2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
Does anyone know where the hell Bart Man(in my best Wilbon voice) is now a days? Was so nuts that he was actually working with my step mom when everything occured.

There was an article about him in the Trib today. It basically said that he just lives a quiet life of anonymity, still works for AON, and denies all media requests. Kevin James wanted to make a movie about him, he was offered six figures for a Super Bowl commercial, but he declines it all, and just tries to live as privately as possible.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clips i've seen so far have managed to make me really angry. Every Cubs fan who threatened his well-being at the game and in the years after should be rounded up and kicked in the nuts. It makes me physically ill to watch the replay now, and just watch the poor guy shrink into his seat and try to disappear.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Whoa, easy there.

I didn't see that as hyperbole. I was only 20 at the time (much more immature back then). But I wanted no part of baseball if the Cubs won the World Series. No lie. The s*** that I had to put up with during that run? I can't even explain it. My f***ing parents, who can't spell baseball, started talkin' s***. I'll always be in debt to the Marlins. But my fandom has to stop now. As they are now home to a loudmouth, pathetic manager, who's a lot more bark than bite.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
I didn't see that as hyperbole. I was only 20 at the time (much more immature back then). But I wanted no part of baseball if the Cubs won the World Series. No lie. The s*** that I had to put up with during that run? I can't even explain it. My f***ing parents, who can't spell baseball, started talkin' s***. I'll always be in debt to the Marlins. But my fandom has to stop now. As they are now home to a loudmouth, pathetic manager, who's a lot more bark than bite.

I agree, I got to sit a floor below my Cubs fan Dad and hear the pain of them dropping both games.

But Minka and Ashley Greene with a sex tape?? Yowza

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
Does anyone know where the hell Bart Man(in my best Wilbon voice) is now a days? Was so nuts that he was actually working with my step mom when everything occured.

Hewitt, right?

Did anybody watch the Bartman TV special on ESPN?

If so ... was he finally interviewed?

I kind of feel sorry for that guy. Some bozo next to him was trying just as hard for the foul ball and would have also hit the ball had Bartman not hit it first.

Human nature ... go for the ball (unfortunately).

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Hewitt, right?

Yup.

Definitely enjoyed the documentary. In 2003, I was a rabid Cubs hater, where I grew up and where I went to high school made it an all out hell at that time for a Sox fan. That year in general just couldn't be worse with the Cubs seemingly on their way to the World Series and the Sox having arguably the best team on paper in baseball getting b**** slapped by the Twins in September per usual. So what happened to the Cubs was definitely one of the highlights of my sports life at the time.

Anyways, I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion around here but if I were a Cubs fan, I'd still partially blame Bartman for what happened. Obviously Alex Gonzalez and Mark Prior deserve a s*** ton of the blame as well but there's no doubt in my mind that if Alou indeed makes that catch(which he would have) then that Cubs team goes on to win the World Series.

I do hope one day that he will come out of hiding and we can get a good interview with him. Despite me being one of the few that still actually believes he deserves some blame for what happened to the poor Cubs, there's no doubt that Bartman has handled the whole situation in a stand up way.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
The clips i've seen so far have managed to make me really angry. Every Cubs fan who threatened his well-being at the game and in the years after should be rounded up and kicked in the nuts. It makes me physically ill to watch the replay now, and just watch the poor guy shrink into his seat and try to disappear.

I feel sorry for him.

He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Almost all fans go for the ball (unfortunately). We've seen it time and again. Fans interfering.

And dads dropping their kids to chase foul balls, etc.

I was living in Chicago in 2003, and most of my friends were Cubs fans. They had a big game-watching party that night. My wife went, but I declined to go for two reasons:

1) If the Cubs actually won, I was worried about riots/fires to the extent that I was worried for my personal safety being anywhere other than home

2) If the Cubs blew it, I wanted to be by myself so I wouldn't have to contain any of my pure, unadulterated joy in the moment.

I didn't think too much of the Bartman play at the time, but when Dusty put Kyle Farnsworth into the game, I called my Dad (also a Sox fan) and said, "Yep, this is the end for the Cubs."

I'll always remember that game 7 because it was one of the last times I was able to watch a game with my dad. I didn't want to be near any Cubs fans during that game, in case they actually did win. But watching the game with my dad, with a bunch of beers...yea, that was pretty awesome.

I went to a Marlins game in 2007, and their "Great Moments in Marlins History" video they showed between innings was Mordecai's double off of Fansworth to blow that game wide open. I guarantee I was more excited to see that video than the 50 Marlins fans at the game.

Imagine for a second you were Bartman and you were involved in this and it was the White Sox........

I turned the game off and was watching NYPD Blue. Got a call and I thought it was to say baseball as a sport has ended for me.....to my surprsie the caller said, "watching your boy Sipowitz?".....my reply "yep"..... caller"you may want to turn the game on, it is epic".......my reply after turning it on, "thanks mom".......

I think the cubs were so caught up it from the media that they felt the other team was almost going to let them win and that they were entitled to it. I think that carried over to the Lou years.