankees have... outspending the Cards, Brewers, Pirates, and Astros ain't no thang for the Cubs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Or, more likely, he'll thrive with a higher percentage of money than his direct divisional competition. Say what you will about their cash, but they could never spend close to what the Yankees have... outspending the Cards, Brewers, Pirates, and Astros ain't no thang for the Cubs.

yet it was the Rays and their $40M payroll that eliminated them

3 out of the 4 teams you mentioned have more talent than the Cubs.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)

I wonder if Theo has any say as to which prospects may be available to Boston. He's not technically the GM until the deal is completed, but one would think they would have asked for his input regarding the compensation.

If the Trib still owned them, I'd agree.

Now, I'm not sure.