Things sure change in one year...

Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
This time last year we were all loving up on ESPY TEAHEN on twitter and thinking he was hilarious and also going to not suck at baseball.

What other perceptions changed in the last year, be they Sox, MLB, or anything?

I still like Mark, and I think his bat is above average for a bench guy playing 3B, DH and corner OF every so often. He's just a butcher at 3B defensively and shouldn't be a starter - he is what he is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
Alex Rios was a huge, huge POS last offseason. OMG he has had a bad month in September, why would they give so much money to such an awful player. Looks kind of silly now.

Yeah, that .684 OPS he posted in 2010 post All-Star Break really silenced all the critics.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Yeah, that .684 OPS he posted in 2010 post All-Star Break really silenced all the critics.

The .878 OPS in the first half sure did. And considering he's an .807 career hitter in the first half, and a .740 in the second half, it didn't exactly come out of left field (it came out of center field!)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
The .878 OPS in the first half sure did. And considering he's an .807 career hitter in the first half, and a .740 in the second half, it didn't exactly come out of left field (it came out of center field!)

To be fair, outside of May, Rios was pretty ordinary. I expect more from him considering his skill-set.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
To be fair, outside of May, Rios was pretty ordinary. I expect more from him considering his skill-set.

You are correct in this, but pretty ordinary offensively and good defensively was a big upgrade for the White Sox in CF and, really, is still pretty valuable overall, and then you do have to factor in that monstrosity of a May.

Nobody is b****ing about Rios this winter. Several people have even indicated that they want him hitting 3rd. I think that's wrong, but to suggest that Rios is in anything but good graces is wrong.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
You are correct in this, but pretty ordinary offensively and good defensively was a big upgrade for the White Sox in CF and, really, is still pretty valuable overall, and then you do have to factor in that monstrosity of a May.

Nobody is b****ing about Rios this winter. Several people have even indicated that they want him hitting 3rd. I think that's wrong, but to suggest that Rios is in anything but good graces is wrong.

...including Ozzie.... The pressure for offensive output for both Rios and Quentin is so much different with that Monster Donkey in the lineup this season. I also think Becks will have a huge season in 2011.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
We were all psyched that Beckham would rake in 2010 and start to really develop, although I do remember some mentioning a possible sophmore slump.

GO SOX!!!

Beckham through his first 260 PAs: .199/.270/.251/.521

Beckham in his final 238 PAs: .310/.369/.516/.885

There's reason for optimism.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:37 AM)
If Quentin just does what he did in 2010 in this lineup, that's gonna work.

26 HR and an .800+ OPS from the 6ish spot will be more than enough from Quentin.. he gets a raw deal because of how awesome he was a few years ago, but I had no problem with what he brought to the lineup last season

QUOTE (T R U @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 05:33 AM)
26 HR and an .800+ OPS from the 6ish spot will be more than enough from Quentin.. he gets a raw deal because of how awesome he was a few years ago, but I had no problem with what he brought to the lineup last season

He gets a raw deal because that low .800's OPS is barely enough production to offset the terrible job he did defensively in RF.