2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
I don't know. Theo was a huge beneficiary of the steriod era.

This would imply the other teams in the league didn't have these same benefits available to them. The GMs not getting steroidal players weren't being noble - they were mainly the ones that didn't have money.

Epstein within a few years will give the Cubs roster some consistent direction, year in year out. It's hard not to be jealous when you have your own FO churning out teams that each year have a wildly different bent.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
This would imply the other teams in the league didn't have these same benefits available to them. The GMs not getting steroidal players weren't being noble - they were mainly the ones that didn't have money.

Epstein within a few years will give the Cubs roster some consistent direction, year in year out. It's hard not to be jealous when you have your own FO churning out teams that each year have a wildly different bent.

Theo may have taken the steriod-era to another level if reports of the Red Sox having a doctor address the team about proper use are true. At any rate, he has had a Williams-like ending loading the Red Sox with bad money.

The Cubs probably won't spend big for a while and the pieces they have right now don't fit Epstein's approach to building a baseball team. He's going to need at least a few years to get the right pieces together before this Cubs team can win again.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
The Cubs probably won't spend big for a while and the pieces they have right now don't fit Epstein's approach to building a baseball team. He's going to need at least a few years to get the right pieces together before this Cubs team can win again.

Don't they have bunch of cash coming off the books this year?

The Cubs do this on a regular basis. Remember Andy McFAIL was going to bring that Twins magic to the Northside? Then there was Jim Hendy to save them. Don Baylor of 103 win fame? No problem. Lou Pinella the World Champion? Yeah, no match for the Cubs.

Go ahead bring in Theo. He'll end up on the scrap heap with the rest of them.

The guy is a great gm people. He's made bad moves just like every general manager but he's one of the best in the game. Huge get for the Cubs.

EDIT: I'm actually also very interested to see what compensation Boston is going to get for him. If we could get 2 decent prospects for a not so great manager then you'd think the price for a top end gm would be pretty steep.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
The guy is a great gm people. He's made bad moves just like every general manager but he's one of the best in the game. Huge get for the Cubs.

EDIT: I'm actually also very interested to see what compensation Boston is going to get for him. If we could get 2 decent prospects for a not so great manager then you'd think the price for a top end gm would be pretty steep.

I've never heard of a GM getting "traded" before. Is that even possible the same way a manager can be?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)

Agreed. I think many people's distaste for anything Cubs is getting in the way here.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Don't they have bunch of cash coming off the books this year?

Aramis, Pena, and Fukudome are the big ones. Problem is, their replacements make Beent Morel look raw. And they might well blow all that money on a big name to sell tickets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
The Cubs do this on a regular basis. Remember Andy McFAIL was going to bring that Twins magic to the Northside? Then there was Jim Hendy to save them. Don Baylor of 103 win fame? No problem. Lou Pinella the World Champion? Yeah, no match for the Cubs.

Go ahead bring in Theo. He'll end up on the scrap heap with the rest of them.

MacPhail, like Theo, won two World Series as GM in his 30's. And he did it in freaking Minnesota.

Theo is a very good hire for the Cubs if they get him. But he's not the first talented guy to try and fix that place. If he takes the job, he'll definitely get them better, but consider me not worried.

I've never heard of a GM getting "traded" before. Is that even possible the same way a manager can be?

I would think any team employee that is under contract could be traded.

***Dreams about some team trading the Sox a prospect for Hawk***