2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
Sort of funny how this works... Theo has a massive rebuilding project in front of him as it is, but in order to even have the privilege of taking a shot at it, the already-thin minor league system with the Cubs has to be thinned out even further.

If the Cubs's 40 man is off limits, and the people from this year's draft can't even be PTBNL'd yet, then I'm not quite sure it matters.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but something I've read said that the Cubs wouldn't give up their MLB-level guys.

They could say that. It depends on what Boston wants, and how bad they want it. After the WS all players are game to be moved.

Summarized from the Chicago Tribune:

This young "baseball guru" heads to the Chicago Cubs to be "greeted as a conquering hero, the savior for a franchise known more for bumbling than for baseball." Apart from the fact that he guided his former club to two World Series championships, there is further cause for celebration in that "he exudes unbridled confidence, a boyish sense of innocence and a 'can-do/let's go get 'em' spirit."

Any of this sound familiar?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-09...se-world-series

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

Boston has the leverage here. Theo can resign sit out a year and prolong the rebuilding. Boston should ask for Garza or Castro and settle for Marshall.

Isn't there blatant tampering going on here as well? I suppose Boston may have given him permission to talk by why would they?

Theo seems like a bit of a loose cannon to me.....should do great up at wrigley.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Boston has the leverage here. Theo can resign sit out a year and prolong the rebuilding. Boston should ask for Garza or Castro and settle for Marshall.

Isn't there blatant tampering going on here as well? I suppose Boston may have given him permission to talk by why would they?

Theo seems like a bit of a loose cannon to me.....should do great up at wrigley.

They had to have given him permission to talk if they are to the stage of talking about the Red Sox compensation.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)

To follow up...

PeteAbe Pete Abraham

by espnchijon

Henry acknowledges that Theo has spoken with "another team" and has permission to do so

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Absolutely. Or they could pay him to stay home and not work at all.

I'm going to go offer to chip in to Bostons payroll if they send Theo somewhere other than the Cubs. Not because I'm afraid of him...just to rip their hearts out once more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
Wait, so this isn't done yet?

I don't see where the Red Sox have much leverage in compensation now. Its not like Theo can go back to Boston. If I'm the Cubs, I'll give them something, but if Boston insists on any real significant prospects, or players, I'd call their bluff. If you have to wait a year, wait a year, I doubt it would come to that. Not only would Boston have to pay Theo his regular salary, but a $3.5 million bonus.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Absolutely. Or they could pay him to stay home and not work at all.

Not if Theo doesn't want to go to another place. Unlike players, his contract is non transferrable. If Theo wants to go to the Cubs and doesn't want to go anywhere else, the Red Sox have one team to negotiate with, and with what has already transpired, if you are the Cubs, why would you give them anything of value? Their smear campaign is going to cost them at least some compensation.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Don't they have bunch of cash coming off the books this year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 01:11 AM)
Aramis, Pena, and Fukudome are the big ones. Problem is, their replacements make Beent Morel look raw. And they might well blow all that money on a big name to sell tickets.

They do have money coming off but, in a lot of instances, it goes right back into the current payroll due to raises. I did some arbitrary figures a while back and basically came up with them cutting less than $10 million from next year's payroll. That's probably not even going to be enough to get Carlos Pena.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
They do have money coming off but, in a lot of instances, it goes right back into the current payroll due to raises. I did some arbitrary figures a while back and basically came up with them cutting less than $10 million from next year's payroll. That's probably not even going to be enough to get Carlos Pena.

It's almost certain that Aramis will be a free agent and not pick up his player option, that should be big.

http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/2011/10...or-trey-mcnutt/

According to CSN's Patrick Mooney, Boston is asking for Cubs top pitching prospect Trey McNutt as compensation. The Cubs understandably are reluctant to do this as they believe McNutt has a chance to be in their rotation as soon as next year.

Mooney also states that Brett Jackson is off the table and that the Cubs aren't giving up anyone who is going to be on their 40 man roster. This would include top hitting prospects Matt Szczur and Josh Vitters. McNutt, however, is a different story as he doesn't need to be protected this year.

If you ask me, McNutt is too high a price to pay as he is potentially a #2 type starter in this league, and for those who say it's worth it and that Epstein will replace him easily, remember that Epstein has only developed two quality starters in his 9 year tenure with the Red Sox, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz. Front line rotation pitchers are difficult to find and if you have one that has that kind of potential then it's a good idea to hang on to them.

In addition to this, Mooney is saying that that a second prospect may be added to the mix as the Marlins have set the current market with the compensation they gave up for signing Ozzie Guillen. The difference, though, is that the two prospects the Marlins are giving up are a utility infielder type and a reliever, not to mention that the Marlins were at least partially motivated by the threat of tampering charges.

The good news? Mooney, like everyone else, expects a deal to be cut within the next 48 hours, saying...

While the tone of these negotiations made headlines, the big picture is that the Cubs and Red Sox have already found so much common ground. There is a motivated buyer and a determined seller. Everyone agrees that Epstein now belongs in Chicago.

It looks for now that it will be closer to Wednesday, however, as Boston is going to wait as long as possible to get the best possible player.