2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

I was down in Champaign during that run. They clinched the division on my 21st birthday, and after that it seemed like there was no stopping the WS train. It was also like somebody covered the entire campus in Cubs gear. You normally wouldn't see all that much, but suddenly everyone was talking about the Cubs and rooting for them.

Watched game 6 with Cubs fan roommate, just both in disbelief that it happened the way it did. I watched game 7 at Legends with the Cubs crowd, very entertaining. IIRC, a group of Sox fans formed a club on campus called "CubsSuck". They also made an appearance at the bar to celebrate, which was entertaining.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Catching Hell right now....well done, pretty cool how they had the people in the seats next to him...plus I can watch highlights of that game 6 anyday.

One thing I will never forget: Game 7, 1st inning, Cabrera takes a 98 mph ankle high fastball from Wood and puts it in the back of the bleachers. He was 20 years old then, I knew the kid was gonna be a player. Now he is in the AL Central, great.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
I find it funny people blast cubs fans when we share the bhawks, bears, and bulls...... So everything negative about them you have to include with our other teams most of us root for. I just don't think Chicago has the classiest fan base in general.

Please elaborate on this.

I think Americans in general have taken American sports too seriously. We are seeing violence in kid amateur sports involving adults. I wonder if there is a such thing as a classy fan base. Chicago (except for Cubs) is far classier than NY, Boston, LA, Oakland.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
Did anybody watch the Bartman TV special on ESPN?

If so ... was he finally interviewed?

I kind of feel sorry for that guy. Some bozo next to him was trying just as hard for the foul ball and would have also hit the ball had Bartman not hit it first.

Human nature ... go for the ball (unfortunately).

Of course Red Sox fans disagree with this. It shouldn't be shocking since it is the other most superstitious franchise in sports history.

I think a fan would be stupid not to go after that ball. They assumed the Cubs had it wrapped up and as a fan having a ball from the Cubs winning the NLCS would make a great souvenir.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)
I love how Blago thinks he's being funny saying he'd never pardon Bartman. Watching this program, it makes me even more happy about 2005. An greg, I let out a "that a-boy Juan" when they showed a highlight of him knocking in a run.

Kinda funny how he close to reaping what he sowed.

Well this is bad:

Joel Sherman

I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM

36 minutes ago

Maybe then he can bring in Dave Martinez and I can quit baseball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Well this is bad:

Joel Sherman

I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM

36 minutes ago

Maybe then he can bring in Dave Martinez and I can quit baseball.

That's real bad. That's f***ing terrible, actually.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
I don't know. Epstein has loaded the Red Sox up with a few bad contracts in recent years. Also, I'd tend to stay away from him and Francona as Boston is a meat grinder and they look like they might be burned out even though Theo is only 37.

Lackey and Crawford (especially Lackey) contracts look terrible at the moment. But Theo's overall body of work is staggering. He's one of the best GMs in team sports and if the Cubs get him they'll be damn lucky.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Lackey and Crawford (especially Lackey) contracts look terrible at the moment. But Theo's overall body of work is staggering. He's one of the best GMs in team sports and if the Cubs get him they'll be damn lucky.

If Theo went to the Cubs and they won, he would have killed 2 curses, and probably would go down as one of the top GMs ever. If he's miserable working for the Red Sox, its a no brainer he takes the Cubs job if the Red Sox let him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
If Theo went to the Cubs and they won, he would have killed 2 curses, and probably would go down as one of the top GMs ever. If he's miserable working for the Red Sox, its a no brainer he takes the Cubs job if the Red Sox let him.

Yeah, I'd think that'd guarantee him a hall of fame spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
As someone said earlier, Theo to Cubs would be bad news. Means they'd likely spend a ton of money this offseason on someone like Prince or Pujols.
Based on where the Cubs are at right now...it seems like it would be difficult for them to really make a run at being a very good team in the next few years even if they landed one of those 2 guys...and a few years down the road, those guys might well be in the "Overpaid" category.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
Let him. He'll just be the next guy in a long line to fail in that place. They constantly make moves that get you thinking that they'll turn it around, but everyone comes crashing down to Earth.

I don't think anyone really expected that the post-2008 moves the Cubs have made were on the "Turn it around" path. Or at least anyone who's not a cubs fan.

Their big spending spree that put them in the playoffs, that did turn them around. They just ran into Manroid one year and what was it, the D-Backs the next year, and couldn't get past them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't think anyone really expected that the post-2008 moves the Cubs have made were on the "Turn it around" path. Or at least anyone who's not a cubs fan.

Their big spending spree that put them in the playoffs, that did turn them around. They just ran into Manroid one year and what was it, the D-Backs the next year, and couldn't get past them.

They always just find a way to fail. That's what I mean.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Agreed. Theo may very well be on the downhill side of his career.

If a guy like him is going to take that job, it has to be done with a 10 year plan in mind. He's not winning a title with what they have in the minros in 2 years.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
I find it funny people blast cubs fans when we share the bhawks, bears, and bulls...... So everything negative about them you have to include with our other teams most of us root for. I just don't think Chicago has the classiest fan base in general.

That's a very big reason I don't like the Blackhawks or the Bears. Love the Bulls though.