2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

Per MLB network just now

Jed Hoyer (rumored to be) leaving Padres to join Epstein in Cubs FO

@_@

edit: this makes the AGon deal look even MORE like tampering/intentionally damaging ones own system

Edited by Real

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Except that Boston could sit on him for a year. Anyone who comes into Chicago is obviously their second choice. Hell the Red Sox could reassign Theo to something else in their organization just to get rid of him.

They can sit on him, but would have to pay him $7.5 million with what his contract reads with a bonus. That's some money that could be spent paying over slot.

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
Per MLB network just now

Jed Hoyer (rumored to be) leaving Padres to join Epstein in Cubs FO

@_@

edit: this makes the AGon deal look even MORE like tampering/intentionally damaging ones own system

That's really hard to believe...a guy taking a demotion to go work for the Cubs?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
They can sit on him, but would have to pay him $7.5 million with what his contract reads with a bonus. That's some money that could be spent paying over slot.

What is his contract like if they were to sit on him through say, the end of January? Leave the Cubs GM-less through the entire offseason then drop their price?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)

I think you are wrong here. The bonus is there if he finishes out his term. He is electing to pursue another job, therefore, a retention bonus is probably out the window.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
He wouldn't.

Hoyer is GM

Theo is President

You can say Hoyer is making a lateral move for more money I would assume but do you think he has any say and is really getting any power. Theo is running the team. President of baseball operations does what exactly, if the GM is making all of the personnel decisions.

The A Gon trade then looks really, really bad now for SD.

Josh Byrnes is in the equation as well with Hoyer.

Personally I think Hoyer is let go but nobody will bring up that trade.

Maybe teams will give Theo all-stars to rebuild the cubs.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 19, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Hoyer is GM

Theo is President

You can say Hoyer is making a lateral move for more money I would assume but do you think he has any say and is really getting any power. Theo is running the team. President of baseball operations does what exactly, if the GM is making all of the personnel decisions.

The A Gon trade then looks really, really bad now for SD.

Josh Byrnes is in the equation as well with Hoyer.

Personally I think Hoyer is let go but nobody will bring up that trade.

Maybe teams will give Theo all-stars to rebuild the cubs.

Exactly. And not only money, but opportunity of a bigger market and payroll. Let's face is San Diego isn't exactly a prime job, especially when compared to the Cubs.

No way Hoyer or Byrnes are going to go become Asst. GM's with the Cubs. I supposed if Epstein is going to be president it could work, but that is a lot of money that will be spent on front office people (possibly smart money though cause good baseball people in your front office are worth there weight in gold).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
David Haugh

Finally, @PWSullivan reports Cubs will make it official Fri at Wrigley with introduction of Theo Epstein. First domino and it's a giant one.

Oh s*** the first domino has fallen en route to a Cubs 70 win season!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Oh s*** the first domino has fallen en route to a Cubs 70 win season!!!

Yeah, I truly don't get the hype. Also, Boston fans should be livid, as it seems this was in motion before the season ended if it's true that Ricketts met with Hoyer during the last series of the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Yeah, I truly don't get the hype. Also, Boston fans should be livid, as it seems this was in motion before the season ended if it's true that Ricketts met with Hoyer during the last series of the season.

Lost in all this hype is that the reason the Cubs mgmt is bringing in "Moneyball" type mgmt is because they intend on spending alot less money on their roster. I am not sure that would excite any rational baseball fan.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Lost in all this hype is that the reason the Cubs mgmt is bringing in "Moneyball" type mgmt is because they intend on spending alot less money on their roster. I am not sure that would excite any rational baseball fan.

I will believe it when I see it with regards to them not spending as much money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

it has been determined jed hoyer will go to chicago with theo and be #cubs gm. not sure epstein trade finalized yet tho

Holy s***, I can't believe that's actually true. Well, they are definitely pouring money into their management...

The Jed Hoyer thing is interesting.

Look I hate the cubs as much as anyone but how does baseball not look into this more?

This is blatant tampering.

The Gonzalez trade to Boston looks really fishy here to me.

Does San Diego just want to get out of whatever is owed to Hoyer?

I ma not certain these moves will do anything but there are certainly enough teams looking to rid themselves of too much stuff here.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
The Jed Hoyer thing is interesting.

Look I hate the cubs as much as anyone but how does baseball not look into this more?

This is blatant tampering.

The Gonzalez trade to Boston looks really fishy here to me.

Does San Diego just want to get out of whatever is owed to Hoyer?

I ma not certain these moves will do anything but there are certainly enough teams looking to rid themselves of too much stuff here.

Because they were friends? It's not like they got him traded to the Cubs then both went there....It was clear that Hoyer had guys he liked from the Sox system and Theo took advantage of that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 20, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Because they were friends? It's not like they got him traded to the Cubs then both went there....It was clear that Hoyer had guys he liked from the Sox system and Theo took advantage of that.

to me it does not pass the smell test

Why Hoyer would leave to become theo's lackey says a-lot about him to me....why would the Padres let him leave is a bigger question.