2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2011 -> 02:35 AM)
Thought High Mileage would enjoy this article if he hasn't already seen it, reminiscing about Bo Jackson's arrival 25 years ago and how similar hopes are being placed on Hosmer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ak7z...memories_050611

Great read, thanks man!

We sent Jose Rosado, Ken Harvey and Mark Redman to the ASG. It's been rough here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2011 -> 02:37 AM)
Don't forget Aaron Crow, even though he's a current member of the bullpen, he's a rookie technically.

And Mazzaro from the A's, who was supposed to be the 5th starter coming into ST. That's a lot of starting pitching depth.

The White Sox don't even have a single guy who would come close to cracking the Royals' Top 7.

I agree on all points, but I am not educated on the Sox farm system, at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
Mileage, I still hate you. Odorizzi went nuts tonight.
Dayton Moore has went on record as saying that Odorizzi was the most important part of the Greinke deal.
QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
Who's this Louis Coleman reliever on KC? Fantastic strikeout numbers in the minors, and he's doing well in the majors so far also.
You may remember him from the College Word Series last year. He was huge for LSU...

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 12, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
I agree on all points, but I am not educated on the Sox farm system, at all.

Among those in AA or AAA, Dayan Viciedo is really the only player that could crack the Royals lineup at some point in time.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
I was wondering where he was, he has to better than Teahen right...?

Yeah but Teahen's a bench player and making $10 mill over the next two years, and Viciedo has been moved to the OF because he is so bad defensively at 3B. Don't want to call up Viciedo to have him ride the pine.

I actually think Teahen is in the perfect role. Being overly reliant upon him to be an everyday player is a recipe for disaster, but I think he is a damn good bat to have on the bench. Get him around 200-300 PAs and he'd be just fine.

Scott Boras up to his old tricks already with Hosmer

Agent puts kibosh on Royals locking up Hosmer

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

5 minutes ago

Agent Scott Boras on Thursday shot down any hopes the Kansas City Royals had of signing burgeoning star Eric Hosmer(notes) to a long-term extension, telling Yahoo! Sports he expects massive increases in television revenue to change the landscape of salaries in baseball.

“Athletes have to know that you have to look at the market you’re in,” Boras said. “You can’t look at the markets of the past. For players like Hosmer, as you go back and look, as [Mark] Teixeira had his own market and [Prince] Fielder had his own market, Hosmer will have his own. And something tells me it’s going to be a rather eventful one.”

Hosmer, the 21-year-old first baseman called up by the Royals less than a week ago, is not due to become a free agent until after the 2017 season.

In his six days with Kansas City, however, he has smashed two home runs at Yankee Stadium, batted third in the Royals’ lineup and impressed players, scouts and executives alike. Hosmer is the first in a wave of Royals prospects expected to change the fortunes of the woebegone franchise.

Kansas City Star columnist Sam Mellinger on Thursday suggested the Royals try to lock up Hosmer to a deal that would buy out his arbitration years and include options for his first three free-agent seasons – a deal similar to the one Evan Longoria(notes) signed with Tampa Bay upon his arrival and slightly less than the one Colorado outfielder Carlos Gonzalez(notes), a Boras client, signed last offseason.

Gonzalez was the rare exception for Boras, whose proclivity for taking clients into free agency as soon as possible has landed him some of the biggest deals in the game’s history. He scored Teixeira the largest contract for a first baseman (eight years, $180 million), could eclipse it this offseason with the 27-year-old Fielder and expects Hosmer to reach free agency in the middle of a ripe financial era brought about by new local television contracts in large markets and a new national TV deal come 2013.

“The arbitration markets and free-agent markets are going to be vastly different,” Boras said.

Considering networks happily funneled out a 12-year, $3 billion deal (or $250 million a year) for the Pac-12 TV rights and the NHL was given a 10-year, $2 billion contract ($200 million per annum), MLB’s next deal should dwarf the seven-year, $3 billion contract it signed in 2006.

“Sports are not DVR’d,” Boras said. “People stay and watch it. They don’t flip channels. There’s a broader way of understanding the market. There’s huge values in sports broadcasting rights.”

Boras expects that money to funnel down to lower-revenue teams such as Kansas City. But whether enough comes in that the Royals consider themselves capable of retaining Hosmer – or if Hosmer himself prefers Gonzalez’s tack and asks Boras to negotiate a long-term deal with them – is too far off to consider.

Still, Hosmermania in Kansas City is palpable after his second-deck shot Wednesday and line-drive homer Thursday led the Royals to their first series win in New York since 1999. And it’s just the start. The next position-playing prospect to come up for the Royals, third baseman Mike Moustakas(notes), is another left-handed, power-hitting star in the making. Oh, and they have one more thing in common.

Scott Boras is his agent, too.

Royals just took 2 of 3 from the Yankees in New York. Their fans were booing them tonight in the 2nd inning through the 4th. They chanted "MELKY! MELKY! MELKY!" and cheered loudly for him all series. They also cheered Eric Hosmer, who homered in back to back games. Goddamn I hate the Yankees!!!

Trying to stay loose

Torii Hunter once showered with his bat. Matthew LeCroy once ate a cockroach. Doug Mientkiewicz would sit on a lucky spot on the dugout floor in hopes of sparking a rally. Mike Redmond would take "the naked walk'' through the clubhouse.

The Twins of recent years kept loose -- and fought off prolonged losing streaks.

"We don't have those characters on [this] team,'' Cuddyer said. "We don't have Nick Punto with the green thong. We don't have some of the other stuff. And you can't make people be like that.''

What about fiery players?

"I don't think we've had [fiery] players in the 10 years I've been here,'' Cuddyer said.

The Twins have been successful with their characters and without fiery ones. In 2006, they were 12 games back on July 13 and came back to win the AL Central on the final day of the regular season.

Can players motivate -- or agitate -- a team into winning?

Twins broadcaster Jack Morris, who played in the postseason with the Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays, said every winning team he was on had a couple of players who wouldn't mince words with teammates. He doesn't see that now.

"It's not just this organization,'' he said. "Guys are just quieter. They are afraid to step out of bounds and challenge a teammate.''

Morris said if a team is like a family, it should be easy to chew out your brother.

"There's nothing wrong with that,'' he said. "You do that inside. Don't let you or I see it, but you know where everyone stands.''

ㅈㅈㅈ.ㄴㅅㅁㄳ갸ㅠㅕㅜㄷ.채ㅡ

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
Six days and already the Royals have to worry about losing a player to free agency... That has to be a record.

I will say this model worked terrifically for Joe Crede and Kevin Millwood.

It may be me but I will give up $10M to make $40M instead of giving up $10M to make $10M but that is just me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2011 -> 06:07 AM)
Six days and already the Royals have to worry about losing a player to free agency... That has to be a record.

Aaaaaaand the Yankees just signed him to a $400 million contract. Time flies.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 13, 2011 -> 06:12 AM)
Royals just took 2 of 3 from the Yankees in New York. Their fans were booing them tonight in the 2nd inning through the 4th. They chanted "MELKY! MELKY! MELKY!" and cheered loudly for him all series. They also cheered Eric Hosmer, who homered in back to back games. Goddamn I hate the Yankees!!!

Is this true? If so Yankee fans are bonkers.

Why the f*** would they cheer Hosmer? I don't know why Yankee fans would be in such bad moods. The team has had a decent start.

The Indians just came back from 2 runs down in the bottom of the 9th to walk-off the Mariners, 5-4. Travis Hafner has somehow been resuscitated from the dead. Rumors abound the Indians are interested in either Beltran or Reyes to solidify a playoff push.

Brandon League gave up a two-run jack to Travis Hafner with 2 outs.

Guess we ruined him...guy started out 7/7 in save opportunities and now he's messed up 3-4 games in a row for SEA.

Also, Wedge's return to Cleveland. That sucks.

Fifth straight home win that was in their last at-bat (they lost 2 to TB to break the streak they'd had since losing 2 to us). Oh, and, of course, they miss King Felix.

Meanwhile, the Twins are having a no-hitter thrown against them through 5 by Ricky Romero. And this just in, Verlander's good. Had another no hitter into the 6th against KC, ended up going 8 with 1 run and 2 hits given up to KC. Hosmer K'ed against Valverde as the tying run at the plate in the top of the 9th, 3-1 DET.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
The Indians just came back from 2 runs down in the bottom of the 9th to walk-off the Mariners, 5-4. Travis Hafner has somehow been resuscitated from the dead. Rumors abound the Indians are interested in either Beltran or Reyes to solidify a playoff push.

Brandon League gave up a two-run jack to Travis Hafner with 2 outs.

Guess we ruined him...guy started out 7/7 in save opportunities and now he's messed up 3-4 games in a row for SEA.

Extra special* PRONK Candy Bars.

*The special ingredient is HGH

Edited by Cali

The Indians are doing this with smoke & mirrors and a s*** ton of good look. But, that doesnt mean they can't keep it up all season. That kind of luck can happen all season and get you to October.

They're 15-4 at home. Only 9-9 on the road. The White Sox have more road wins then Cleveland. You'd like to HOPE that kind of disparity catches up to them.

Also, side note, so much for Liriano's No-No sparking the Twins comeback this season. Currently lost 6 in a row.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
The Indians are doing this with smoke & mirrors and a s*** ton of good look. But, that doesnt mean they can't keep it up all season. That kind of luck can happen all season and get you to October.

They're 15-4 at home. Only 9-9 on the road. The White Sox have more road wins then Cleveland. You'd like to HOPE that kind of disparity catches up to them.

Also, side note, so much for Liriano's No-No sparking the Twins comeback this season. Currently lost 6 in a row.

The pitching is probably overachieving. But they're scary to me in the fact that Choo and Santana have been awful and they're still winning. Just a matter of time before those two get going.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
The pitching is probably overachieving. But they're scary to me in the fact that Choo and Santana have been awful and they're still winning. Just a matter of time before those two get going.

true, but I don't see Asdrubal Cabrerea OPS + at 142 or Hafner's at 160 for the rest of the year either, so those 4 may flip flop and pitching comes down to earth a little and they start to slide back.

A lot of it has to do with the durability of Sizemore, too.

He was Ozzie's favorite player in baseball not so long ago. How long will the likes of Masterson, Tomlin and Alex White continue to pitch so well? How long can Chris Perez continue to pull his Houdini Act?

Of course, looking at us, any fan would question Humber's success....Peavy's durability and what the heck's going on with Gordon Beckham and Matt Thornton.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)

You sure it's gonna be both? At least Choo has a track record, Santana's hasn't done much at the big league level. No guarantee he'll become the superstar people seem to think he'll become.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 14, 2011 -> 01:03 AM)
Yankee fans want a white lefty batting Golden god on their team.

Shades of Ruth, Mantle, and Mattingly (plus Josh Hamilton).

Yeah but they'll be cheering for him for four years I guess until he's a free agent.