2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
to me it does not pass the smell test

Why Hoyer would leave to become theo's lackey says a-lot about him to me....why would the Padres let him leave is a bigger question.

Probably because the Cubs are throwing $3 million or more a year at him. They're probably essentially signing their President/GM combo to 4 years and $30-$35 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Probably because the Cubs are throwing $3 million or more a year at him. They're probably essentially signing their President/GM combo to 4 years and $30-$35 million.

Why would the Padres let him leave that is my question/

In Jed's case what does it say about him that he wants to be second fiddle again? I understand he is most likely getting more money and I guess that will serve its purpose for him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
If anyone was listening to the SCORE last night at 5:30, there was a guest on that went off on Theo. The call dropped from a bad cell but this was not a caller it was a national guy and he was ripping Theo to shreds.

It sounded like a Sox fan. B&B were almost speechless.

I heard this as well. From what I could get from it, he was saying that Theo had a ton of help as far as people around him and how much money he could spend and that he's not as smart as everyone thinks he is.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
I heard this as well. From what I could get from it, he was saying that Theo had a ton of help as far as people around him and how much money he could spend and that he's not as smart as everyone thinks he is.

The Lajoe (sp?) remarks were quite telling

If cub fans were hearing this they really should be a tad bit alarmed if Theo is not given a big checkbook and buddies to help him out......actually the big checkbook may just kill the cubs again

Maybe Hoyer will stay in SD long enough to trade for Soriano

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Red Sox officials now incensed about rumors of a done deal, and are saying they aren't even close yet.

It's been mostly just Levine and K[r]aplan braying about how "close" they are. That doesn't mean dick.

Damn, the Cubs are putting together the Voltron of GM's. I'm actually impressed with what the Cubs are doing. They're rehauling the whole organization for the long term, not doing their usual "let's sign an overpriced guy to fill a hole".

I wish the Sox would follow their lead and start building from the farm system up again. Having a bad farm system along with cutting payroll and aging players is a recipe for a couple of long years ahead of us. Hopefully KW can land some good young talent to help us out if he winds up dealing a few guys this Winter (CQ, Floyd).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
NCTPadres Dan Hayes

by espnchijon

Got confirmation from a #Padres source that the team will receive compensation if/when Jed Hoyer/Jason McLeod go to #Cubs.

Can we get everyone to agree that after this gets done, the Cubs system will make the Sox's system look solid?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Can we get everyone to agree that after this gets done, the Cubs system will make the Sox's system look solid?

Sounds like they are going to give up two guys for Hoyer from the lower levels, plus a pretty good one for Theo. The funny thing is that the Sox getting two of FLA's top 5 guys probably set up the Red Sox to ask for as much as they are asking for. That makes me :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Sounds like they are going to give up two guys for Hoyer from the lower levels, plus a pretty good one for Theo. The funny thing is that the Sox getting two of FLA's top 5 guys probably set up the Red Sox to ask for as much as they are asking for. That makes me :)

I struggle to see how any set of front office people are worth paying this kind of price in both dollars and talent. If you think it will somehow sell tickets...sure...but both the dollars and the talent will set that franchise back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
I struggle to see how any set of front office people are worth paying this kind of price in both dollars and talent. If you think it will somehow sell tickets...sure...but both the dollars and the talent will set that franchise back.

I honestly think it is their way of spending the least amount of money possible to buy them time with the fans. How far would $6-8 million a year go on the free agent market? The Cubs get to say they spent this money to bring in key guys, and they get to say that it will take years for the results to show up. Their fans will eat it up. It also takes away the pressure to throw money at someone like Prince or Poo-Holes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)

If the front office people live up to the hype and produce a winner 5-7 years from now, wouldn't that future playoff/championship revenue make up for what you spend now??

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
If the front office people live up to the hype and produce a winner 5-7 years from now, wouldn't that future playoff/championship revenue make up for what you spend now??

This of course assumes that there is truly something magical about these 2 which makes them substantially better than any other GM in baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)

I'll believe it when I see it. I heard the same crap when Don Baylor, Lou Pinella, Tom Ricketts, and McFail came to the north side.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
I'll believe it when I see it. I heard the same crap when Don Baylor, Lou Pinella, Tom Ricketts, and McFail came to the north side.

I think the money they're throwing at their coach/front office magic fix groups is increasing exponentially, and now its costing them players too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I think the money they're throwing at their coach/front office magic fix groups is increasing exponentially, and now its costing them players too.

That is a really big cost to a team that is trying to rebuild from within.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)

It depends on what you mean by "system" and "after this gets done?"

As much as we're in disarray, I won't concede they'll be that much better on a top to bottom basis after the press conferences. Its going to take a while to reform their entire system (as opposed to just the front office), and we don't know who's leaving them as compensation.

Edit: I think I misread the original post. I do agree our s***ty farm is going to look better compared to theirs once the Cubs' is further depleted by the comp to the Bosox and Pads.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

I think some of you just want to criticize the Cubs for whatever they do.

They're building a stronger FO with these moves. It may not result in 2 titles like it did in Boston, but getting these two in the mix is definitely setting them up better for the future than having Jim Hendry there.

I am not expecting Theo and Jed to transform the Cubs into a powerhouse overnight, but in my opinion, this is a definite solid first step to getting the product on the field back to respectability.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
This of course assumes that there is truly something magical about these 2 which makes them substantially better than any other GM in baseball.

Well if you listen to the media, yes, these guys are that good and the victories & cash should be rolling in by 2018.

Whether or not that actually happens is another story.