• 79-81
    • 82-84
    • 85-87
    • 88-90
    • 91-93
    • 94-96
    • 97-99
    • 100+
  2. 2. Where will they finish in the AL Central?

• 1st Place
    • 2nd Place
    • 3rd Place
    • 4th Place
    • 5th Place

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Why do so many people think Peavy will miss whole months?

I think most are skeptical. Like we've all read, there's no precedent for the type of injury Jake suffered. And we all know February is fluff month where everybody is in the best shape of their life, even though they're like 35, and everybody is ready to dominate and overcome past injuries.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
God I would hate to lose to that bad Angels team in the ALDS.

You think they're bad? Excellent rotation. Above average bullpen. No matter how overpaid Wells is, he's an upgrade. If Morales comes back healthy they've got a pretty good team. Oh, that Peter Bourgos kid looks real nice. Dude can fly and he's already above average defensively. He and Trout might be the two fastest guys in baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
You think they're bad? Excellent rotation. Above average bullpen.

ALthough they added Scott Downs, their bullpen was actually below average last year. Their rotation is certainly above average, but after reading what you said about the White Sox starting staff, I think you might lose your mind if Scott Kazmir was the Sox's 5th starter option. I'm not sure I'd apply the word "excellent" just yet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
You think they're bad? Excellent rotation. Above average bullpen. No matter how overpaid Wells is, he's an upgrade. If Morales comes back healthy they've got a pretty good team. Oh, that Peter Bourgos kid looks real nice. Dude can fly and he's already above average defensively. He and Trout might be the two fastest guys in baseball.

No bullpen can be considered above average when Fernando Rodney is the closer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
ALthough they added Scott Downs, their bullpen was actually below average last year. Their rotation is certainly above average, but after reading what you said about the White Sox starting staff, I think you might lose your mind if Scott Kazmir was the Sox's 5th starter option. I'm not sure I'd apply the word "excellent" just yet.

Weaver, Haren and Santana is as good a 1-2-3 as there is in the AL. Pineiro is a serviceable four. Yeah, Kazmir has fallen off a cliff. Maybe really good rotation?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
No bullpen can be considered above average when Fernando Rodney is the closer.

Yeah, I rethought that. They need rebound years from Jepsen and Bulger. Downs is consistent and a guy I wished we had signed instead of Crain. Rodney is mediocre but more than serviceable. They also got the Jap from the Mets.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
91 wins, first in the Central.

Morel has a good rookie season, Dunn hits over 40 home runs, Konerko declines to near 2009 levels, Rios begins the year with struggles, but has a good second half to recover, Beckham has a breakout season, and Peavy starts 25 games.

I'm going with this.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)

Does it seem pretty cool that the Angels have had both Salmon and Trout? Too bad they never had Catfish.

90 wins, division champs, ahead of the Twins and then the Tigers.

Konerko reverts back to 2009 numbers, Dunn hits 40 hrs. Rios floats around a .740 OPS, Beckham turns in a .800 OPS season.

Peavy comes back in late April, but isn't the same, he delivers around a 4.5 ERA, which is second worst on the staff to Beurhle's 4.75 ERA.

Sale is put in to close, he struggles from time to time but delivers a good season, Santos is spectacular for the first few months and midseason he tires a bit and regresses.

Pierre leads in Stolen bases, and caught stealing, is still pretty pathetic offensively. Quentin starts cold, than in June has a monster month only to regress again. Viciedo is called up to take his place after he is traded at the deadline for extra bullpen help or a prospect (Pena or the sort is replaced if need be).

Flowers rebounds at AAA and is poised to be the catcher in 2012.

98 wins.

Sox offense will be a juggernaut, led by Dunn and CQ, who makes a stunning turnaround. John Danks matures into an ace and leads with staff with 21 wins.

Sox beat Tigers (wild card) in ALCS and edge out PHI in WS with a bomb off the bat of Beckham in game 7, cementing his legendary status in singles bars throughout the city.

why is everyone saying PKs gonna have a down year? I dont think he'll have as good a season as last year but thats not really saying much seeing as he had an mvp season. I see him putting up a .280/36/97/.360 line

Dunn hits 44 bombs and hits the longest HR ever at the cell, sorry borchard(or does thome have that title now)

Beckham hits .300+

Pierre leads the league in sb by a wide margin

Rios bats 3rd all season long and reaps the benefits of batting in front of Dunn and steals close to 40

Lexi wins another silver slugger

CQ regains his TCQ name here on soxtalk, not quite 08 carlos but he hits 35 bombs

morel has a solid rookie campaign batting .270ish

AJ bats .290+

SAle win ROY saving 30+ games with a sub 3 era

Jackson is an all star, danks get snubbed

Peavy makes 25 starts wins 13 of those and has a sub 4 era

Buehrle has a sub 4 era and wins 15

Floyd puts up the only era above 4, below 4.20

Sox win 96, win the division by 6 games, lose to Roy Halladay in game 7 of the WS

Obviously can't read the BP article, but I do see that they have the Twins winning and suggest that the Twins bullpen could be just as good again. Now, I believe in the Twins philosophy as much as the next guy, but I just can't see how their bullpen doesn't take atleast a step back. I see 2 bullpen guys they can count on in Capps and Mijares, a wild card in Joe Nathan - so probably 3 relievers assured of being good - plus probably Duensing too (though he should really be in the rotation). If they end up going with Duensing in the rotation, which I think is the correct route to go, then they end up with probably Blackburn in the bullpen, and in there, he's Tony Pena at his best and a AAAA pitcher at his worst.

I am never one to underestimate the Twins, but I thought much more highly of them going into last season than I did this one. I think their rotation is due for some regression - namely Pavano - and they lost what I figure to be about 2-3 wins in the middle infield..Hardy was 2.4, Hudson was 3.1, so they had a combined 5.5 WAR from their middle infield last season. I figure Alexi Casilla is probably a 1-1.5 WAR player, so if they are to replace that in the middle infield alone, they better hope that Nishioka does his best Ichiro impression. Valencia came up and tattooed the ball, so he is going to have to prove he can do it again. I think he's a solid hitter, but I was never incredibly impressed with him...quick bat, but that can be exploited.

I'm not saying they aren't going to be a good team, but I do think the White Sox should win this division. If they play like they did last year with the improvements they've made to the lineup, they will win it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
why is everyone saying PKs gonna have a down year? I dont think he'll have as good a season as last year but thats not really saying much seeing as he had an mvp season. I see him putting up a .280/36/97/.360 line

Dunn hits 44 bombs and hits the longest HR ever at the cell, sorry borchard(or does thome have that title now)

Beckham hits .300+

Rios bats 3rd all season long and reaps the benefits of batting in front of Dunn and steals close to 40

CQ regains his TCQ name here on soxtalk, not quite 08 carlos but he hits 35 bombs

AJ bats .290+

Sox win 96, win the division by 6 games, lose to Roy Halladay in game 7 of the WS

If Rios is hitting 3rd and getting on in front of Dunn all year, he better not steal 40 bases. He really shouldn't even be trying to steal that much in that situation. Dunn does not hit for average, so if he gets on base, it's, more often than not, going to by by a walk or a home run. If he walks, Rios is going to advance no matter what. If he hits a homer, Rios is going to score no matter what.

Now, if Viciedo were hitting cleanup, it would make a little more sense for Rios to be running.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)

Beckham hits .300+

AJ bats .290+

Will win 105 games if all this comes to fruition. Oh, and being skeptical about PK is more than fair. Look at his 2007-2009 numbers and it's easy to doubt if he can repeat his '10 at age 35. You just don't see many 35-year old non-DHs sport .900+ OPSs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
Will win 105 games if all this comes to fruition. Oh, and being skeptical about PK is more than fair. Look at his 2007-2009 numbers and it's easy to doubt if he can repeat his '10 at age 35. You just don't see many 35-year old non-DHs sport .900+ OPSs.

You don't see many 35 year olds putting up .900+ OPSs whether or not they are DHing.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)

Beckham hits .300+

AJ bats .290+

You are definitely Mr. Optimist.

And most put Konerko at his career average for a reason, very few explode like he did at the age/injuries he has had. I don't expect him to repeat that, but his career numbers of around .280/.350/.500 seems reasonable to me. I also foresee him losing some time to injury, specifically his thumb since it's a chronic injury.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
If Rios is hitting 3rd and getting on in front of Dunn all year, he better not steal 40 bases. He really shouldn't even be trying to steal that much in that situation. Dunn does not hit for average, so if he gets on base, it's, more often than not, going to by by a walk or a home run. If he walks, Rios is going to advance no matter what. If he hits a homer, Rios is going to score no matter what.

Agreed. If Rios is standing on second after a steal, that may take the bat out of Dunn's hands on an IBB.

point taken on Rios stealing 40 bags, i just figured Dunn wouldnt be getting a lot of fastballs(come to think of this may also be false thinking, i know pitchers will go upstairs with the fastball to get him out but wont they throw a lot of breaking stuff to get to 2 strikes?)...Paulie had an mvp caliber season at 34 i think he'll take a step down but not by much, esp if CQ has a monster year batting behind him. After rereading it i do sound extremely optimistic and i am, i dont see why all those couldnt happen, they more than likely wont but hell its february 15th so why not