2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
The Indians are starting to remind me of the 2006 Tigers. I keep waiting for them to come back to earth and waiting and waiting and they just never do. They aren't this good, but the longer they keep playing over their head, the less they are going to have to win into the future.

Not possible, sorry.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When times are bad, we expect good players to step up. That's what Michael Cuddyer did in 2009 when he filled in for Justin Morneau at first base and did a lot of the heavy lifting in the final weeks as the Twins rallied to win the AL Central in the season of 163 games.

This year, so far, it's not happening.

And this is the most telling manifestation:

So far this season, Cuddyer has three home runs and four RBI in 122 plate appearances. That means he's driven in exactly one player who isn't named Cuddyer.

That was Jason Kubel with a fielder's choice on April 23 against Cleveland.

Save for the solo home runs, Cuddyer does not have a run-scoring hit in the 52 times he's batted with runners on base -- including 27 with runners in scoring position.

Howard Stringer (Section 219), www.startribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Same reason we lose in Oakland usually.

We've only won 6 of our last 30 against Minnesota.

It's this reason alone that Guillen needs to go. Could you imagine having a Bears coach that continually lost to the Packers every single year?

Nope.

That's the equivalent of having a 2-8 record in every 10 games against a team for 3 years running.

By the way, the Twins have received 5 free passes to the basepaths (by the Tigers) in the last 1+ inning and still haven't come up with a hit with RISP. Not to mention a passed ball. If they don't win this game or at least tie it, they really are worse than the White Sox.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
It's this reason alone that Guillen needs to go. Could you imagine having a Bears coach that continually lost to the Packers every single year?

Actually I can. Dick Jauron & Dave Wannstedt. But yes they were fired eventually.

There's a situation where Ozzie would have been grilled.

1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd and you don't want the Twins' best hitter to beat you. It would have put the go-ahead runner at 1st, but geez.

Schlereth already had given up a homer to Kubel, I think it was last night even, and there's Ozzie's dreaded L/L match-up. Morneau does have 2 doubles in this game, but he was the 2nd coldest hitter on the Twins of their "veteran" players. I think 90% of MLB managers would have walked Kubel to face Morneau there, setting up a force at any base.

We'll see how well Mijares and Capps can do with the lead.

Seems like one of those typical Twins' victories that might get their season turned around. Of course, Sox fans have said the same thing at least twice in the last couple of weeks. ONLY THE 3rd TIME THEY"VE SCORED 5 OR MORE RUNS THE ENTIRE SEASON.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:23 AM)
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/121677159.html

Reporters and questioning fans already turning on pretty boy Mauer.

Pat Ruesse is a columnist, not a reporter. His reoccurring theme this year is the Twins are a bunch of pansies because they dont play through injuries.

But there is not doubt about it, the Rochester Minnesota Twins stink this year. They cant score runs, and they chance they do score more than 3 runs, the pitching gives up more. Its hard to watch. I keep waiting for the season to turn a corner, but as we get toward the middle of May and the team floundering, its getting real hard to see things turning around

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 12, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Pat Ruesse is a columnist, not a reporter. His reoccurring theme this year is the Twins are a bunch of pansies because they dont play through injuries.

But there is not doubt about it, the Rochester Minnesota Twins stink this year. They cant score runs, and they chance they do score more than 3 runs, the pitching gives up more. Its hard to watch. I keep waiting for the season to turn a corner, but as we get toward the middle of May and the team floundering, its getting real hard to see things turning around

You still have what, 17 guaranteed wins games against the White Sox left right?

Only 16!!!

I think this might be the first time in recent MLB history that a team with a $100+ million dollary payroll was sitting on the same number of victories for the season as games back in the standings already on May 11th.

That at-bat by Valencia was among the myriad things eating at manager Ron Gardenhire.

"Man on second, doesn't get him over, flips a weak fly ball," Gardenhire said. "That's not good enough. That's not how we play. And [he's like], 'I'm trying.'

"OK, you are trying. Get it done. That's how we have to do it. Get it done because I'm tired of 'trying.'"

Gardenhire said he would have preferred a ground ball to the right side of the infield. It's the little things the manager wants. He's not asking everyone to be Kubel.

www.startribune.com/sports

Another amazing stat. Without Kubel added to the team offensive stats, they're at a .219 BA and something like a 270-280 OBP. Only 3 games all season with five or more runs scored (including the loss last night, which included a blown save in the 8th and a blown tie game in the top of the 9th).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Only 16!!!

I think this might be the first time in recent MLB history that a team with a $100+ million dollary payroll was sitting on the same number of victories for the season as games back in the standings already on May 11th.

Again...the 2010 Mets?