2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
Right now, their starters have the #5 ERA in the AL, while every other team in the Central is at the bottom of the league.

It's still only April, if they keep it up for another month or two, I might change my mind.

Adam Dunn is slugging .279 on the season, which is lower than Chone Figgins, Juan Pierre, & Cliff Pennington. That doesn't mean they are better power hitters.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
It's still only April, if they keep it up for another month or two, I might change my mind.

I know they could collapse at any moment...but we've seen Talbot, Masterson, and Carmona all show flashes in the past. That's the talent to be a consistent top 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
I know they could collapse at any moment...but we've seen Talbot, Masterson, and Carmona all show flashes in the past. That's the talent to be a consistent top 3.

I get what you are saying, but I don't see all those guys pitching well enough to match the other teams. Plus, the back of their rotation is pretty weak. Carrasco going on the DL doesn't help.

I could see Masterson keep this up. Carmona reminds me of EJax in that he's consistently inconsistent with his control. Talbot is injured and I don't know if he showed that much in his only full season in the majors.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
I get what you are saying, but I don't see all those guys pitching well enough to match the other teams. Plus, the back of their rotation is pretty weak. Carrasco going on the DL doesn't help.

I could see Masterson keep this up. Carmona reminds me of EJax in that he's consistently inconsistent with his control. Talbot is injured and I don't know if he showed that much in his only full season in the majors.

I'm with you on this, again, there is talent on both KC and Cleveland, but I just don't see either keeping it up. Cleveland had a 10 game stretch where there starters were insane, stuff like that won't keep up.

And hey, a lot of people on the board are using a small sample size of this year to bury the Sox, so I'll use a small sample size of this year and say head-to-head we're going to continue to own the Indians!!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)

Talbot seems more like a journeyman type, at least from our exposure to him in an Indians' uni.

I'm more worried about Alex White or even Tomlin than Talbot winning 13-15 games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Talbot seems more like a journeyman type, at least from our exposure to him in an Indians' uni.

Why?

He's seemed to me like a steal out of a pitching-stacked organization that didn't rank him highly enough.

Indians out of the gate with an early mistake against the Tiggers, throwing to Cabrera and giving up a two-run bomb.

2-0. And the Tribe have a pitcher with an ERA in the stratosphere on the mound going against Scherzer.

By the way, the Indians' announcers were comparing Sizemore and Ordonez and saying how adversely affected both were by injuries to the right side of their body...Sizemore his knee, Ordonez his ankle last year, and apparently he's just a shade of his former self, showing no ability to drive the ball at all in 2011. Strangely enough, Leyland keeps trotting him out there as the #3 hitter. They really need to get Victor Martinez back off the DL.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
If nothing else, at least I can take solace in the Twins sucking every bit as us thus far this season...

If the Sox don't win the division, I really hope the Royals or Indians do. Can't stand the Twins (obvious reasons), and I have to many Tiger fan friends that annoy the crap out of me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 1, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
If the Sox don't win the division, I really hope the Royals or Indians do. Can't stand the Twins (obvious reasons), and I have to many Tiger fan friends that annoy the crap out of me.

Can't they just all lose?

I'm still bitter at the Indians for that whole "Decade of the 1990's".

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Shin-Soo Choo is the latest MLBer in trouble for being drinky. Epic year for DUI's so far.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/...-dui-yesterday/

You would think that this rash of DUI's would cause some blowback against the players by the Commissioner, but you know that won't ever happen.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
You would think that this rash of DUI's would cause some blowback against the players by the Commissioner, but you know that won't ever happen.

Eventually someone's going to kill a bystander while DUI and that'll shake things loose.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
Eventually someone's going to kill a bystander while DUI and that'll shake things loose.

I doubt it. It wasn't enough that Josh Hancock killed himself because of a DUI, or that Nick Adenhart was killed because of a DUI. That player, whoever it will inevitably be, will face the repercussions of the law and Selig or the next guy in line will say that the law has done enough.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Shin-Soo Choo is the latest MLBer in trouble for being drinky. Epic year for DUI's so far.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/...-dui-yesterday/

Not only do the Indians lead the majors in wins with 20, but they just took over 1st place in DUIs with 2.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 3, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)

Nope. Too busy keeping the evil Ozzie Guillen from that really dangerous tweeting...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
Not only do the Indians lead the majors in wins with 20, but they just took over 1st place in DUIs with 2.

Someone give the White Sox a couple cases of Jack and some bumper cars.