2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I remember hearing either Steve Stone or Ed Farmer say that you could go to the plate without a bat and most of the time count on him throwing 4 balls before he throws 3 strikes.

The biggest problem is that the ump bails him out as much as anyone I've seen not named Greg Maddux.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
The biggest problem is that the ump bails him out as much as anyone I've seen not named Greg Maddux.

Yay, you're on the Marmol has a 30 inch plate bandwagon with me! Never seen someone who gets the benefit of the call on the slider as much as he does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Yay, you're on the Marmol has a 30 inch plate bandwagon with me! Never seen someone who gets the benefit of the call on the slider as much as he does.

He really goes to the "Is catching the front corner of the plate, instead of passing over the whole plate" debate for being a strike.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
He really goes to the "Is catching the front corner of the plate, instead of passing over the whole plate" debate for being a strike.

That's the thing though, it seems he gets credit for when it crosses the plate a strike as well as when it ends up behind the plate as a strike.

I went to the game today for a company outing. We were on one of the rooftops. I swear, nobody there was actually watching the game. I know nobody cares since the Cubs suck, but seriously, you're at a baseball game, at least take a damn peak.

I did enjoy the free food and booze though. :)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
I went to the game today for a company outing. We were on one of the rooftops. I swear, nobody there was actually watching the game. I know nobody cares since the Cubs suck, but seriously, you're at a baseball game, at least take a damn peak.

In other news, water is still wet.

:P

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)

I did enjoy the free food and booze though. :)

If I was on the rooftops that's pretty close to what I would be probably. I assume the view isn't that great and with unlimited food and booze well, I would be getting hammered (not at a company event of course).

I went last week to a Cubs game and was honestly the only one in the upper deck that could tell what was a good hit and what was just a pop up. I know it's a bit harder to tell up there, but seriously you should be able to read the difference between a shallow pop up and something going close to the warning track.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
If I was on the rooftops that's pretty close to what I would be probably. I assume the view isn't that great and with unlimited food and booze well, I would be getting hammered (not at a company event of course).

I went last week to a Cubs game and was honestly the only one in the upper deck that could tell what was a good hit and what was just a pop up. I know it's a bit harder to tell up there, but seriously you should be able to read the difference between a shallow pop up and something going close to the warning track.

It's easy to tell by just watching how the fielders react.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
It's easy to tell by just watching how the fielders react.

One of the main reasons that I can no longer stand Hawk. Screaming for an obvious popup to stretch is just annoying. Look at the outfielder camp 15 feet away from the track and you can see it easily.