2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Bob Brenly sounds so much like Terry Boers.

i thought it was pretty funny, tuning into the cubs game on saturday(since ill watch just about any game on tv) how casper was saying how the sox were up 5-0 already and had scored 15 the day before and brenly has to be a hater and say how they let 10 runs score so how happy can you be about it. just thought it was stupid considering they had lost to the pirates opening day and were currently losing lol must be fun being a cubs fan

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm no sabermetrics expert, but something can't be right if Matt Garza's FIP after yesterday is -0.32.

It was right...alright. 12 Ks, no walks, and no home runs given up.

That's -12x2/7. The constant portion of FIP is usually 3.11. -24/7 is larger than 3. So the variable portion had a larger magnitude than the constant portion, resulting in a negative FIP. It won't last long though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)

That's -12x2/7. The constant portion of FIP is usually 3.11. -24/7 is larger than 3. So the variable portion had a larger magnitude than the constant portion, resulting in a negative FIP. It won't last long though.

I was going to explain it to him but I know any mention of sabermetics is like your batman signal. So I let you do what you love.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I know fathom mentioned this earlier, but these NL lineups are deplorable. Seems like every NL team outside of probably the Reds and Braves have 2-3 auto-outs to go along with, of course, the pitcher.

I concur. And it seems like every NL lineup has a guy or two in it that I thought was out of baseball. (Or should be out of baseball)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)

Gotcha. So bascially since he struck out a lot of guys, kept the ball in the park and avoided free passes, it would seem he pitched well enough to not give up any runs (or -0.32) but obviously that didnt happen.

This sabermetric stuff is easy!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
This Arizona team is horrible. Shame, too. Had such an amazingly looking bright future in 2006-2007. Horrible front-office decision after another. I can see why KC fans temper their enthusiasm when it comes to their GOAT farm.

What exactly did Arizona's front office do wrong?

I can understand the Byrnes deal and the Quentin trade being bad moves, but the Quentin trade also enabled them to bring in Haren.

Should they have dumped Chris Young, or at least not signed him? He was part of that amazingly bright future. Who else did they trade away who has gone on to success, and were they not in the Haren trade?

Arizona's team right now is the problem with the "Firesale". You might load up on great prospects, but great prospects don't turn you into a champion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
What exactly did Arizona's front office do wrong?

I can understand the Byrnes deal and the Quentin trade being bad moves, but the Quentin trade also enabled them to bring in Haren.

Should they have dumped Chris Young, or at least not signed him? He was part of that amazingly bright future. Who else did they trade away who has gone on to success, and were they not in the Haren trade?

Arizona's team right now is the problem with the "Firesale". You might load up on great prospects, but great prospects don't turn you into a champion.

They traded Cargo, Valverde, Scherzer and Haren in a span of like 3 years. Now I know they got Haren partly because of Gonzalez. But if you're going to end up trading Haren anyway it better be for more than Joe Saunders and a bunch of C+ prospects. And you're half right. A big part of their demise can be attributed to some of their youngsters not living up to the hype (outside of Upton's '09).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
The attendance was listed at 26,292...no freakin way...

The DBack announcers said it was their lowest attendance since 2002.

Yup, first time the "official" attendance was under 27k since 2002. Probably half that many people actually there. I don't know if those were ticket holders not showing up or tickets that the Cubs and their brokers purchased and were unable to sell to anyone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
Yup, first time the "official" attendance was under 27k since 2002. Probably half that many people actually there. I don't know if those were ticket holders not showing up or tickets that the Cubs and their brokers purchased and were unable to sell to anyone.

Ticket brokers own a ton of season tickets and are the holders of most of the empty seats.